Thinking of buying a FN2 Type R - Civinfo
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 15:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
 
Join Date: 7th January 2013
Location: . WALES
Posts: 439
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
iTrader: (7)
Thinking of buying a FN2 Type R

I am currently deciding between an Audi A4 B8 and a CTR FN2 but after test driving both I am more swayed towards the FN2. (they are completely different cars I know!)


Ideally I would like a CW CTR with sat nav and the GP kit (and a nice set of Rage Alloys!) I have read that ALL CW come with a LSD? Is this right? I also read that they all came with LSD mid 2010 so not sure which is true?

I am aware of the door rust under the rubber trim to look out for, but is there anything else I should look out for specifically?


Also regarding running costs, what sort of MPG people are you type r owners getting in the FN2? Autotrader says 22mpg only but I find that a bit hard to believe and it is putting me off getting one if I am honest.
akingcool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 15:40
Supporter
 
rd55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23rd April 2012
Location: Glasgow, UK GB
Posts: 379
Thanks: 76
Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Hi and welcome.

Yes all the CW have LSD, and Mid 2010 cars have LSD from factory.

Regarding MPG, it really depends on your driving style. Im getting 28mpg...that is a mixture of driving on all sorts of roads. Some people get as low as 23, but one of my mates managed 34mpg.
rd55 is offline  
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 15:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 7th January 2013
Location: . WALES
Posts: 439
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd55 View Post
Hi and welcome.

Yes all the CW have LSD, and Mid 2010 cars have LSD from factory.

Regarding MPG, it really depends on your driving style. Im getting 28mpg...that is a mixture of driving on all sorts of roads. Some people get as low as 23, but one of my mates managed 34mpg.
ah no wonder most CW ones cost a bit more! most adverts for CW don't state anything about the LSD so I wasn't sure. wonder if people can really notice a difference with everyday driving?
akingcool is offline  
 
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 15:48
無限 Unlimited
 
Laney's Avatar
 
Car: 59 Mugenised CTR
Join Date: 14th April 2010
Location: London..ish GB
Posts: 3,740
Thanks: 387
Thanked 533 Times in 496 Posts
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akingcool View Post
I am currently deciding between an Audi A4 B8 and a CTR FN2 but after test driving both I am more swayed towards the FN2. (they are completely different cars I know!)


Ideally I would like a CW CTR with sat nav and the GP kit (and a nice set of Rage Alloys!) I have read that ALL CW come with a LSD? Is this right? I also read that they all came with LSD mid 2010 so not sure which is true?

I am aware of the door rust under the rubber trim to look out for, but is there anything else I should look out for specifically?


Also regarding running costs, what sort of MPG people are you type r owners getting in the FN2? Autotrader says 22mpg only but I find that a bit hard to believe and it is putting me off getting one if I am honest.
In 2009 only CW's came with a factory LSD and from 2010 onwards all colours had the LSD as standard.

Door rust under the rubber trim happens on some not all. If you catch it early enough and treat it's no problem. Look out for the paint work at top of windscreen where rubber meets. Can be bubbling due to poor window fitment, perhaps on replacement.

Obviously check for usual car issues that you might get on any car. If CTR has done over 30k then it should have had valve clearances checked on 25k service.

MPG-wise it depends how you drive but I get 26mpg regularly and I'm boosted, so real world mixed driving see's 30mpg on average. Some people experience better.

Hopefully that's of some help
Laney is offline  
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 15:52
Supporter
 
Man in Black's Avatar
 
Car: 08 Type R GT
Join Date: 8th July 2010
Location: Stirling Scotland SCOTLAND
Posts: 1,462
Thanks: 14
Thanked 210 Times in 180 Posts
iTrader: (2)
paint, clutches bump stops and check the honda site for recalls.... MPG am averaging about 28ish had 33 on motorway with cruise set. I dont regret mine for a minute.... you'll love it
Man in Black is offline  
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:00
Carbon Addict :)
 
Rob Rae's Avatar
 
Car: '59 CTR GT Milano Red
Join Date: 8th December 2012
Location: Nr Stirling SCOTLAND
Posts: 1,434
Thanks: 302
Thanked 289 Times in 260 Posts
iTrader: (27)
Bought mine beginning of December....still can't help smiling.

