Losing grip with OEM Potenzas - just the cold weather to blame? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 13:47 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 CTR GT
Losing grip with OEM Potenzas - just the cold weather to blame?

My CTR still has the factory tyres (3 years and 18K miles done since new) and sufficient tread depth on all four of them on inspection...

Thing is though, lately I've been experiencing more wheel spin than normal -
first thoughts are that the cold weather is to blame, given I'm running 'summer' tyres in winter...

However, could this wheel spin issue be down to tyre compound degradation given their age?

How long do other CTR owners keep their tyres? I've always tended to replace before legal limits on my other less powerful cars to date...

Any advice appreciated,

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 14:07
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
My Potenza's had barely any grip before I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric's, these have wayyyyyyyy more grip. Guess the Potenza's dont like the cold.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 15:56
Supporter

just changed mine to Eagle F1's too and they are just general better tyres, cheaper than the Pots too!

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p..._Noise%3A_70dB

Last edited by akingcool; 26th February 2013 at 15:58. Reason: link

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 16:22
On the sofa

Car: Fiesta ST2 & Focus ST2
I had similar age and mileage Potenzas on my CTR when I bought the car and the rubber was starting to crack between the treads. Grip was poor and they were rock hard. I think even in good nick they need quite a bit of heat in them to get them to grip well.

Goodyears are the way forward - fantastic in the dry, and nearly as good in the wet too with a better ride as a bonus.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 16:28

Summer tyres start to drop off at 7 degrees C.

The older the tyre the harder it will be in low temps, thus exaggerating the loss of grip.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 16:48
Supporter

Car: 2007 FN2 GT
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,635 Posts
Check the tyres, I was looking at a set at the wekend on a members car and they had visible signs of cracking and degradation
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 17:13
Supporter

Car: 09 Crystal Black CTR GT

I replaced all the tyres on mine as they were useless when the car was about 3years old and done about 12k miles. There was still plenty of tread left but they were very hard and were starting to crack really badly.

It is also worth noting that the tyres might be considerably older than when the car was registered, mine were nearly a year older.

Here's how to check.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Thanks to ScottM from:
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 17:19
Tarmacadam Terror

Car: 2010 Alabaster Silver CTR GT
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,587 Posts

I've got 2 month old potenzas on, was spinning in third going up a hill last night, vsa cut in. I find Below 8 degrees they are shocking, below freezing they are like concrete until They've warmed up.

Sent via NecronomiPhon
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 17:19
Supporter

Car: 59 CB CTR GT
I've had my car for 3 years 5 months from brand new now. Still on the first set of tyres and I've noticed I get wheel spin during cold weather + cold tyres but that's only if I've been a little bit too hard on the gas peddle whilst pulling out onto a dual carriage way. Just drive carefully I've done about 28000 miles and maybe have around 4-5mm tread left on all 4 wheels.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 19:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 CTR GT
Cheers for the responses everyone...

I've not noticed any cracking of the tyre rubber at all, thankfully...

Driving situation that made me question the grip was going round a bend hitting V-tec in third gear onto the city bypass...I usually don't give her the beans on that corner, but expected better from the tyres...an LSD would have helped out no doubt! To those that say an LSD is only if you do track days, I urge you to reconsider in light of my experiences...

Potenzas in summer are brill, no problem with them at all, stick like glue to the road...There's some mileage left in them, but from what I've read on the forum, I will be giving the Goodyear Eagles a try, though I have heard they 'flex' more than the Potenzas without the stiff sidewall...

K
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 20:23
Supporter

Car: RX-8 R3, Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakane View Post

Driving situation that made me question the grip was going round a bend hitting V-tec in third gear onto the city bypass...I usually don't give her the beans on that corner, but expected better from the tyres...an LSD would have helped out no doubt! To those that say an LSD is only if you do track days, I urge you to reconsider in light of my experiences...

Potenzas in summer are brill, no problem with them at all, stick like glue to the road...There's some mileage left in them, but from what I've read on the forum, I will be giving the Goodyear Eagles a try, though I have heard they 'flex' more than the Potenzas without the stiff sidewall...

K
Get the XL version of the GY Eagles if you want to keep the wall stiff.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 10:55
Supporter

Car: 59 CB CTR GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakane View Post

K
There's also reports of the goodyear eagles wearing out really fast as well but if changing tyres every so often is not a problem you should give it a go
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 10:58
#darkside

Car: 2015 LCI M135i
Have you considered the Michelin Pilot Super Sports? Very long wearing and exceptional grip all round. Winning a lot of reviews at the moment and beating the tyres your mentioning above. Purchased a set for myself and the difference is night and day over RE050A
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 11:17
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR NHB
Morning

For what it's worth, I had the same issue with mine when I first got it. The Potenza's are a good tyre in the summer but I really didn't have confidence in them when the temperature dropped and also experienced a lot of wheelspin.

They are not as hard wearing and perhaps not such a good all round tyres but I have fitted Toyo Proxes T1 and have been pretty pleased with them.

However as the other guys said, if your car is a daily driver than worthwhile going for a more premium tyre.

Cheers
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 12:16
Supporter

Seems strange that Honda should fit a summer tyre to new cars in this country - summer only lasts two weeks after all.

I have Michelin PS2's on the Porsche and they are incredible. I never rated the Potenza's on the Civic in summer either, always scrabbling for grip. The Goodyear's have gripped better on the cold, greasy roads today than the Potenza's ever did on my car in Summer - Goodyear's have been a definite performance upgrade.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 12:33
C.B
UKDM

Car: 2007 CTR NHB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparda_gm View Post
Just drive carefully I've done about 28000 miles and maybe have around 4-5mm tread left on all 4 wheels.
You have managed 28k out of a set of tyres on a type r and they are only half worn???
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B View Post
You have managed 28k out of a set of tyres on a type r and they are only half worn???
With rotations I assume
Thanks to pulpmelon_r from:
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 12:43
Supporter

My fronts lasted 20k, my rears have about 7mm remaining so I can believe it if you rotate them.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 18:26
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2 CW K24/K20
From my experience 2 points about Bridgestone RE50A tyre :

a) From 250HP+ this tire cannot transmit power to a road (wheel spinning)
b) this tire after 2-3 seasons needs to be replaced probably due to degradation of rubber compound.
c) It's quite hard compound so a little bit colder/rain you got wheel spin as well
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 18:53
Supporter

Car: Orchid White GG6 Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1le View Post
From my experience 2 points about Bridgestone RE50A tyre :

a) From 250HP+ this tire cannot transmit power to a road (wheel spinning)
b) this tire after 2-3 seasons needs to be replaced probably due to degradation of rubber compound.
c) It's quite hard compound so a little bit colder/rain you got wheel spin as well
So very true. I really wouldn't bother with these tyres on standard bhp nevermind 250bhp+! I think they take too long to heat up and wear very quick. Both my front and even OSR RE50 started to crack within 4k miles of mild abuse.

Only good thing I can say is the tread pattern 'looks' nice and the reinforced side wall does a good job of protecting the alloy from kerbs.
I await more tyre recommendations from members!

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page