No brakes at all - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th April 2018, 00:51 Thread Starter

No brakes at all

Hi everybody,

I am living in New Caledonia (small french territory in South Pacific) and my Type-R FN2 is the only one here, as our Honda dealer is only importing basic models (Jazz/Fit, CR-V, and so on). I thought that trusting them with my car's maintenance would be a good thing, but not only did they do NOTHING during its first 56000Kms (the actual mechanic in charge of my car's maintenance worked for them in the past and told me they never even changed the air filter, he had to wash it with gasoline while waiting for a K&N...), and above all that, they also ****ed up the brakes when they changed the rear pads...

The thing is, the issue didn't happen instantly, so now it's way too late to do anything against them...I slowly felt the brakes loosen up, the ABS not working (but no warning of any kind either), and then I had to pump to be able to harden the pedal and stop the car.

We checked the brake fluid many times, no air bubbles in it. I ordered a new master cylinder, but as I am not a mechanic myself, I didn't know it would be reversed (ordere in UK), so the guy had to take what he needed inside the new one and put into the old one, but it didn't solve the issue.

Has anyone here experienced this kind of issue already ? No warning regarding the ABS, brakes issue happening gradually, to the point that the pedal is now fully soft and I cannot brake at all.

Is there any way that some parts are the same as other models that we could find here "quite easily" ?

Thank you very much for your ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th April 2018, 08:24
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
did this only happen once?
My first thought would be the piston in the rear caliper was sitting on top of the little locating pins on the back of the pads. Over time the piston moved and settled into the correct position meaning you had to take up the gap between piston and pad.
locating pins are typically around 3-4mm high, and normal movement is more in the region of 0.5mm so you had to pump the brakes a few times to take up the gap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th April 2018, 10:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi ! Thanks for your answer

The issue stayed consistent for a while (it happenned all the time, so to speak) and got worse through time, to the point where I finally had no brakes at all. I don't know if this could be related to what you described, but at that point, pumping had no effect at all anymore !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th April 2018, 16:31
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
i'd say not. i'd expect it to 'jump' between feeling good and bad as the piston jumps into the correct position with the pad pin, but after a pump or 2 would of returned back to normal.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th April 2018, 22:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
i'd say not. i'd expect it to 'jump' between feeling good and bad as the piston jumps into the correct position with the pad pin, but after a pump or 2 would of returned back to normal.

Alright, so we can rule this out already

What would be all the possible issues that could potentially disable the brakes ? (taking into account the fact that I get no warning on the dashboard o_O' )

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page