Changing from a Clio 182 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 22:32 Thread Starter

Changing from a Clio 182

Hi all new to the forum so sorry if anything is in the wrong place

I'm looking to change from my Clio 182 to a Type R,

Originally I wanted a smaller turbo'd engine but having test driven the Mini Cooper s and Vauxhall VXR, the 1.6 turbo really isn't a decent replacement for a 2L bar the better mpg and tax

The Cooper S and Vauxhalls turbos are great to accelerate in any gear but no matter how many revs you give them there's never a real kick in power so it's not really an attached drive where you have to keep on top of the car to bring out its best

Tested the Fiesta ST mountune 185 and it was a very boring drive, same with the Clio 200, the added weight really dulled the fun and it didn't feel like it wanted to be worked

Then I drove an FN2, wow, the first car that felt like a quality piece of kit and I actually felt attached to the car, loved the interior and the seating position (I'm 6'2" so It's the first car I actually fitted in lol) also the first time I'd experienced the VTEC kick so that pretty much made all of the other test drives irrelevant, but now I'm thinking about the ep3 as well.

There's the massive life story lol but Basically I'm just looking for some opinions, I'm going to book a test drive of an ep3 before I make any final decisions, but would you take the luxury of the FN2 GT or the faster ep3, obviously the FN2 didnt feel as fun or chuckable as my car but surely both are at least a little quicker than the 182? Hard to tell when the was 3 blokes in for the test drive.

I've got 8k max but would rather stick to 7k so I'd be looking at a 50k miles FN2GT, or about 70k miles on an EP3 for 4.5k

I'm only 19 so both the type r's I'm looking are going to be an insurance increase but don't want to go any faster than a type r and end up killing myself so no Megane r26 just yet

Thanks and I need to make a decision before I test a Golf GTi mkV and I'm back to square 1 lol

Last edited by DUBS73P; 7th January 2013 at 22:35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 22:52

Hello, If raw fun is you thing then go with the EP3, if fun and a car you can live with then go FN2.

No doubt that a few years back that would read go Integra DC2 for fun or EP3 to live with.. its just how things have moved on
Thanks to fordy from:
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 22:56
Banned

Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,315 Posts
Hi and welcome

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:01

Car: 2007 Type R GT,silver
The fn2 is just a bit more planted on the road that's all...it's better in the wet as well due to the vsa...which you can turn off in the dry if you want.

Either are good cars tbh.....best to test drive several cars of each variety.

Good luck...
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:02
Supporter

Car: FN2
Garage
Lol has to be a troll!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_bhp View Post
Lol has to be a troll!
Quite a long detailed post, plus an edit!, benefit of the doubt and being constructive FTW
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:07

Car: 2007 Type R GT,silver
Renault Clio 182 vs Honda Civic Type-R - FastestLaps.com

The fn2 is a little bit faster.

Not sure why they say the 182 is faster as all the times show the fn2 is quicker...the Bedford lap times seem out to me..
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_bhp View Post
Lol has to be a troll!
How am I trolling? Genuine question of opinions that's all mate

The FN2 did feel like a great daily, do drive 35 miles of B roads a day so should be a blast either way

My only concern with the ep3 is that it's just as old looking inside and out as the 182, whereas a 2007 fn2 still looks more modern than most cars being sold now

Last edited by DUBS73P; 7th January 2013 at 23:30.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:28
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
Lots of trolling happening today dont take it personally buddy!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:37
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR GT, Milano Red
I had a 182 and got the FN2, recommend it to anyone, seriously
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:42
Banned

Welcome mate - you won't regret it
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:46

Car: 2009 CTR GT, Albaster Silver
Eco display
Fn2 is much better car, better handling, nicer gear change have more torque low which helpful. Interior exterior and more toys, also this forum one of the best on the net, better than Ctro lots of sound people
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 7th January 2013, 23:56
Tarmacadam Terror

Car: 2010 Alabaster Silver CTR GT
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,587 Posts
Welcome, I set out to buy a golf gti or a focus ST. Drove everything else and fell for the Fn2, you'll know the car for you when you drive it. There's not much in it between the EP3 and FN2 in performance terms no matter what they all say.

If it was me with your budget I'd buy a DC5 Integra and have the best modern R since the EK9

Sent via NecronomiPhon
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 00:13

Eco display
Dc5 is more insurance, around 300 on average in some cases and for the price of a 10 year old car you could get an fn2 half it's age for the same money
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 08:49
Tarmacadam Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
Dc5 is more insurance, around 300 on average in some cases and for the price of a 10 year old car you could get an fn2 half it's age for the same money
True on all counts but its a better car in performance terms. Driven a dc5 and own a 2010 fn2. The stock dc5 runs rings round my fn2 and without spending thousands no way to redress that gap. You've actually quoted the reason I didn't buy one myself, but as then op is considering ep3s as well I thought it was worth throwing the mighty dc5 into the mix as it is the superior car and they can be had for around the same money as the fn2.

Being an old codger the insurance hadn't actually crossed my mind though as its not something I worry about. I could seen it being very expensive no matter which car the OP chooses, but 300 more than an ep/fn would put me off at the OP's age that's for sure.