Ride isn't as harsh as I expected after reading the reviews...

I get 30mpg but that's half A/B and half motorway driving
Rob Rae is offline  
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:02
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Good luck on finding one with satnav although you can follow the threads on here and fit a better after market one yourself.

There is no rust on my doors or under the windscreen seal, I assume these issues were resolved on these later models. The CW ones do go for a premium, personally I would go for a 10 or 60 plate which has LSD in another colour - white is a pig to keep clean.

I drove 360 miles along motorways the other day and averaged 36.8mpg. Currently it's sitting at 27mpg but it's only 10 miles to work so you dont get good fuel economy on any car that barely gets up to temperature before arriving at your destination.

Fab car, very reliable and bags of fun but still very practical. The only things I didn't like were the ECU map (but sorted that with Flashpro) and the headunit (now changed).
discus is offline  
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:08
Aaaaa...V-tech
 
Kaney*Mugen's Avatar
 
Car: 2011 CTR Mugen
Join Date: 2nd February 2012
Location: . SCOTLAND
Posts: 626
Thanks: 36
Thanked 104 Times in 94 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akingcool View Post
I am currently deciding between an Audi A4 B8 and a CTR FN2 but after test driving both I am more swayed towards the FN2. (they are completely different cars I know!)


Ideally I would like a CW CTR with sat nav and the GP kit (and a nice set of Rage Alloys!) I have read that ALL CW come with a LSD? Is this right? I also read that they all came with LSD mid 2010 so not sure which is true?

I am aware of the door rust under the rubber trim to look out for, but is there anything else I should look out for specifically?


Also regarding running costs, what sort of MPG people are you type r owners getting in the FN2? Autotrader says 22mpg only but I find that a bit hard to believe and it is putting me off getting one if I am honest.
hi there matey, really depends on what your using the car for? in terms of fuel the type r hasnt really been designed for fuel economy LOL so yeah on average youll get about 29-30 MPG again depending how you drive,

as for the LSD's CW's came standard with them and because the handling was such an improvement Honda then implemented the LSD as standard into all Type r's registered from march 2010

audi's to be fair are pretty over priced and are more business focussed cars IMO

where as the honda type r is a great fun car to own, youve got the Vtech, the looks the seats and just so much potential to modify them and not forgetting about the fact that a honda is the number 1 most reliable car you can buy where as audi are in the 20's so not good for them.

see here What Car? Reliability Survey 2012 - Introduction - What Car?

on top of this youll have civinfo behind you all the way through your car journey and after , hope this helps
Kaney*Mugen is offline  
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:08
Supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Car: 2012 Civic 1.8 ES milano
Join Date: 18th March 2011
Location: BRISTOL UK ENGLAND
Posts: 1,039
Thanks: 143
Thanked 145 Times in 134 Posts
iTrader: (1)
My type r is giving me average 29mpg. its a awesome car well worth it.
tonymac is offline  
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:09
COTM Feb 2012
 
Guitaralmond's Avatar
 
Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
Join Date: 9th January 2008
Location: Nantwich GB
Posts: 3,995
Thanks: 413
Thanked 319 Times in 282 Posts
iTrader: (11)
The LSD does make quite a good difference, even when not going for it you feel a strange "tracking" of the line you are driving. I got 21-22mpg average although could easily get 30+ or even 40 if I took it carefully.
Guitaralmond is offline  
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:20
Aaaaa...V-tech
 
Kaney*Mugen's Avatar
 
Car: 2011 CTR Mugen
Join Date: 2nd February 2012
Location: . SCOTLAND
Posts: 626
Thanks: 36
Thanked 104 Times in 94 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaralmond View Post
The LSD does make quite a good difference, even when not going for it you feel a strange "tracking" of the line you are driving. I got 21-22mpg average although could easily get 30+ or even 40 if I took it carefully.
would love to see someone getting 40 mpg ! only way you get 40 mpg is sitting in the driveway LOL
Kaney*Mugen is offline  
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:23 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 7th January 2013
Location: . WALES
Posts: 439
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
iTrader: (7)
firstly WOW! thank you! did not expect such a wealth of responses so quickly!

so is it safe to say ANY 10 plate CTR will have a LSD then? not really interested in any other colour but might settle for a black one at the right price.

will the valve clearances check be marked in the service history book? (sorry this will be my first performance car so quite a newbie to all this!)


