Type R advise - Civinfo
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 1st February 2019, 12:37 Thread Starter

Type R advise

advice*
Hi folks looking for a bit of civic insight. So I bought a civic 1.4 ivtec as my first own car less than 1 month back (went up from my ma's Jazz). It's great and all but not a type R. (I got 10 month insurance as I was certain I'm not keeping the car very long). Now I'm kind of wishing I got the Type R . I didn't do any insurance quotes on Type Rs since I figured it'd be 1K+ more than the 1.4 but it worked out 500+ which isn't "too" bad. The 1.8 was 300+.

As it stands, I don't want to get into modding and just want a fun car for my short trips (i know the MPG wont be pretty but oh well). Also not into going on track, so going out specifically for a 2010+ model for the LSD might be futile + added expense?

Thus looking at 2007-2009 cars, most are at 80-150K mileage, some boasting FSH. Roughly from 3000-4500. But I feel at unease buying a 10-12 year old performance car at such high mileages, if I go ahead and check things like clutch/gear syncs/roof rust and all the general caveats what can I do to ensure i'm getting a trouble free one?

I keep reading about very high oil consumption, is that all across the board from 2007-2011 or only the earlier ones?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2019, 15:45
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
Mileage wise the engines are solid as long as they’ve been serviced properly. Oil consumption is luck of the draw. My FN2 didn’t use any. Quite a lot of friends who had them had no issues either.

My advise would be to buy one from another member on this forum. You’ve got a good chance it has been well looked after.
Farqui and Bones126 like this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2019, 17:33
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Agree with Staffs.
Any car with 80k on the clock should be fine if you can prove correct service record and it looks as if it has been cared for, the checks you mention should weed out the crap.
If you are worried about age then revise your budget upwards about 1500 and get a younger one.
BTW mine doesn't use any oil but then it's only done 44k miles.
Bones126 likes this.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2019, 17:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansi View Post
Agree with Staffs.
Any car with 80k on the clock should be fine if you can prove correct service record and it looks as if it has been cared for, the checks you mention should weed out the crap.
If you are worried about age then revise your budget upwards about 1500 and get a younger one.
BTW mine doesn't use any oil but then it's only done 44k miles.
i see. In that case i'll play it safe and save a bit more for a 10-11 plate. Most of the 07-09 ones are quite high mileage.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 5th February 2019, 15:15
Supporter

Try and buy from the forum and that way you can look up the previous posts of the owner to get a good idea of what the car is really like. (But you probably knew that already )
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 5th February 2019, 18:00
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMacD View Post
Try and buy from the forum and that way you can look up the previous posts of the owner to get a good idea of what the car is really like. (But you probably knew that already )
Sounds like a hint to look at your post - selling a very nice, cared for example for a decent price.
BillyMacD likes this.
Thanks to Wilmo from:
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 6th February 2019, 17:22

My CTR uses abt a litre a month , 94k miles , I’m used to checking oil twice a week !!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 6th February 2019, 17:24

Btw ... the engine and running gear feel so tight !!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 6th February 2019, 21:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1leyland View Post
Btw ... the engine and running gear feel so tight !!
Is it the CW yougot?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 07:52
Supporter

Garage
If you're looking for one with an LSD, I believe they fitted them as Standard to all Champ White and then all other Type R's manufactured after April 2010. So be careful you don't get an earlier produced car on 2010 plates.
Engines a bullet proof realy,

I'd retract your modding statement though, I said exactly the same and now ................. Once you have a car with a little power compared to normal, you'll keep wanting more
Wilmo likes this.

Last edited by Bones126; 7th February 2019 at 07:56.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 08:27

Yes a ‘09 ...
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 12:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones126 View Post
If you're looking for one with an LSD, I believe they fitted them as Standard to all Champ White and then all other Type R's manufactured after April 2010. So be careful you don't get an earlier produced car on 2010 plates.
Engines a bullet proof realy,

I'd retract your modding statement though, I said exactly the same and now ................. Once you have a car with a little power compared to normal, you'll keep wanting more
hah cant speak for the future I suppose.

So champ white of 09+ (i've seen some 08 plates unless they're private?) will have the LSD and any manufacture Apr 2010 dates? I've come across a Milano one for approx 5K with 70k, 4 owners, and Sept 10 reg date (not sure what manufacture is as of yet). Looks good, going to see it soon. What you reckon?

