Brought a 59 plate type r 70k miles. Any advice..... - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kickassaz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 20:35 Thread Starter

Brought a 59 plate type r 70k miles. Any advice.....

Hello guys.

Brought a ctr, 70k miles 59 plate 1 previous owner from new. Clean for age inside and out. Has full honda service history and mots done there too. Will come with 12 months mot too.

Called honda and history seems genuine with normal items being replaced apart from a key, and rear shocks in 2016. No outstanding recalls.

Drove fine, clutch was light. No knocks, started OK too after I gave it a drive. Battery was flat on arrival as seller says it was open for the day previously. But once it had charge started on the button.

Any personal experience with these to look for. Flat battery to be worried about?

I'm guessing mot will pick anything up and previous owner like all ctr took pride in it to stay serviced within honds network.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

The smile on my face driving that machine was a picture apparently.

Thank you.
Farqui likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th August 2019, 11:19

Car: 2010 CTR-22758 GT, Red
Sounds like a good history and a looked after car. Given that it has Honda history, I'd just drive it and enjoy it.

Keep a close eye on oil as they like a sip or two of oil, expect a few rattles from the scuttle panel plastics on the windscreen (check the wiki on here for very easy DIY fixes), try not to rip your hair out when the seat doesn't return to its previous position after being tilted forwards to allow people in and out the back (as they never did return to previous), expect the aircon to need a top up if nothing in history (if its not ice cold), check that the last service included the valve clearances being adjusted (its a 70k mile service item IIRC). Rattles underneath are likely heat shields, especially the one over the exhaust back box which itself may have corroded mounts - I had to have one welded back onto the pipe when it snapped off.

Can't think of much else. I bought mine on 82k in Jan '19 to use as a "station car" and found myself using it in preference to the 2017 S3 that we have, so have now covered 11k since then in it!!! I had to replace the OEM HID bulbs as they were flickering over rough ground (35 each), its now getting due a service, clutch is feeling well past its best and I am renewing the front struts this weekend (retaining OEM spec) as one is leaking and knocking.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 31st August 2019, 20:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Tha

Thank you for your reply. Reliable engines then? Yes I have noticed my oil is half way down the dip stick, which oil do we use for type Rs? Seen alot of different recommended grades. It's booked in to have its clearance done in two weeks time at Honda, fluids changed as majority are now due. Service will be November which I may or may not use honda but a family garage.....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st September 2019, 00:18

I think the oil is 5w30 but its listed in the manual that comes with the car so check there to be 100%. Pretty sure it doesn't have to be a "Honda" spec oil as such like a VW/Audi is with some specific coding BS applied.

Seems a shame to break the Honda history - does it save you that much if they are doing the fluids and valve clearances already ? Its rare to see one with Honda history and its a great selling point later on. My 53 plate Mini (I was owner #2 and had it for 8.5 years) was sold with full Mini history and it got me a strong price to swap to the CTR. I know they made their money on the CTR price, as the Mini was advertised for 250 more than it owed me against the ticket price on the CTR - and they only had it for about 8-10 days before it was gone.

It will be a very rare attribute to keep full Honda history....... at a price, yes, but potentially worth it in my view.

Last edited by s3 akr; 1st September 2019 at 00:26.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st September 2019, 10:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank you for your help. You have a good point there and have convinced me that services at Honda will be the best option.

You got any issues with your type r? Or anything else that is worth taking into account?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2019, 00:27

Nothing other than the general wear and tear - just refreshed the front struts this weekend. Other than that its fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th September 2019, 20:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

That's good to know thank you. The gearbox issues were sorted well before this year came out didn't they?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th September 2019, 10:41
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Should be okay with a 59 plate.
Check if the gearbox oil has been changed recently, should be done at 75k or 8 years.
If it hasn't or you have no proof, get it done.

Third gear might still be a little notchy occasionally but it depends how smooth a gear changer you are.
A short shift kit might make that more difficult I'm told.

The battery could be okay but if it gets sluggish on the start especially as nights close in then it could be on the way out.
Honda charge 119 to replace, Halfords 115.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th September 2019, 16:28
Supporter

Mine was 59 plate and I had the gearbox oil changed at 65k miles, made a real difference and I had the short shift kit fitted too.
As said before, there was still a slight issue with 3-4 gear change.
Nothing drastic though
Thanks to Fergiem123 from:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page