'clutches bump stops and check the honda site for recalls' - what do you mean by clutches bump stops? :P whether the honda recalls have been done will be down to the owner to provide this information I am guessing?



I have to agree with Rob Rae, the harsh was NO where near as harsh as people made it out to be. The main annoyances with the car was the seat not returning back to position after letting someone in the back and the rear view visability (hence me wanting to get one with sat nav so I can retrofit a reverse camera)


what is wrong with the ECU map and what does the Flashpro do?


and yeh I understand its not designed for fuel economy but getting sub 25mpg would kill me! I currently have a car that does 30mpg which I am happy with so something close to that will do me fine.



PS: sorry for the long reply, just thought I would answer everything in one post.
akingcool is offline  
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:24
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaney*Mugen View Post
would love to see someone getting 40 mpg ! only way you get 40 mpg is sitting in the driveway LOL

Me too, I tried once and failed.

I was amazed I got almost 37mpg for 300 miles but it was raining all the way and loads of surface spray so nobody was going over 70.

Last edited by discus; 9th January 2013 at 16:32.
discus is offline  
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:30
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
All cars manufactured after April 2010 have LSD. Valve clearance check is around 25k on the service schedule, the engines are bullet proof if you dont thrash them cold.

I didn't like having to rev the nuts off the thing to overtake, Flashpro reduces the VTEC point to 3800rpm, increases the rev limit to 8600rpm, gets rid a few annoying features like revs hanging when you change gear - just feels faster.

I have a Pioneer double din fitted with a reverse camera so dont think you need to find one with the Honda satnav.
discus is offline  
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 16:37
Aaaaa...V-tech
 
Kaney*Mugen's Avatar
 
Car: 2011 CTR Mugen
Join Date: 2nd February 2012
Location: . SCOTLAND
Posts: 626
Thanks: 36
Thanked 104 Times in 94 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
All cars manufactured after April 2010 have LSD. Valve clearance check is around 25k on the service schedule, the engines are bullet proof if you dont thrash them cold.

I didn't like having to rev the nuts off the thing to overtake, Flashpro reduces the VTEC point to 3800rpm, increases the rev limit to 8600rpm, gets rid a few annoying features like revs hanging when you change gear - just feels faster.

I have a Pioneer double din fitted with a reverse camera so dont think you need to find one with the Honda satnav.

models made from 1 March 2010 have LSD fitted as standard was when it began dude ,

as for the poor rear view....this will cheer you right up what my dealer told me about an upside of this, whenever a car with the full beam or un aligned headlight comes up from behind it does not blind you because of the spoiler ! lol its actually true does redue it
Kaney*Mugen is offline  
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 18:07
Supporter
 
Man in Black's Avatar
 
Car: 08 Type R GT
Join Date: 8th July 2010
Location: Stirling Scotland SCOTLAND
Posts: 1,462
Thanks: 14
Thanked 210 Times in 180 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akingcool View Post
firstly WOW! thank you! did not expect such a wealth of responses so quickly!

so is it safe to say ANY 10 plate CTR will have a LSD then? not really interested in any other colour but might settle for a black one at the right price.

will the valve clearances check be marked in the service history book? (sorry this will be my first performance car so quite a newbie to all this!)


'clutches bump stops and check the honda site for recalls' - what do you mean by clutches bump stops? :P whether the honda recalls have been done will be down to the owner to provide this information I am guessing?



I have to agree with Rob Rae, the harsh was NO where near as harsh as people made it out to be. The main annoyances with the car was the seat not returning back to position after letting someone in the back and the rear view visability (hence me wanting to get one with sat nav so I can retrofit a reverse camera)


what is wrong with the ECU map and what does the Flashpro do?


and yeh I understand its not designed for fuel economy but getting sub 25mpg would kill me! I currently have a car that does 30mpg which I am happy with so something close to that will do me fine.



