Paints4u - Milano Red Test Results. - Civinfo
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Private Custard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 20th April 2019, 20:18 Thread Starter

Paints4u - Milano Red Test Results.

Over the past year, my O/S mirror cover has developed a bad case of pimples. After ten years in a bodyshop, my guess is that somebody has been there before, and it hadn't been prepped properly, possibly still wet.

Anyway, it got to a point where it annoyed me way too much, so I used the opportunity to test out the Paints4u milano red kit (primer, paint, clear). Thought others might like to use this to help decide if it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I no longer have access to a bodyshop, this was carried out with basic Amazon purchases.....even slow degreaser.

Prep

Wet flatted the entire mirror cover upper with 240......in the kitchen sink, don't know how I got away with that! Grey scotchbrite and washing up liquid was used to clean and scuff the remainder. The inside of the cover was also cleaned to lower the risk of contamination.

Drying was carried out with a microfibre cloth and a hairdryer set to 'mouth of hell' mode!

Primer

As aerosol primers go, it's not bad. Good spread on the nozzle, decent coverage from two coats, and I was flatting it back within the hour.

Paint

Again, a pretty decent nozzle, making the process simple enough. The paint itself is fairly thick, so you can lay it on with confidence after the first light tack-coat. The last pro-grade paint I used in the bodyshop was DuPont Cromax (water based), and I know that the colour chips sent from them contain 10 (probably more now) variants of milano red, so I knew colour matching a specific car would be tricky, which is why I chose to test it on the mirror. The match is pretty good on mine. In the shade it's lovely. Reds vary in numerous directions, but the main ones are orange (bright), brown (dirty, older reds), magenta (darker, more cherry reds). This paint errs on the orange end of the scale when in full sunlight, so I'd probably not use it for an obvious panel to panel job.

Clear

Here is the biggest downside of aerosol paintjobs! Again, the nozzle is decent, but for the love of god, keep the can upright and move the target item, or it will spit. It's a very thick clearcoat, but as always, it flashes off so fast that it doesn't have a chance to really flow itself to a smooth finish, so some orange peel will occur. I actually cured it overnight, flatted it back with 1200 this morning, and went for a more confident coat, but the results were the same. Maybe flatting with 3000 and then machine polishing would work, but it would take a brave person to try polishing aerosol clear on a plastic panel, expecting it not to tear off!

Opinion

Worth it for a small job that isn't a panel to panel? Yes, might as well if you're bored and have some free time. Worth it for a larger more obvious panel? Hell no!

Thanks to Private Custard from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2019, 22:46

Car: 2010 CTR-22758 GT, Red
Looks fair on the mirror - and like you said, in the right places it can look pretty good. Nice job.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2019, 23:15
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
funnily enough ive had a kit from them for months for my old black 2.2
finally used it today and yesterday
ive gotta say the colour match is good and easy to use
I was touching up a section of the rear door
its blended in well but id say the can does not go as far as other paints in similar cans do could have done with another can of base coat as it dosnt go on very thick at all

I was thinking of buying kit to colour code the mud flap thingys on my 9g white orchid but think ill take them off and take them to mates body shop

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page