• 1 Post By musegroove
  • 1 Post By TommyBoy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 13:49 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2010/1 Milano FN2
Question Easily accessible cams

Hi guys,

I'm looking at having mine booked in for a balance shaft delete and figure I'll change the cams at the same time.

Problem I have, is information - the US forums are a minefield and our options seem limited off the shelf here. There seems to be a lot of negativity to the older Skunk2 cams, but I haven't seen anything really on the latter ones? Given they're about the same price now as FD2 cams (which at 620 seem too much now) I wonder if there are any other options people would seriously consider?

I see Piper do a set (showing my age) but again can't see anything from anyone that's used them, Kelfords get a good right up, but can't find any and DC DICs look great, but would have to come from the states vs the more expensive ones Tegiwa have. 4piston drop in cams also come recommended, but can't see them to buy here either.

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

The car is a daily and I will be going with an RBC / new TB at some point after this and then intend to leave it at that (and a roof repray).

Kind words always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 15:04
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2
Have you considered TDI North cams? Good gains for the money and proven reliability.
stimcity likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 16:38 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
Have you considered TDI North cams? Good gains for the money and proven reliability.
I had, but wanted something different, and ideally cheaper to cover off some other upgrades plus labour. For 80 more you could go Spoon and to be honest, right now I'd live with FD2 if they weren't so ridiculously expensive - hence considering the Skunks, but horror stories.
bonna likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 20:27 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I'd also consider going the other way, with the TDI's being a grand, brings in other options to go a stage further.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 20:39
Supporter

I'm not a cams expert by any means but with the knowledge I've got I'd recommend TDI or FD2. I went FD2 as I found some cheap ones on eBay. The TDI ones give better gains but - as you say - are expensive. As for Skunk2, I *heard* the newer ones are kinder to tensioners but haven't come across any and I was keen to stay OEM reliable. With the more exotic stuff from America you need to learn the techy stuff so you understand lift and duration etc and match the cam to your set-up so you get the result you want. I found it very complicated!
stimcity likes this.
Thanks to TommyBoy from:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 07:57
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
You do cams once (hopefully) so choose something decent, even if it's a few quid more.

Bad cams will not net you nearly as many gains as you hoped or worst case; destroy your engine / cost you more fixing problems like tensioners. Ignore US forums, most show peak numers which are mostly redundant, you want the full area under the curve... the cams may be peaky but naff below 6k rpm for example.

Skunk2 I'd just avoid personally even if they're kinder to tensioners, the centreline can be off too resulting in needing an adjustable cam gear... more expense. I've heard of way too many issues with skunk2 parts to risk them anywhere near my motor.

For me, either TDi North or Clockwise cams, popping Ian @ CW an email to outline your build and if he has cams to suit. If you're doing valve springs then Toda etc

DON'T quote me on it but TDi's MAY be supplied by piper cams, this was told to me by a good source but I never 100% confirmed. I did have the part number somewhere and will have a nosey.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 10:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by musegroove View Post
You do cams once (hopefully) so choose something decent, even if it's a few quid more.

Bad cams will not net you nearly as many gains as you hoped or worst case; destroy your engine / cost you more fixing problems like tensioners. Ignore US forums, most show peak numers which are mostly redundant, you want the full area under the curve... the cams may be peaky but naff below 6k rpm for example.

Skunk2 I'd just avoid personally even if they're kinder to tensioners, the centreline can be off too resulting in needing an adjustable cam gear... more expense. I've heard of way too many issues with skunk2 parts to risk them anywhere near my motor.

For me, either TDi North or Clockwise cams, popping Ian @ CW an email to outline your build and if he has cams to suit. If you're doing valve springs then Toda etc

DON'T quote me on it but TDi's MAY be supplied by piper cams, this was told to me by a good source but I never 100% confirmed. I did have the part number somewhere and will have a nosey.
Cheers @musegroove - I heard the same rumour and my responses from piper yesterday were (as they only list a stage 2 rally set):

"Thank you for your recent email. The FN2 cams are quite hot as standard so this is the only cam we offer as a upgrade over the standard camshaft. Many thanks"

Then I followed up to see if they themselves would use them on road and had: "No these are not comparable to a fast road camshaft they are more aggressive than that. Many thanks"

So it looks like FD2s at minimum at the moment - is Ian at Clockwise Motion? They've not got any cams listed on the site itself, although one of there sump baffles will be living with me soon.

I cheekily emailed Spoon EU to see if they'd match the JP cost too.

Thanks all,

Jamie.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 13:19

Ian's at clockwise yes. I'm sure his cams needed springs but may do a milder one? Worth an email at least.

Sounds like the piper ones need springs then tbh.
stimcity likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 19:22
Supporter

Quote:
Ian's at clockwise yes. I'm sure his cams needed springs but may do a milder one? Worth an email at least.

From what I've been told, Clockwise do the whole job (very well) on the top end - porting, cams, springs etc. and it's not cheap!
stimcity likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 19:33 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:

Emailed, haven't heard as yet.

Definitely.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 19:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Anyone ever compare Spoon to FD2s?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 22:39

Spoon were a minor upgrade in the FD2, Stage 1 so retained OEM springs too.
Thanks to musegroove from:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page