PS: sorry for the long reply, just thought I would answer everything in one post.
clutches: Clutches can be fragile so check it

Paint is known to be really soft so check the bonnett and front end for chips

Bump stops: They are prone to go..... if you hear a weird noise from front end when hitting bumps or potholes then they need done.

If you know the index of the car your after then type it into the honda uk website page for recalls and it will tell you if there are any outstanding on that vehicle.
Man in Black is offline  
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 18:26
Supporter
 
discus's Avatar
 
Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Join Date: 6th July 2007
Location: Northants ENGLAND
Posts: 1,677
Thanks: 22
Thanked 240 Times in 228 Posts
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaney*Mugen View Post
models made from 1 March 2010 have LSD fitted as standard was when it began dude ,

as for the poor rear view....this will cheer you right up what my dealer told me about an upside of this, whenever a car with the full beam or un aligned headlight comes up from behind it does not blind you because of the spoiler ! lol its actually true does redue it

No 'dude' April!
discus is offline  
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 18:33
Supporter
 
Swalesy's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 Milano CTR
Join Date: 1st February 2009
Location: Merseyside ENGLAND
Posts: 851
Thanks: 419
Thanked 234 Times in 190 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Keep in mind, a car may of been manufactured before the date from which an LSD became standard, but only registered after that date, so will have a 10 plate.

I'm not sure if there is anything on the log book or printed somewhere on the car to let you know.

Failing that, just take it on a 'proper' drive with roundabouts and corners - it should become clear soon enough if it has an LSD or not
Swalesy is offline  
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 18:54
 
higham's Avatar
 
Car: 57 CTR GT, NHB
Join Date: 2nd August 2009
Location: manchester uk GB
Posts: 3,543
Thanks: 142
Thanked 318 Times in 303 Posts
iTrader: (0)
check the vin number to make sure its a MY10
higham is offline  
Thanks to higham from:
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 9th January 2013, 19:07
Aaaaa...V-tech
 
Kaney*Mugen's Avatar
 
Car: 2011 CTR Mugen
Join Date: 2nd February 2012
Location: . SCOTLAND
Posts: 626
Thanks: 36
Thanked 104 Times in 94 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
No 'dude' April!
where are you getting this? i know this from Honda and its actually on wikipedia as well, this is a direct copy so have a read at the last lines

Versions
Type R GT includes, dual zone climate control (Left:right independent), rain sensing windscreen wipers, refrigerated glove box, automatic headlights with dusk sensor, front fog lights, power folding door mirrors, cruise control, front and rear curtain airbags. It is finished in the same three colours as the standard FN2, and a new addition the range, deep sapphire blue pearl. As often, names and trims vary even within domain markets down to local ones, and a Heritage version replaces GT version in some of them, adding Xenon/HID lights to the mix. The topping Heritage Navi version adds Bluetooth telephone system and voice recognition DVD satellite navigation. A more radical version dubbed Race differs from the Heritage by removing components (incl. HID, AC, fog lights, audio system, sound proofing, some airbags) to reduce weight as much as 40 kg (88 lb). Finally, together with the 2009 revision to all 8th gen. EDM Civic variants (adding for example a USB iPod-compatible plug to the audio system), a special edition called Championship White comes in the eponyme Honda color, with the same alloys only with matching white color, 18" wheels (19" white Rage optional). This edition adds an exclusive limited slip differential to a Heritage trim level, which Honda touted at Paris Motor Show as helping the car shave off more than a second to its undisclosed Tsukuba lap time. In addition models made from 1 March 2010 have LSD fitted as standard. ....

thank you
Kaney*Mugen is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of buying an EP3 jonimatix General Discussion (8G) 7 8th December 2012 11:10
Thinking about buying a FN2 johnmac Type-R 8 30th November 2012 20:23
Thinking of buying another EX 2.2 eighteentee General Discussion (8G) 0 14th September 2011 19:00
Thinking of buying a new TV RickHondaR Any non Civic chat here please! 87 14th March 2011 20:11
Price thinking of buying this type s gt any thoughts anyone? deni.babe Buying, Dealers and Servicing 11 13th October 2010 14:57

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome