• 1 Post By Surge
  • 2 Post By sonar usbl
  • 1 Post By LiamFN2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 16:03 Thread Starter

Car: 2005 2.2L CDTI Sport
Garage
Thoughts on upgrade to FN2 and feedback

So I've had my 2.2 for nearly two years now and looking to change car after many miles. I've shortlisted a couple of cars and one of them is the FN2. I test drove one the other day in Swindon whilst I was there, and wanted to check my feedback against what other people make of theirs and see what the general opinion is. Unfortunately, I only manged to get into VTEC once and about 45mph thanks to driving in the town centre and the lunchtime traffic.

Here are my thoughts:

The low rev torque is mega in comparison to my expectations. I thought it would really lack coming from the diesel but it pulls really strongly in first and second. I'd be interested to know at what point it slows down because I didn't get to thrash it in the traffic and the speed up to about 80/90 is what really matters. I even had it wheelspinning in the rain

The seating position is a bit strange. The front seats are too high in the civic as it is (I'm tall) but although I had a slightly different driving position in the CTR, I had to recline the seat to keep my head off the headliner, and both me and my fiancee found the 2.2 to be more low slung and further back.

The clutch was heavier in traffic, and it needed some revs to pull away. Not too surprised about the revs, but thought the clutch would be lighter than the diesel.

It's REALLY quiet on idle. I had to double check there wasn't start stop because it was really nice to not hear the engine in traffic but hear it roar into life with some right foot action. Overall the sound was decent for a stock 4cyl..

The ride felt stiffer but more refined than the diesel - I'm not sure if this is because my 2.2 is tired or whether its the weight. You still feel the bumps but they're not bone shattering like in the diesel.

The cabin felt a bit more premium - the seats helped with this a lot. The red is nice inside too.

Seemed like very generous room in the back, and slightly surprised there isn't a 5th seat.

The lack of memory seats when pulling them forward to get people in the back is such a pain.

Insurance is about £100 more for me, without mods. Not sure what I'd do given some changes to the car are likely along the way.

Seemed comfortable but not sure how long I'd want to be clamped in the seats for. Surely better than the diesel given the lack of lower back support on the stock seats.

It felt so nice to have something sportier whilst keeping all the best parts of the civic - massive boot, folding rear seats, great dials. It was nice to have some extras that I don't have now such as parking sensors, folding mirrors, auto lights/wipers. But I will probably miss the HID's (would switch for whiter bulbs in the CTR) and wish it had heated seats and a sun roof. But I get that's not the point of this car. Would also like to have nav but not sure how good it is in the 8th gen given their age.

Not sure on economy but the car I was in had managed 3.2mpg over 3 miles! I imagine this is because they were using the heaters and air conditioning to dry the car after the valet, but I would expect around 30mpg average?

Also a shout out to Cross Street Garage in Swindon who were really nice and seemed like good guys. The one I drove was a bit over priced IMO but they seem to be good sellers and look after their cars.

Last edited by Surge; 2nd April 2018 at 17:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 16:33
Supporter

Go for it!

I sat on the fence for ages when I had my FN1.

I agree with most points you have noted.
Seat feels higher, plenty of low down pull, better ride etc.

Vtec kicks in just above 5k and pulls stronger as the revs build all the way to the red line.

Iíve never driven the diesel so canít comment on the way they drive but diesels usually suit my driving style.

But saying that the FN2 engine and gearbox are very well matched, always power and revs available when required.

I absolutely love mine and donít regret making the change one bit
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 16:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
The higher seating position worries me a bit. At 6'3", there's a lot of me to fit in the car! I already strain my neck and can't see the top of the gauges with the steering wheel in the way. Need to have another go in one. Running costs worry me a bit, as there is higher tax and insurance on the CTR, although petrol is now slightly cheaper than diesel and should stay that way.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 17:18
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
You can pump the seat lower and adjust the steering wheel
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 17:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
You can pump the seat lower and adjust the steering wheel
I had the seat as low as possible and the steering wheel as high as possible!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2018, 18:48
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
I'm 6' 4" & 17+ stone with long legs and I can fit in comfort.
It was also one of my main concerns before I bought mine last November
Have done 2-3 hour drives with no problem - more comfortable than my 120D SE BMW seats for sure!
You just have to persevere to get your seat right and then keep it there - let back seat passengers in from the passenger side not yours.
The ride is supposed to be stiff, it's a 5 door sports car, but not excessively so, more jiggly and fidgety over the road surface imperfections. It smooths out when you give it some, just put the best tyres you can afford on it.

