• 1 Post By TommyBoy
  • 1 Post By flashy
  • 1 Post By reganlives

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 24th January 2019, 20:51 Thread Starter
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
The age old tyre question

Been running the AD08rs for 18 months now and I guess I'll need some new fronts in the next few months. I'm thinking of changing to something different, they have excellent cornering grip but I'm finding the car tramlines quite a bit (combination of very firm sidewall and our crap roads). I guess I'm looking for an all rounder, I want something that will give good feedback, be planted, give good grip both wet and dry but not be wallowy or too soft. Had a look at the usual Eagle F1, Michelin PS etc but I've also looked at the Dunlop Maxx RT2, seems a good all rounder with the bonus of being quite light.
I'm also considering moving from 215/45 to 215/40.
Anyone have experience of AD08r and comparisons to other tyres?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 08:19
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
rt2's arent a bad choice. i like 'em on my fk2r.
went from 235/35/19 on csc6 tyres to 255/35 rt2's. rolls well over the road, grips well in wet and dry. last well too; csc6's lasted 6k with rotating. rt2's have done about 14k, 2 trackdays and still have 4mm left, i'd be buying 'em again for road. not that i find the rt2's mushy or lazy, csc6's felt a lot sharper and direct but also came with a more crashy nature over poor surfaces.

i've a ps4s itch i need to scratch so i'm hoping they'll cope better on track without overheating the outer edge. i'll be buying 2 in the next few months and decide off that what i want to complete the set. maybe another pair of ps4s for a matching set, or try the cup2's. current plan is to get back onto summer tyres, trackday the remaining 4mm rt2's and then change to ps4s.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 08:40 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

Sounds good. The cornering of the Ad08 is great, but straight lines and uneven roads make the front feel skittish. My car was aligned recently and I had new tie rod ends put on so I can't point the finger at that. Maybe I'm running them with too much psi? I put 30 to 32 in cold.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 09:01
Supporter

Car: PM FK2 type r
Garage
Keep an eye on the release of the new Goodyear range but they still haven't released any fixed dates or sizes i believe.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 13:19 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

Just checking tyre weights, the PS4 is over a kg lighter. With my Rotas I'd be looking at just over 17kg a corner.

Last edited by flashy; 25th January 2019 at 13:27.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 22:24
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2
Michelin PS4 have been great for me. 10,000 miles and four track days and I've only just rotated wheels with 4mm now left at rears. Excellent all-round tyre.
scottyr likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 14:18

Garage
To bump a previous thread...

Its time for new tyres on my fn2, I've just bought it and its running on budgets which are just rubbish and noisy.

Its a daily driver and I have a 4yr old son so they have to be comfy and quiet, but sticky to deal with a b-road blast.

I'm leaning towards Rainsport 3's, Dunlop Maxx RT2 or Hankook V12 Evo's, as I'd like to chuck a track day in the mix perhaps once a year.

Anyone have any thoughts?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 14:38 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

Eagle f1 asy 3, quiet but grippy
Farqui likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2019, 15:25
Supporter

Car: FN2
Garage
federal RSR's are pretty good,
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 23:19

Just had my pair of Rainsport 3s delivered today for the front. Having them fitted tomorrow. Have them on my other car and they're great.

Sent from my Letv X500 using Tapatalk
musegroove likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 23:38
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
My mate swears by rainsports too and will be my next choice once my AD08Rs die. Have a set of NS2R for summer / track.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 12:30

OOOh, Rainsports. I didn't get on with them at all. Felt like the tail was wagging the dog with those ones!

I'm currently on Pilot Sport 4's. Not amazing in icy conditions, but they clear water quite well. Brilliant in the summer/dry conditions. Very predictable, no tramlining or instability. Possibly a bit noisier than other tyres though, not sure why.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 13:08

Really? In what way did u feel they weren't right? Did you have them all round or just on the front?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 13:23

I had them all around, only because that's what the previous owner had fitted. They all had plenty of tread and were in good shape.

In warm, dry conditions, I had an odd thing where the rear felt really unstable. Even driving along a dual carriageway at 50mph felt bad, and changing lanes lead to an odd feeling of the rear chasing the car in a delayed fashion. Fast sweeping corners could be terrifying, and there were a couple of occasions where I was glad (and surprised) that I came out the other end facing in the right direction!

I spoke to my local Honda dealer about this, and they said that they'd swapped Rainsport 3's out of quite a few FN2's due to similar complaints.

Honestly, I wouldn't go anywhere near them if I were in the market for a change.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 20:05

Thanks for that mate. I'll keep a close eye on the handling but for now it was fine on the way home. Think the balancing is slightly off though so may have to get that done again when I get the Geo done as felt a tiny balancing wobble I thought. I wasn't keeping an eye on the guys when they fitted the tyres so don't know if the wheels are on opposite sides now. One on the other hand seemed like it had a tiny flat spot. Not had the car for long but new wheels are on my list.

On a side note I run the rainsports on a Lexus is200 with no issues.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 20:31
Sab

Car: 2010 Civic Si 1.8, Silver
Garage
Just switched my front tyres to Michelin CrossClimate Plus from Avon ZV7 tyres. I don't know if it it seriously means anything different, but rather than saying they are all-season tyres, they specifically say these are summer tyres with effectiveness in wintery conditions (in tests between winter tyres, they do seem to perform best in dry conditions).

These are CONSIDERABLY quieter than the Avons and it feels like my car is always glued to the ground now. I've never felt grip in this car so good before.

I live in London though so I kind of regret not getting Michelin PS4s instead; London roads are always salted and wet, and it's rarely cold (below 5C) or snowing in the area even in winter. Might as well use decent summer tyres all year round if you live here.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page