Bought FN2 - Civinfo
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By civicbrahs
  • 2 Post By civicbrahs
  • 1 Post By civicbrahs
  • 1 Post By Class1leyland
  • 1 Post By Paulus_25
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st March 2019, 11:33 Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 29th December 2018
Posts: 105
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Bought FN2

so bought an CW, high miles at 91K 2 prev owners from an volvo dealership. It is in great cosmetic condition, engine looks spot on (has a ingem air intake, even though i dont mod cars) and drives great. Got it for near 6K which i think is a bargain. Not so much is the service manual which has recorded servicing till 50K and nothing 50k to 91. So I believe it has been self serviced by an enthusiast, esp by the condition.

That being said I'm not familiar with what an FN2 "should" sound like, drive like or whatever else. I've booked it into tgm sports to have an inspection and check for any problems. But after that I was considering to just drop it in for a full service (sparks, fluids, valves, filters, plugs and few other things iirc for ~£370?). From my discussion with the volvo garage they just did oil change and oil filter, nothing else prior to selling it to me.

What do you folks think, is it a worthwhile investment at this point or should I drive it for a bit. I still have 25ish days warranty on the car.
Farqui and Bones126 like this.
civicbrahs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st March 2019, 13:29
Supporter
 
Bones126's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25th October 2017
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 86
Thanked 96 Times in 96 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Sounds like a nice car and if it's been looked after well should serve you well.
I would personally drive it a couple of weeks before spending it to give it time to show any bugs if they do, hopefully not though!
Valve clearance should be done at 75K so if no record of it being done may be worth changing along with the PCV. If the il and filter has been changed, then unless you want Honda oil in there I'd leave that for a while too.
Bones126 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st March 2019, 15:11
Supporter
 
Wilmo's Avatar
 
Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Join Date: 16th May 2017
Location: East Sussex,UK ENGLAND
Posts: 603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 61 Times in 61 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicbrahs View Post
so bought an CW, high miles at 91K 2 prev owners from an volvo dealership. It is in great cosmetic condition, engine looks spot on (has a ingem air intake, even though i dont mod cars) and drives great. Got it for near 6K which i think is a bargain. Not so much is the service manual which has recorded servicing till 50K and nothing 50k to 91. So I believe it has been self serviced by an enthusiast, esp by the condition.

That being said I'm not familiar with what an FN2 "should" sound like, drive like or whatever else. I've booked it into tgm sports to have an inspection and check for any problems. But after that I was considering to just drop it in for a full service (sparks, fluids, valves, filters, plugs and few other things iirc for ~£370?). From my discussion with the volvo garage they just did oil change and oil filter, nothing else prior to selling it to me.

What do you folks think, is it a worthwhile investment at this point or should I drive it for a bit. I still have 25ish days warranty on the car.
At last you took the plunge!
If the condition is as you say then sounds like a good buy. Sensible to get someone "reputable" to check it over since a Volvo dealer is unlikely to know much about Hondas - if you can, get on the phone to the previous owner and ask what they did.
If they did a quick oil service then leave well alone or if something goes wrong the dealer can say you have played with it after you bought it - they still have 6 months liability to you under consumer protection regs.
You will have plenty of time to work out what "improvements" you might want to make - brakes, tyres, bling, LED lights etc etc etc and save up the war chest.
In normal low speed driving the fan will make more noise than the engine although you might get some intake noise from the ingen. Once you hit the vtec you will get that lovely banshee howl that makes us want to buy one.
Enjoy, as you know there is plenty of help available from the forum members if you get a problem.
Wilmo is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 21st March 2019, 17:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 29th December 2018
Posts: 105
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones126 View Post
Sounds like a nice car and if it's been looked after well should serve you well.
I would personally drive it a couple of weeks before spending it to give it time to show any bugs if they do, hopefully not though!
Valve clearance should be done at 75K so if no record of it being done may be worth changing along with the PCV. If the il and filter has been changed, then unless you want Honda oil in there I'd leave that for a while too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
At last you took the plunge!
If the condition is as you say then sounds like a good buy. Sensible to get someone "reputable" to check it over since a Volvo dealer is unlikely to know much about Hondas - if you can, get on the phone to the previous owner and ask what they did.
If they did a quick oil service then leave well alone or if something goes wrong the dealer can say you have played with it after you bought it - they still have 6 months liability to you under consumer protection regs.
You will have plenty of time to work out what "improvements" you might want to make - brakes, tyres, bling, LED lights etc etc etc and save up the war chest.
In normal low speed driving the fan will make more noise than the engine although you might get some intake noise from the ingen. Once you hit the vtec you will get that lovely banshee howl that makes us want to buy one.
Enjoy, as you know there is plenty of help available from the forum members if you get a problem.
yeah it was a stunning one to be fair, parking sensors and honda bluetooth calling thing fitted too (not that i'll ever use this!). The price was knocked down quite nicely since the electrics in the folding mirror weren't working (or are slow i think)!





(bay is stunningly clean, leads me to believe it has been serviced or looked after. No receipts after 50K which is a bit worrying, but receipts for fixes like the anti roll bar/shock replacements and there is prev owners details on there. Not sure if its right to msg him though?)

Obviously in relation to stuff like the aux belt, pcv valve and other components I cant figure if they are "running as they should" having not owned one or driven for that matter. Also i do get squeaks from the rear sometimes when creeping, though that could be boot components. Hence why i figure id take it down to TGM sports, think they said £65 for an hour of checking it (or quicker). Then if I get the OK that it is good, I'll put it in for the £370 full service for peace of mind for a bit. What do you folks reckon? Seems only right i give it a good recorded service due to the gap between 50K and 90K.

