Which Type R?

So Iím becoming rather disenchanted with my 1.6D tourer
Adequate but not as good on the go as the old 2.2 D
Can probably now spend a little on a second Type R
Looking to have one for a year to start with and then possibly sell
So the plan is to buy well and not loose to much capital
If the finance was right I could just get an fk8
An fk2 would be more sensible
But would an fn2 be any good for this venture?
I know they are all different and in different sectors of the market but the aim is for the most fun for a year and then get as many££ back as possible
Iíve done spreadsheets
Iíve read about gearbox problems
And now I need assistance in choosing best option
If youíre still reading Iíd like to hear your reasoned comments
Thank you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 16:48
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
If you are looking for most fun and return, and FK2 is probably a good bet, as they are now out of production, and there aren't many around - Other than that, I've heard quite a few owners say that they prefer the FK2 for raw enjoyment over the Fk8, Though the FK8 is a little more refined.

Not so sure on the FN2; The prices are quite low now (depending on the quality of the example), though they have done most of their depreciation already.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 14th December 2018, 16:55
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
FK2 more raw and fun and even when I had the FK8 for the first few months I stated I preferred the FK2, however I have had the FK8 a year in 8 days and now I doubt I would be happy to swap this for a FK2 which is mainly down to the technology etc. Read into this what you want but both are great cars to drive

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th December 2018, 09:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2017 1.6 Tourer Sport
We also have a 10 gen 1.6 D (fk7?)
The technology takes some getting used to
But itís growing on me
One reason why the fk8 is on the list is that everything is so much more integrated
And even though I swore Iíd never say it electric handbrakes are really rather good!
Plus there would be more warranty to pass on at the end on a newer car
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th December 2018, 09:22
Supporter

Car: 2019 CTR
If you wanna lose the least money on it the FN2 (or an EP3) is the only way to go. Both have done the bulk of their depreciating and will be much easier to sell privately after a year. People will want finance on an FK8 and probably an FK2 and private sales can be tough.

A clean, moderate miles example of either of the NA cars bought privately could be sold again a year down the line for similar to what you paid (particularly the ep3)
Soichiro, scottyr and Bones126 like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th December 2018, 12:41
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_james View Post
If you wanna lose the least money on it the FN2 (or an EP3) is the only way to go. Both have done the bulk of their depreciating and will be much easier to sell privately after a year. People will want finance on an FK8 and probably an FK2 and private sales can be tough.

A clean, moderate miles example of either of the NA cars bought privately could be sold again a year down the line for similar to what you paid (particularly the ep3)
Agree.
FK2 are at the £20k mark now for early ones, FN2 are £10k for the very last with low mileages.
The FK2 would have sold for around £30k and be 3-4 years old, the FN2 sold for £20k and be 7-8 years old.
A decent FN2 with reasonable mileage for age, service history and condition probably around £5k all day.
My totally standard FN2 is the most fun I've had this side of a motorbike and even the Mrs likes it, is the extra complexity and 100BHP worth it if you only want to keep it for a year?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 15th December 2018, 12:58
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Fun? Thread closed/

FergyCiv and Bones126 like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 16th December 2018, 10:13
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,217 Posts
JDM if you don't want to lose capital, EP, DC, FD all hold value
Bones126 and Das like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th December 2018, 09:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the comments
Had a look round for a bread van and havenít found anything that grabs
Found some Championship White fn2s that look good
Like you say romansi simpler car only 100hp less
Like the colour and the wheels plus I think they have a LSD which would make more desirable in the future.
Seem to go for £7-10k so I will need to save for a little while and try search out a good one
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th December 2018, 09:49
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
300 quid remaps your 1.6d to 309 lb/ft - maybe try that first and see you you feel? I'm going to get mine done after xmas (celtic).

Some simple mods will make it better to drive too, bilsteins, eibach, light wheels etc.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th December 2018, 10:11 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.e View Post
300 quid remaps your 1.6d to 309 lb/ft - maybe try that first and see you you feel? I'm going to get mine done after xmas (celtic).

Some simple mods will make it better to drive too, bilsteins, eibach, light wheels etc.
Not a bad idea
Slight problem that the 1.6 is still under warranty and on a pcp as I use it for work and have to change it every two to three years
Thought a second ctr would be fun for none work day and have tinkering mod potential....
rob.e likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 19th December 2018, 16:35
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
Not a huge amount of FK2 mods available, less so if you want it done right. Close to impossible if you want it cheap. i base any work on the FK2R as £1k minimum as well as 1month wait for performance parts.
Only real concern on fk2/8 is gearbox issues that have yet to be diagnosed and Honda are being useless on warranty for it. Rest of the car seems pretty solid.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st December 2018, 00:38
Supporter

I have both an FK2 and an FN2 so my thoughts may be helpful...

If I'd have had the money I'd have bough the FK8. Sadly I didn't so I can't really comment on it.
Having said that the FK2 is an absolute beast and I love the rarity of it, I think I've seen one other in the flesh since I bought mine in August.
The FN2, whilst it does not compare in terms of raw power, is still an absolute pleasure to drive - I love the NA power delivery and the high rev limit which is lots of fun. The FK2 seems brutal but you almost get to the redline too fast taking away a little bit of the fun.
Handling wise I have to say the FK2 is again well ahead of the FN2 but the FN2 is still more than adequate for having lots of fun.

Now on to money...
If you are looking to not lose too much in depreciation then it has to be the FN2. Although FK2 prices do seem to be holding up well (dealership retail prices actually seem stable or to have risen ever so slightly in the last few months), there is no way of knowing in which direction they will go, or how quickly. FK8's are likely to depreciate too just given the fact of how new they are.

So, in terms of depreciation the FN2 would seem the best bet. A word of warning though... My FN2 has cost me close to 2K since September in tyres, brake disks and pads (I know these are all consumables), but then also front shocks and most recently a new clutch. Around 70K seems to be the time these things all start to go (expecting the 10 year old exhaust to go soon) so choose carefully and either try to get one with lower miles or get one that has already had some of these things done.

If you're sure you will only keep it for a year the FN2 would be my choice but if you think it might be longer then maybe the FK2 or the FK8 would be a better bet.

Hope this helps.
Soichiro, scottyr and Wilmo like this.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page