Headlight restoration advice. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 18:45 Thread Starter

Headlight restoration advice.

I've noticed the clearcoat on my headlights has started to peel and would like to restore them myself. Would wet sanding and a good buffer with some t cut be suffice? As the clearcoat might be a pain to remove would I need to dry sand at maybe a 500 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit wet sand? Also is it worth reapplying some uv protected clearcoat? I've watched loads of videos on how to do it but everyone has a different way so not sure how to go about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 18:53
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
I have done this now on a clio, c3 and a micra.
Best way I have found is to use a rotary polisher with cutting compound and a quick detailer to keep it lubricated. Then I
Continued with a polish compound repeated to the process till it was nice and clear... after that I used a wax sealant to protect the plastic lenses...lasted for well over a couple of years before it needed doing again (but not as clouded as it was originally)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 19:08
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Sorry its easy to explain, but go and watch some youtube tutorials on it.

I doubt there is anyone better to explain.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 13:00

Car: 2006 2.2 5door milano red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyInferno View Post
I've noticed the clearcoat on my headlights has started to peel and would like to restore them myself. Would wet sanding and a good buffer with some t cut be suffice? As the clearcoat might be a pain to remove would I need to dry sand at maybe a 500 grit and work my way up to 2000 grit wet sand? Also is it worth reapplying some uv protected clearcoat? I've watched loads of videos on how to do it but everyone has a different way so not sure how to go about this.

I did exactly what you explained and sanded gradually working to 3000 wet and dry then clear coated and a week later buffed with a good carnuba wax because mine were very dull and yellow. It turned out great and i now treat them the same as the body work and wax them when i wax the car still as good 18 months later. Now my daughters clio wasn’t so bad so i did the polish and buff but if yours is peeling I personally would recoat with clear laquer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page