ABS/VSA advice requested - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sprinter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 20:33 Thread Starter

ABS/VSA advice requested

Hi all,
The CTR has been running great, and to say that ive been enjoying driving it for two years now it an understatement, makes an old man very happy.

However some time ago i had a VSA/ABS light come on, it was on and off for a while but now its on all of the time. My brother in law read the codes with torque and it stated that i have a sensor issue (pretty sure it was offside rear) however whilst the lights are still on i just plugged my reader in to read them before buying a replacement sensor and no codes, i suspect he cleared it ;(

So any advice before i buy a new sensor? I guess if its not the offside it mustbe nearside, it was deffinately rear and without codes if after replacement the lights are still on i will have to dothe other.

If i really need to brake hard or on a gravel surface then i do get lots of ABS sounds and i feel ineffective braking, any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 23:09
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
theres a few of us on here had to replace the off side rear on our civics

but if the lights are still on there should still be a code listed
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th July 2018, 10:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I agree that there should be a code, ive even taken the earth lead off for a couple of mins to see if that would force the error to come back, but it didnt, guess i will rely on memory and hope i get the right one

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th July 2018, 10:20
Supporter

does the diagnostic adapter you used do live data ?
you can maybe use the live data mode to see if its picking up wheel speed from all 4 wheels
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th July 2018, 11:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Im just using an elm and torque

However the problem has deteriorated, i snapped the bolt trying to get the sensor out, so i guess its a new hub at 150 quid, or get the hub off and try to extract the remaining part of the bolt out, obviosly i will try to drill the bolt out and retap it before i think about the replacing the hub

On the bright side eurocarparts have 35% discount this weekend so shes getting a free oil change
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th July 2018, 12:11
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
You cannot use an OBD2 device for reading VSA/ABS codes. And that includes ELM327 and torque.

You shouldn't have started without getting the relevant code read by someone using a proper reader.

Last edited by Jon_G; 8th July 2018 at 12:13.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th July 2018, 17:01
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Too late Jon.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11th July 2018, 20:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Update time, not sure why its ok to read some codes with Elm/Torque and not others, but as stated it was already too late..

Just to be safe i thought i would plug the new sensor in before even removing the old one “Bingo” warning light went out

Great, jacked it up, on axel stands, wheel off and dig out my tools, small ratchet on the sensor bolt, 1/4 turn and “Snap” the bolt sheered, i wasnt even putting much pressure on it, then the sensor wouldn't come out, apply brute force to a drift and it breaks up ;( drifted as much out as i could then cleaned the hole up with a drill, inserted the new sensor in the hole and it fitted nice and snug, good.

Caliper off, disk off hub off and started applying plus gas to the remainder of the bolt, took the hub to my cousins today (her husband runs his own engineering firm) he didnt want to try to extract the remainder of the bolt but milled a hole straight through the hub, i agreed as there was lots of room inside so the sensor is now bolted in place (sure its more hassle if it goes again but so be it), home with the bits and started putting it all back together (another 5 min job right, i wish).

I need to wind the piston back in but couldnt find my rewind tool, cleaned up and called it a day, apparently the tool is at my brother in laws, the wife will get it tomorrow and i should have it back up and running again, on the bright side the sensor is in place and the light is out, never trust a 10 minute job...
scaramanga likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11th July 2018, 20:37
Supporter

why buy a new hub just drill the old bolt out even if you have to buy tap and die set to cleen thread cheaper than £150 for hub

as already said above the reader you used 2nd time round looks like it don't do abs codes
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11th July 2018, 21:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I didn't but a new hub mate, I took the old one off because there is no room to drill it whilst its in its normal place, once it was off I realized that i didn't want to drill and extract the old broken bit as my cousins husband has an engineering class milling machine, so he drilled it out for me.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11th July 2018, 22:05
Supporter

yeah I noticed as soon as id posted your last post you said you had removed hub

end of day you look to be sorted which is the main thing
even though the light will go out the code will still be in ecu until you clear with a suitable code reader
unfortunately im too far away to help with that unless you fancy a run to cumbria
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12th July 2018, 09:50
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
I suspect that the answer to that will not be "OK, thanks, I'll pop round this afternoon".
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th July 2018, 14:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Next time i am in Cumbria i will pop in and have the code cleared from the ECU, unfortunately i live in Cornwall but a mere 7 hour drive, many thanks for your kind offer but i think your safe

Its in for its MOT today or tomorrow (left it at the garage and they will do it when they can), it should fail with a broken fog lamp, but i have a new one arriving today (and have ordered a nice pair of smoked protectors from ebay (from the forum guy)) so i will grab the car and fit the lights tonight before taking it back or i will take it back for a retest if they do it today and it does fail.

Once its MOT's its time for an oil and filter change, new plugs and then next pay day a trip to Honda to check the valve clearances

Saw a couple of nice Civics at the Wadebridge Wheels car show, anyone from here?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th July 2018, 15:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

She just sailed through the MOT with no advisories, so i will make sure i have the correct fog lamp before dropping the bumper and changing it

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page