• 1 Post By ghost_bhp
  • 1 Post By Michael D'Silva

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 08:34 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 CTR FN2, Black
Garage
Suspension or Driveshaft

So I'm currently having an internal debate and here's why:

I bought a CTR FN2 2009 a few weeks back and have loved it ever since, however there is one part that it's incredibly frurstrating, there's a judder throughout the car when accelerating between 55 - 70 MPH regardless of gear. I changed the tyres and brakes before eventually taking it to Honda for a health check.
The car is lowered and has a custom exhaust which are the only two mods I am aware of.... That an a really bad aftermarket gear knob

I took it out with the engineer who immediately agreed that it was probably driveshaft but wanted to give the car a look. Fine by me! Let's find out all the issues.

I return and he states that it may be the driveshaft but it's more likely the lowered suspension causing the drive angle to not be aligned properly and that I need to put it back to OEM springs which trying to find outside of Honda and not costing £400 (not including fitting) is impossible.

NOW! The issue I have is, it sounds plausible that it could be the suspension but I believe it's APR springs (Eibach in another name?) lowered around 30mm (The bloke I bought it off didn't do the mods and had no idea) and I just find it hard to believe that no-one else on this forum has had this issue with lowered springs on OEM shocks...

Is there any sense to that? I don't want to spend either a small amount of money (springs) or a large amount (coilovers) for potentially a non-fix as it's then the driveshafts...

Would LOVE some advice right about now! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 10:57
Supporter

Car: 2019 CTR
How low is it? Mine has been on eibach springs for 18 months and I’ve never experienced any judder.

Personally my first move would be to check all 4 wheels are balanced and that that tires are ok, then have an alignment checked.

I’m sure someone with more experience will chip in soon though
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 15:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
From only looking at eye level, I'm thinking abour 30mm+ scrapes on quite a lot...

Tyres have been checked and two have been replaced but the old ones were cracked....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 22:31
Supporter

Car: FN2
Garage
What mileage is it on? As there have been cases where the driveshafts have needed to be replaced. I've been stupidly low on coilovers for a long time, only recently raised it back to the standard height ish.
Farqui likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 12:50

i have normal springs and have the same issue, purchased aftermarket drive shafts (CVs) but haven't put them in yet. I hope it fixes the problem as the parts are not cheap. Can let you know once i get around to putting them in
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 18:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D'Silva View Post
i have normal springs and have the same issue, purchased aftermarket drive shafts (CVs) but haven't put them in yet. I hope it fixes the problem as the parts are not cheap. Can let you know once i get around to putting them in
If you can let me know what happens as a result. When do you intend to get yours changed?

If I changed suspension only to then have to replace the driveshafts afterwards would not do my wallet any favours.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 18:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_bhp View Post
What mileage is it on? As there have been cases where the driveshafts have needed to be replaced. I've been stupidly low on coilovers for a long time, only recently raised it back to the standard height ish.
This is why I was curious as to whether I should need to. This is my first lowered car and I am enjoying the ridiculousness of it all.
I've just pushed 101,000 miles so I'm assuming if it's been drive like a Type R. They probably have seen their share of better days.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 22:50
Supporter

Garage
Going back to standard ride height will only put the Camber and angle etc back to standard, which is what Iím assuming he is aiming at being th problem. you could get this standard or frs set up on lowered also via Camber bolts and shims. But
I have the judder issue on our FRV, itís particularly bad around 60 mph, I have replaced the near side drive shaft that has improved the situation, I am yet to replace the off side which should hopefully fully cure the problem. I was also advised to change the gearbox oil, not sure why but I did, which made no difference to the judder but meant a smoother gear change..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffaruni View Post
If you can let me know what happens as a result. When do you intend to get yours changed?

If I changed suspension only to then have to replace the driveshafts afterwards would not do my wallet any favours.
Hopefully will do it this next week or week after, my mechanic has hurt his back and is currently out of work.

I'm about to hit 200,000km so far all i have ever needed to change in the cars life was the idler pulley (made car sound like supercharger) and something above clutch peddle (cylinder or something) which caused the peddle to not pop up 100%.

I took it to a suspension place and they said wheel hubs, suspension and springs are fine, they also said the CVs were fine......
Researching around Honda Odyssey and S2000 had same issue and they both ended up being the inner joins in the CVs (the bit that goes on the engine side). S2000 owners are able to simply swap the CVs left-right but we are not that lucky.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th October 2018, 12:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Hey, have you had any chance to get this done? Keen to find out about your hopeful success!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th October 2018, 03:33

Not yet, my guy hurt his back, waiting for him to get better...
I will call him during the week
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 24th October 2018, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffaruni View Post
Hey, have you had any chance to get this done? Keen to find out about your hopeful success!

Hi all,

Finally got my CVs changed! Massive difference, car is smooth, no issues so far, got them done yesterday. No vibrations at all so far.

I ended up using MFactory CVs (MFactory Competition Products - Performance Driveline Components) rather than the Honda ones, as Honda was too expensive and MFactory actually give you specs and tell you what is in it and how it is made etc.

If i get any trouble in the next few days i will let you know. It is not a cheap fix so the risk was(is) high.

Cheers
Farqui likes this.
Thanks to Michael D'Silva from:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th October 2018, 12:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D'Silva View Post
Hi all,

Finally got my CVs changed! Massive difference, car is smooth, no issues so far, got them done yesterday. No vibrations at all so far.

I ended up using MFactory CVs (MFactory Competition Products - Performance Driveline Components) rather than the Honda ones, as Honda was too expensive and MFactory actually give you specs and tell you what is in it and how it is made etc.

If i get any trouble in the next few days i will let you know. It is not a cheap fix so the risk was(is) high.

Cheers

Waahey! Glad to know you're back on the road and fully running! Also exciting prospect for myself!

I think you've definitely finalised the need for mine to be replaced!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th October 2018, 13:55

Can feels smoother than i remember when i got it new!

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page