Whatever flavour of R he gets I'm sure he'll love it as Much as we love ours

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 10:24
Jin
Yorkshire Jedi

Car: 2008 CTR, NHB
For me I knew I wanted a type R over any other brand.

As I knew it was going to be my daily drive the practicality of the FN2 made the descision for me.

In my opionion the FN2 is a great 'all rounder'
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMonkey View Post
True on all counts but its a better car in performance terms. Driven a dc5 and own a 2010 fn2. The stock dc5 runs rings round my fn2 and without spending thousands no way to redress that gap. You've actually quoted the reason I didn't buy one myself, but as then op is considering ep3s as well I thought it was worth throwing the mighty dc5 into the mix as it is the superior car and they can be had for around the same money as the fn2.

Being an old codger the insurance hadn't actually crossed my mind though as its not something I worry about. I could seen it being very expensive no matter which car the OP chooses, but 300 more than an ep/fn would put me off at the OP's age that's for sure.

DC5 is worth the test drive! Even if you can't insured, saying that.

At 19 and insured on a 182 is good, shouldn't be much increase on a DC5, ep3 or fn2.

Admittedly the DC5 is an import, but i would highly recommend test driving one.

Sent from my 4.2.1 Jellybean Galaxy Nexus
Thanks to dannyd2134 from:
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 10:46

Eco display
Quote:

I dont think it would run rings around an FN2 which as diff in for sure. There is only 20bhp difference, only rolling road the FN2 makes a lot more power than stated. If your looking at lap times there for the championship white vs DC2 there wont be much it it all, "not run rings around it"
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 12:22
Tarmacadam Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
I dont think it would run rings around an FN2 which as diff in for sure. There is only 20bhp difference, only rolling road the FN2 makes a lot more power than stated. If your looking at lap times there for the championship white vs DC2 there wont be much it it all, "not run rings around it"
Absolutely an LSD model fn2 would give a dc5 a harder time than mine but I don't think the OP could get one in budget at the moment.

The power thing , It entirely depends on the rolling road as they are all subjective, my Fn2 made 196bhp @ hypertech, its going on another RR on a different dyno at the end of march. if you like I'll scan the printout I've got when I get home . Very curious to see if it makes more or less power at next RR day as I was really disappointed with that figure having been told it should make round about 212ish bhp

The dc5 for me is the best type R they ever made, pretty enough to snap knicker elastic at 20 paces, it's sublime to drive (mostly down to awesome suspension and proper hydraulic power steering) and makes the ep3 and Fn2 seem ordinary when driven back to back. Tuned they are a proper track weapon.

You seem to be taking this as an attack on Fn2's, which couldny be further from the truth. I love mine , adore the way it drives , stunning looks, very practical and modern, if I had an LSD I'd no doubt love it even more.

I'm just suggesting that the DC5 is a great car and worth looking at as its within the OP's budget. If you've ever tried to play with a Dc5 in your Fn2 you'll know what I mean. They Can go harder into the corners and exit faster. To get my fn to go, corner and stop like a Dc5 I'd have to spend several thousand pounds on Brembos, an LSD , suspension and performance upgrades.

I'm not saying the fn and ep are rubbish, both great cars with pros and cons, dc5 also has pros and cons but is more modern and has better kit than the ep3 and performs better than the Fn2 out the box plus is much rarer and has JDM points if you like that kinda thing.

Sent via NecronomiPhon
Thank You to RevMonkey from 2 Users:
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 8th January 2013, 12:38
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
Quote:
Absolutely an LSD model fn2 would give a dc5 a harder time than mine but I don't think the OP could get one in budget at the moment.

The power thing , It entirely depends on the rolling road as they are all subjective, my Fn2 made 196bhp @ hypertech, its going on another RR on a different dyno at the end of march. if you like I'll scan the printout I've got when I get home . Very curious to see if it makes more or less power at next RR day as I was really disappointed with that figure having been told it should make round about 212ish bhp

The dc5 for me is the best type R they ever made, pretty enough to snap knicker elastic at 20 paces, it's sublime to drive (mostly down to awesome suspension and proper hydraulic power steering) and makes the ep3 and Fn2 seem ordinary when driven back to back. Tuned they are a proper track weapon.

You seem to be taking this as an attack on Fn2's, which couldny be further from the truth. I love mine , adore the way it drives , stunning looks, very practical and modern, if I had an LSD I'd no doubt love it even more.

I'm just suggesting that the DC5 is a great car and worth looking at as its within the OP's budget. If you've ever tried to play with a Dc5 in your Fn2 you'll know what I mean. They Can go harder into the corners and exit faster. To get my fn to go, corner and stop like a Dc5 I'd have to spend several thousand pounds on Brembos, an LSD , suspension and performance upgrades.

I'm not saying the fn and ep are rubbish, both great cars with pros and cons, dc5 also has pros and cons but is more modern and has better kit than the ep3 and performs better than the Fn2 out the box plus is much rarer and has JDM points if you like that kinda thing.

Sent via NecronomiPhon
Excellent summary matey
Thanks to Lunar Tick from:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page