Tax is a PITA at £300+ but the insurance is not excessively higher than than a normal FN2 as you found out (shop around a bit more perhaps?). You will find that normal servicing is the same price as the std petrol model - check out Honda fixed price servicing on the website.
I am getting between 25-30 mpg depending on the journey and how much lead I put in my right shoe.
I am having a hoot driving the CTR, it has put a smile back on my driving face & fun back into my driving at 57.
Try another test drive and see if you can get out of urban traffic and give it some, it might make your mind up in an instant.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2018, 17:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Yes I do need to do another test drive and see what its like at higher speeds. It's very much taking my fancy at the moment.
Farqui likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 11:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
What do people find it like on the motorway and long drives?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 18:14
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
The only issue with motorways is the low gearing, so 80 mph = 4,000 rpm, always feels like it needs a 7th gear.
Cruise control works fine so let it do the work, should get 30+ mpg unless you have too much fun.
The critical part of comfort is to get the seat right, they are very comfortable if you get them set up to suit your body.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 18:43
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansi View Post
The only issue with motorways is the low gearing, so 80 mph = 4,000 rpm, always feels like it needs a 7th gear.
Cruise control works fine so let it do the work, should get 30+ mpg unless you have too much fun.
The critical part of comfort is to get the seat right, they are very comfortable if you get them set up to suit your body.
4k at 80 is pretty acceptable to be honest. My DC2 is even worse and is at 4.5k!!! Kiss goodbye to decent mpg in that at those revs.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 18:44
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post
What do people find it like on the motorway and long drives?
Go and take it for a proper drive mate in all the conditions you need it for, then you can make a proper informed decision on it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 20:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
Go and take it for a proper drive mate in all the conditions you need it for, then you can make a proper informed decision on it.
I will! It's a shame there are none in my local area, will need to try and find the time to visit one somewhere else.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 22:33
Supporter

Car: 2009 ctr,milano
Garage
Hi mate,romansi is spot on about the seating position....take some time to find the right position and dont move it,let everyone get in via passenger door...iv found the factory sat nav to be very good,i have the latest map dvd and have driven all over the south east/west to some very obscure places for our youngest`s football matches and its never let me down,and unlike my mates vauxhall moka built-it,ours does postcode destination...iv always found the low down torque perfectly fine,and as the revs and speed build,it just keeps pulling and pulling..insurance is ok @ £385 with declared mods(was paying £600 with mods on the old E46 M3).The FN2 gets stick for the very hard ride but i dont think its that bad..whats changed since its 2006/7 launch is that the roads have suffered from a decade of severe under-investment,being clamped in the seat for a few hours is just part of the "R" experience.. if i want to relax and waffed along ill take the zafira..if i want an enjoyable drive..its the FN...the only PITA is the fact that the space saver wont fit on the front if you have a punture,so you`d have to swap the back wheel to then front then fit the saver on the rear as the brake callipers are too big to fit SS on the front,so iv stuck a full size in the boot LOL...sound system is ok,well,maybe its a bit pants...but im not botherd..#miltekcatback...as other have said,you need a good hour or so to start to appreciate what the FN2 wants to give you...but as others have said,get the best premium tyres you can afford,...great cars..goodluck fella
hondacivicnut and Surge like this.
Thanks to sonar usbl from:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th April 2018, 21:33
Supporter

Car: 2009 Accord EX Tourer
Garage
I've driven mine loads on motorways and found it fine, although does seem to drink fuel much quicker once you go above 75-80mph!
Wilmo likes this.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page