3Likes
  • 1 Post By Alcides
  • 2 Post By OOCH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2019, 12:20 Thread Starter
SIMPLY MUGEN

Car: 2010 civic type r Mugen
Spark plugs .

Have the BIG service coming up this year and been told the by my local honda dealer that to do the plugs are a set price if 200 . It seems honda charge 122.00 for the 4 plugs and 80 labour to fit I guess . They say they use ngk laser iridium spark plugs . But these are listed on eBay from various sellers for anything from 35.to 50 . Are the eBay items likely to be copies ? Appreciate any advice as cox honda have them for 79.00 at the moment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2019, 13:44

Car: Civic 8 Type S 1.4 (FN4)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Ebay isn't the best source for such parts. Many have been known to be false.
But there are many reliable (physical and online) stores selling them for less than half the price you get at Honda. I'd go for one of these.

As for the total value they've quoted you at the dealership, it is standard practice. Utter nonsense considering it isn't that difficult job to do or that expensive parts to begin with.

If you want the peace of mind of having something like this done by a company that has been trained and will take responsibility for that operation, do pay them.
If the peace of mind you need comes from you're wallet, checkout the procedure online and you'll see you can save at least half the money doing it on your own.

This is the link to the procedure on the workshop manual for the coil removal on a 2010 FN2 (spark plugs will be accessible after that)
http://fn2workshop.co.uk/en/html/ESM...=#000?FN2,2010
kevven likes this.

Last edited by Alcides; 23rd January 2019 at 13:47.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 24th January 2019, 13:01

I got a set of these: LASER IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS HONDA K-SERIES F-SERIES IFR7G-11KS from Tegiwa for about 40 and fitted them myself. Had never done it before but there is a good video on youtube that shows you how to do it. I'm no mechanic by any means but it was quite straight forward and car has been running fine for last couple of thousand miles since doing it. Not sure if I've managed to embed the youtube video properly but its called "Servicing your own car (Honda Civic Type R FN2)" by FNLEW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-iiaDddTFA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Haltamer and hifive like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 11:08

Car: 2009 GT EX Auto
Agree with the above, and YES there are a lot of fake NGK's on ebay according to my mechanic.
I got a set of Denso iridium for about 35 delivered from Euro car parts, worth the extra fiver to know it was genuine product, mechanic said Denso was as good - he told me to get auto gearbox atf from Honda (the local dealer matched the online price for the ATF and coolant) but said the mahle air filter was fine for the low mileage i do (honda item is pricey).

I did get a basic honda dealer service at the time as i had recently bought the car ( they put in 5w 30? )and the same dealer supplied the bits the mechanic told me to get from them - he was just charging for doing the job and was happy for me to supply the parts.

worked out a lot cheaper for basic maintenance work on the big service!

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page