The main niggles are that i think the panel behind the door might be repainted or is fading, roof rust!!! and stone chips in the bonnet. Mostly things that don't bother me, but I'll try my hand with Honda in regards to roof rust.
Farqui and Bones126 like this.

Last edited by civicbrahs; 21st March 2019 at 18:16.
civicbrahs is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 10:32
Supporter
 
Wilmo's Avatar
 
Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Join Date: 16th May 2017
Location: East Sussex,UK ENGLAND
Posts: 603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 61 Times in 61 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Don't have an issue with calling previous owner, might be happy that someone has bought it who cares about it.
Will be valuable source of info on work done, niggles etc.

Roof rust is a pain and needs sorting, you might be very lucky and get Honda to do it under warranty.
Stone chipped bonnets are an occupational hazard of owning an FN2, just find a good paint shop and get it resprayed occasionally - that's where mine is this week.
The rear end squeak is probably the rear shocks, they all do it and there is a temporary fix. Read the buyers guide on here and it will tell you all about it - you might have to tell the Honda dealer about it since it is an old technical bulletin.
Could also be the rear brakes binding slightly if you are creeping along in traffic with a bit of pressure on brake pedal.
The pcv valve noise is obvious, again search the forum for info - a cheap DIY job if you feel like it or add it to TGM's service.

If TGM find any issues then first line of attack is the dealer for rectification before they do any service work on it.
If you want peace of mind then sensible to spend money on that service if it is okay.

Then get out and enjoy the f***ing thing!
Wilmo is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 11:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 29th December 2018
Posts: 105
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Don't have an issue with calling previous owner, might be happy that someone has bought it who cares about it.
Will be valuable source of info on work done, niggles etc.

Roof rust is a pain and needs sorting, you might be very lucky and get Honda to do it under warranty.
Stone chipped bonnets are an occupational hazard of owning an FN2, just find a good paint shop and get it resprayed occasionally - that's where mine is this week.
The rear end squeak is probably the rear shocks, they all do it and there is a temporary fix. Read the buyers guide on here and it will tell you all about it - you might have to tell the Honda dealer about it since it is an old technical bulletin.
Could also be the rear brakes binding slightly if you are creeping along in traffic with a bit of pressure on brake pedal.
The pcv valve noise is obvious, again search the forum for info - a cheap DIY job if you feel like it or add it to TGM's service.

If TGM find any issues then first line of attack is the dealer for rectification before they do any service work on it.
If you want peace of mind then sensible to spend money on that service if it is okay.

Then get out and enjoy the f***ing thing!
Yeah i put it in for a inspection and will put it in for the service if and only if they advise the car is spot on with no need for recourse with the dealer (not sure if it's in their interests to do that, but going by their rep).

Rear brakes did get an advisory on last MOT so imagine they could do with changing/disassembly.

The rust I will suppose sort out once i get a good service in, but in two minds about the service. It probably is a good idea but I'm drooling over a rear GP splitter . (not a fan of the front, does stock front and rear GP look weird?).

But yes mate I reckon a well deserved FN2 hunt has come to an end, and it my preferred colour as you know!
Wilmo likes this.
civicbrahs is offline  
Thanks to civicbrahs from:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 16:35
 
Chrisdubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20th January 2019
Location: Northumberland ENGLAND
Posts: 74
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Then get out and enjoy the f***ing thing!
Exactly this. Make sure its safe & sound. Decent tyres & brakes. Keep it topped up with oil. And then just drive & enjoy! These are getting on a bit now so expect little bits to go wrong, but just enjoy it mate
Chrisdubya is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 20:37
Enjoying life
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Join Date: 30th June 2015
Location: Swindon ENGLAND
Posts: 8,420
Thanks: 378
Thanked 659 Times in 622 Posts
iTrader: (13)
**** me!

Pcv valve check is easy. With the car running pinch the pipe on the manifold that runs from centre to left. If there is a crackling type of sound that stops when you pinch the pipe then the pcv valve is knackered. £40 for the kit and change it yourself.
flashy is offline  
Thanks to flashy from:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2019, 12:20
Supporter
 
Paulus_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20th March 2013
Location: Essex, uk ENGLAND
Posts: 303
Thanks: 17
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Garage
Nice looking car, welcome to the CW club
Paulus_25 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2019, 15:41
 
Class1leyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18th October 2017
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Welcome to the always needs washing cw club.... get those alloys cleaned ��!! Lol
Wilmo likes this.
Class1leyland is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2019, 20:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 29th December 2018
Posts: 105
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1leyland View Post
Welcome to the always needs washing cw club.... get those alloys cleaned ��!! Lol
yep they got cleaned looked nice. But Im looking to get black alloys as cheaply as poss atm lol
civicbrahs is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2019, 21:04
Supporter
 
Paulus_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20th March 2013
Location: Essex, uk ENGLAND
Posts: 303
Thanks: 17
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Garage
IMO keep the white, itís part of a CW unique look
Wilmo likes this.
Paulus_25 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 13:55
 
Join Date: 23rd June 2012
Location: Cheshire, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 123
Thanks: 14
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
The slow/non folding mirrors are due to a resistor that fails in the mirror shut off device (SOD). There is a big thread on it. A guy used to do a fix for £6 per SOD on here but now somebody on Ebay has taken over.
OOCH is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Bought Faulty Civic - What is likely outcome? Have Blue Engines and Transmission (8G) 37 28th March 2013 11:50
I Have Been And Bought A New Car RickHondaR Any non Civic chat here please! 24 7th March 2013 22:19
Bought a Honda Accord 1.8 Vtec 2002- Service Info- scotscivicman Honda Accord 1 15th September 2011 18:59
Brother just bought Civiv - 3 questions stoofa General Discussion (8G) 12 29th March 2011 19:20
Just bought a civic...probs already?! marx175 General Discussion (8G) 14 25th March 2011 09:11

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome