Fn2 Type R - exhaust manifold change - advice and questions (TEGIWA parts) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th January 2019, 13:39 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 Civic FN2 Type R
Question Fn2 Type R - exhaust manifold change - advice and questions (TEGIWA parts)

Hello,

i am rather new here so if these questions were already answered i was unable to find them on the board (did a quite bit of searching and scavenging for info).

I am planing and hoping to change the CAI, intake manifold , exhaust manifold and exhaust system, at this point the car is completely stock.
Actually, here are the list parts i plan to change in 1st round of tune up.

TEGIWA EXHAUST MANIFOLD HEADER or MJC Automotive Honda Civic FN2 Race Header
SKUNK2 COLD AIR INTAKE

The exhaust system will remain OEM for now, as will the intake manifold. My main concern here is catalytic converter.

If I remove the OEM manifold and replace with one of these i am pretty much sure the catalytic converter is gone which in turn leads to failed eco testing and inability to renew licence plates (if i am using incorrect terms or unknown phrasing , forgive me, i am not from UK, located in Croatia).

If these parts are switched out i will have to do the remap of the original ECU.

So, the questions are:

Is there a replacement option for a catalytic converter? (i have found one on TEGIWA, not sure if that is the right thing -universal 400 cel CC)
If yes, what is the best possible position to place it at with OEM exhaust system and will it ensure the CO2 emissions low enough to pass the eco testing?

What impact does the converter have on the exhaust manifold bhp gain wise, pretty much sure it will reduce the possible gain but that is not really the issue here, just wondering by how much?

Thank you for your time and advice.
Cheers
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th January 2019, 18:54
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2
Yes, the Tegiwa 400CEL cat is what you need and it will ensure you pass your M.O.T (UK term for an annual check on a car's health!) I have one fitted to my car in the pipe where the exhaust runs underneath the driver's door. You could try a less restrictive cat like a 200CEL but they're more likely to fail emissions as far as I know.

As for placement, moving the cat further away from the engine makes it less restrictive. I wouldn't move it any further away as cats need heat to work efficiently.

Despite having a cat I saw 251.9BHP and 179.7lb ft on my car with cams, oil pump and various other bolt-on parts. The tuner said the cat had made very little difference in the end. If you put it nearer the engine it would be more restrictive.

Hope all that helps.

Vidimo se!
Thank You to TommyBoy from 2 Users:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th January 2019, 19:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Civic FN2 Type R
Did you do any extra work on CC itself?I see that the ends of the manifold have bolt areas but the CC doesn't have it, well at least its not shown on the Tegiwa item images.

Would you mind posting a photo of the part and the place where You installed it, would be a great help to me?

Thank you again.

Cheers
M

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 20th January 2019, 12:13
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2
When I bought my used exhaust the cat had been welded into a clamp on section which is interchangeable with a silencer. The photos show where it is on the car and what it looks like...it attaches with clamps. Another option is to get your exhaust cut and the cat welded in permanently. This is better as it took several attempts to seal the joins on mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0184_1547986223525.jpg (78.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0088_1547986257423.JPG (232.1 KB, 22 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 21st January 2019, 09:32
Supporter

Garage
Iíve the same plan On my typeR, but I want to weld my 200 cell cat at the beginning of the mid silencer , but I didnít do it at the moment
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 21st January 2019, 10:13
Supporter

Car: FN2
Garage
i have a TDI 3' with bolt in Cat and its inter changeable with a silencer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th May 2019, 12:08

I want some advice regarding welding in an Cat.
I have an 70mm Tegiwa Cat back exhaust.
Wanting to install Tegiwa Exhaust Manifold.
Do I weld the Cat Before the Mid Silencer or After?
Thanks

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Tags
catalytic converter , exhaust manifold , tegiwa , tegiwa manifold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page