Steering wheel not straight when driving - Looking to buy, Help! - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamex2.2
  • 1 Post By Haltamer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st April 2019, 19:13 Thread Starter

Steering wheel not straight when driving - Looking to buy, Help!

Hi all! I've browsed this forum for ages & have learnt a ton from everyone here but now I need help about a car I test drove (2008 type R) earlier today.

When stationary with the steering wheel straight the tires are straight as you would normally expect, however, when driving in a straight line the steering wheel is slightly offset to the right. My hands should be at 10 to 2 but they are at 11 to 3, which makes for very awkward driving experience . I was wondering if anyone knew what this is and if it's a big red flag before purchasing the car? The dealer said it was wheel alignment and they are sending it of to get fixed but I worry it's a sign of something deeper. The car has a great MOT history and low mileage but any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st April 2019, 19:40
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
the civics do tend to be a bit awkward to get tracked up right
sometimes the make of tyre can affect them
there are loads that complain about the same issue from there civic
but you don't have to hold your hands at 11 to 3 you could reposition as your driving
not that often I tend to grip tight with both hands anyway
maybe im too use to driving a forklift so tend to only use 1 hand most the time
not like old days with heavy steering due to no power steering
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st April 2019, 19:59

Car: 2008 2.2 ictdi EX Nighthawk
Are you sure this was not simply the affect of road camber making the car want to turn gently left? I would take another test drive and find a flat road/motorway to be sure....
Wilmo likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 16:48

Garage
Could be road camber but these cars are very sensitive to tracking/alignment. Get them to set it up and then have an other test drive, but over various roads
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 16:52
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Get them to sort the alignment to your satisfaction before purchase? If they sort it for a 60 alignment, job jobbed - If not, it could well be something more concerning.
Wilmo likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 18:07
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad1r View Post
When stationary with the steering wheel straight the tires are straight as you would normally expect, however, when driving in a straight line the steering wheel is slightly offset to the right. My hands should be at 10 to 2 but they are at 11 to 3, which makes for very awkward driving experience
When you say offset to the right do you mean you have to keep pulling it to the left to go in a straight line?
Or when you are going straight and level the wheel is pointing over to the right?

First one could just be road camber and tyre combination so find a flat road as advised.
Second one could be tracking in which case get them to sort it and have another test drive. I seem to remember that my 1.8 Si was a bit like this when I first got it and tracking sorted it out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 18:52
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Probably because the tracking was last done by only making the adjustment to one side. Not a problem (that's how I always used to do it) but the steering wheel then ends up off-centre... can usually be put right by refitting the steering wheel, but I don't know how complex this is with the Civic clock spring assembly.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page