Anything I should know about FN2s that might take me by surprise? Obviously other than MPG. The typical stuff like bumpy ride etc I'm used to with my 1.4 2011.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 13:21
Deluded FK2 Owner

Car: 2015 CTR, Milano Red
Garage
Like any performance car, the ride will be a lot stiffer and can be quite harsh on rubbish roads. It'll obviously feel faster than your 1.4, but you really gotta live in the higher rev-ranges to get the most out of the car, which is probably breaking the speed limit in most cases. There was a syncro/ gearbox issue with the earlier models, so if you do get something like a 57 plate, just make sure you have a good test drive through all the gears when up to temp, being sure there's no grinding/ crunching between shifts, remains smooth and not popping out of gear. Other than that, great cars. I've not owned one but have driven a few and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I hadn't of brought the FK2, a Mugen FN2 was my alternative.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 14:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

thanks. FN2 will be my first performance car. Thus far I've driven a citereon Xsara, honda jazz 1.4 83BHP and now a civic 2011 1.4 98BHP so the 200 odd will be quite a jump for me. I want the fn2 mainly for town driving that is a bit more fun to drive than a 1.4 ivtec. Obviously the mpg will take a hit but as you say its not likely I'll be hitting high revs much and being 2 years into my license dont want points. I mean otherwise its just a standard 2L to drive around? That might take me by surprise and leave me disappointed like with the 1.4 but i haven't actually driven one so lets see.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 14:27
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicbrahs View Post
(i've seen some 08 plates unless they're private?)
'Private' plates are not allowed to make a car 'look younger' than it actually is. So if the plate has a date indicator on it, that will most likely be the first reg, but the car itself might be younger if it's a private plate.
My wife's 1.4 Jazz is gutless when compared to the 180 odd BHP of my 1.5 turbo. It brings a smile to my face. But when I had a go in a 10G Type R with about 300 odd horses, now, that made be really grin.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 17:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

cool thanks. Don't think I want to get a CW anyway, the cleaning would make me nuts as does my 2011 Ti atm.

I'm trying to determine if this 2010 Type R is a post Apr 2010 manufacture. It has a reg date of Sept 10 (60 plate), is it very likely this is a post apr manufacture model? I have the V5 first page, is there any metric that can be used to determine that.

Thanks
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 18:07
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicbrahs View Post

I'm trying to determine if this 2010 Type R is a post Apr 2010 manufacture. It has a reg date of Sept 10 (60 plate), is it very likely this is a post apr manufacture model? I have the V5 first page, is there any metric that can be used to determine that.

Thanks
I would not get tied in knots about the LSD. Mine has one but still squirms off roundabouts.
A 60 plater is more than likely to have LSD - give your local Honda dealer a ring with reg number and see if they can confirm. They might be helpful if they think you are a prospective customer.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 19:25
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
I'd be more worried about petrol consumption than other costs if you're on a budget.

For me Type R insurance was 50 more per year than the 1.8 Type S (obviously it could be vastly different in your case). However, the high road tax that Labour once threatened (over 1K+ per annum) and the fuel consumption were the major reasons I bought the 1.8.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 09:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

the champ whites have the GT pack right? even though i cant see them advertised as GT on autotrader.

Were they only made in 08/09?
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 23:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Ok folks, tomorrow *maybe* a big day in my honda ownership

I'm going to test drive a Type R CW edition (first time driving a Type R, spare a prayer). It will leave a huge hole in my pocket but quite frankly dislike the other colours and I'm going up from a Civic Ti 2011 which looks exactly the same. It's at 8000 with the usually dealer benefits like warranties and what not. Was going to buy private but most private ones are 50+ miles which makes going to see one a bit of a gamble. Has 60kish on clock, 5+ owners (not sure whether to be alramed by this as of yet) and supposed stamped service history. I know the general inspection idea, but unsure about the engine (what noises to and not to expect from a Type R engine). What intrinsic details to make me turn away other than roof rust, boot leaks, squeaky clutch etc.

I wanted a double check more than anything, by going for a 2009 CW do I miss anything in terms of parts/QC vs 2010 or 2011 Type Rs?

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page