Painting rocker cover - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Private Custard
  • 1 Post By Maurice63

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 17:52 Thread Starter

Painting rocker cover

So I was doing a brake/clutch change and even with some rags under my poor manual dexterity resulted in fluid spillage. Today a tiny bit has peeled off and I want to put it back to normal. As far as painting it, is it as simple as stripping paint off, then doing 2-3 coats of wrinkle paint? Or am I missing something. Or should I not bother

Mind it is not bad at all, its like 90% perfect but the specs of brake fluid damage are annoying to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 20:28

My advice, get hold of a new gasket and four spark plug seals. May as well change them when it's apart.

Also, you should probably strip everything off, get it scuffed to about 180 grit for decent adhesion, and then get the entire rocker cover into some hot water with a load of washing up liquid, and scrub it inside and out with a stiff brush. Oil from inside will not only stop you from getting masking tape to stick around the various areas you should be sealing off, it may also contaminate your spray area. Re-wash until you are confident that oil isn't an issue.

Make sure you dry it thoroughly, all nooks and crannies, use a heat gun to make sure.

Then mask a skirt around the bottom, mask off the areas that need to remain metal, and block all holes through to the inside. Overspray to the inside might not do your oil any good when the paint breaks down and gets into the system.

a stack of 2p's is handy to sit on various areas and block them off.

High heat etch primer is a good idea, as it is an amazing metal protector and adhesion promoter.

Apply the wrinkle paint lightly at first to create a tack-coat that your more confident coats will go over easily afterwards. Use the heat gun on its low setting from about a foot back to evenly warm over the painted cover. The wrinkle will appear not long after. Keep applying coats until happy, and keep it warm,

If you can keep your car in a garage overnight, you don't need to worry about getting the rocker cover back on same day. Worryingly, if you look at the windscreen angle, any rain that may occur, will run straight down in the direction of your naked cams, and your plastics and ally shield will probably be missing, having removed them to get the rocker cover off.

The longer you give it to cure the better.

Best of luck.

iMZee likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th April 2019, 08:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the write up. That seems quite complex and considering i dont have a garage probably not safe to open the cover, not that I have before anyway.

This is how it is:

Not a lot of damage, considering 90k on the clock but still annoying to look at. Is it probably better I touch it up or will that make it look worse.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th April 2019, 10:10
Supporter

Car: 8G TypeR
Touch it up ' close the bonnet ' and drive the car ' it ain't that bad
M8TJT likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th April 2019, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicbrahs View Post
Thanks for the write up. That seems quite complex and considering i dont have a garage probably not safe to open the cover, not that I have before anyway.
Not complex, just thorough with each stage. A decade of bodyshop work made me appreciate how one bit of laziness can have a knock-on effect down the chain. If you prep right and keep things clean, it'll be OK. I don't have a useable garage either, that's filled with my other investment ('91 GSX-R1100) and related junk! Which is why I used the heat gun for a quick-cure one day job. I'd have been murdered if I'd put the freshly painted cover in the kitchen oven!

I'd never taken the rocker cover off until I painted mine. It's not in any way a mechanically complex job.

If you want a quick job, a new rocker cover is 246.99. You could ebay yours off afterwards.

https://h-tune.co.uk/genuine-honda-r...iABEgJiH_D_BwE

Or you may be able to find somebody who will, for a price, take your old one off your hands and replace it with a freshly refurbed one. Yours will then be refurbed and go out to the next customer. I've seen this done with loads of problematic car bits over the years (early 00's focus radios for one!)

This sort of service may be of interest. I've never used them though, so it's not a personal recommendation.

Spooner Restorations - Price List - Rocker Cover, Alloy Wheels, Calipers, Inlet Manifold

Last edited by Private Custard; 27th April 2019 at 11:00.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th April 2019, 11:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

yeah i saw the service, it was around 101.50 IIRC for it to be repainted.

It just little specks so I'm thinking to stop being bothered by it and not having to strip off otherwise perfectly good paint, would a touch up look weird?

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page