Trying to pick an FN2. need some advice. - Civinfo
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By mu02gen
  • 3 Post By feefee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th April 2019, 18:39 Thread Starter

Trying to pick an FN2. need some advice.

I'm in the market for a type R (I drive the regular 1.8 ex) and have been looking at stuff on AutoTrader.

The 2010/2011 cars are around 1-2k more expensive but I really wanted the LSD. I was going to nab a 2009 FN2 and get it installed but I don't really know how much that costs. I also wanted the FRSU and Eibach springs.

How much stiffer is the suspension on the FN2 compared to the 1.8? I have moments in my B road bash where the car bounces and I lose most of the steering until it settles back down again. This is what I want to avoid the most, and I hope the Eibach and FRSU eliminate this.

Also I noticed the 2009 models have an extra button near the VSA that look like fog lights. Were the 2009 versions updated as well, or did they just move some buttons around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th April 2019, 18:41
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
The extra button you are seeing on the dash is the headlight washer button. After 2009 they were no longer "automatic", and you pushed a button when needed. Saves hugely on screen wash.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th April 2019, 20:49
SIMPLY MUGEN

Car: 2010 civic type r Mugen
Go for a low mileage championship white model with LSD . There are a few to choose from on eBay and pistonheads. With 600 made they hold their price and have normally been cared for .
iMZee likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 18:04
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefee View Post
How much stiffer is the suspension on the FN2 compared to the 1.8? I have moments in my B road bash where the car bounces and I lose most of the steering until it settles back down again. This is what I want to avoid the most, and I hope the Eibach and FRSU eliminate this.
I have both FN2 and a 1.8 Si. The FN2 is quite a bit stiffer but that is the price you pay for the handling. The Si handles well too but I have Bridgestone Driveguard run flat tyres on it so it is harder than the standard.
The FN will get better at speed over the bumps, at low speed it tends to follow the undulations in the road so can feel like a pogo stick.
Those with the Eibach springs do report a better, more comfortable ride due to the progressive springs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 19:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I didn't think Civics had headlight washers! (Not that I'd ever use them)

I've been looking to get one from a dealer with warranty or a trusty owner from here, but I'll give PistonHeads a go, thanks. It's just a matter of not having to travel all the way up the country to find a decent one.

Okay, that's good to hear. I just hate how bouncy the current car is on bumpy roads.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 19:26
SIMPLY MUGEN

Car: 2010 civic type r Mugen
Revitupuk on eBay have a nice low miles championship white car with some nice mods ie remap exhaust and airbox
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 20:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Since I only have been driving for a year, I don't think I'd get very good insurance prices for modified cars!

Is there a difference between the 2010+ models and the champ white other than the wonderful paint?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 21:09
Supporter

There's one for sale in the for sale section of the forum

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 15:03
K20 addict

Car: 2010 Fn2 & 2003 Ep3
Quote:
I didn't think Civics had headlight washers! (Not that I'd ever use them)

I've been looking to get one from a dealer with warranty or a trusty owner from here, but I'll give PistonHeads a go, thanks. It's just a matter of not having to travel all the way up the country to find a decent one.

Okay, that's good to hear. I just hate how bouncy the current car is on bumpy roads.

facelift cars have the headlamp washers, 2009 on I think.

LSD on all CW, Sapphire blue and models BUILT (not just registered) after mid April 2010.

Eibachs did improve the ride a touch, but it's down to the stiff shocks I believe.

To get an LSD fitted new, you're now looking at around 1200-1500 fully fitted. Mines got an OEM LSD and I wasn't going to buy an FN2 without one.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 15:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danith View Post
facelift cars have the headlamp washers, 2009 on I think.

LSD on all CW, Sapphire blue and models BUILT (not just registered) after mid April 2010.

Eibachs did improve the ride a touch, but it's down to the stiff shocks I believe.

To get an LSD fitted new, you're now looking at around 1200-1500 fully fitted. Mines got an OEM LSD and I wasn't going to buy an FN2 without one.

Got it. Is there a way to tell if the 2010 registered model has an LSD via photos? I can't trust descriptions as I've seen all kinds of crazy claims. If not, I'm definitely going for a 2011 model.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 15:58
K20 addict

Car: 2010 Fn2 & 2003 Ep3
Quote:
Got it. Is there a way to tell if the 2010 registered model has an LSD via photos? I can't trust descriptions as I've seen all kinds of crazy claims. If not, I'm definitely going for a 2011 model.
No not at all. You'll either need to pop a shaft out and have a look or ring Honda with the vin number.
Or just rag it around a roundabout on a test drive lolz. Mines a 60, so registered Nov 2010 but actually only built 25/04/2010 So one of the first standard fn2 with it from factory.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 6th May 2019, 19:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up picking up a 2011 model in Milano Red! I drove more than I've even driven but I am glad I bothered to drive the extra miles to pick up this example.

I figured I'd leave the front splitter on till I get sick of it and it can be easily removed. There is a Tegiwa sticker on the back but I can't find any other mods, just the sticker and front splitter. Exactly like my old car, just on steroids!

(Seems like I can't link images, so imagine one with a front splitter)
iMZee, Wilmo and Danith like this.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page