Aftermarket or oem - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 1st March 2013, 14:18 Thread Starter
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,217 Posts
Aftermarket or oem

Hi, as i seem to be having a clutch issue (1 yr old,non aggressive driving), im wondering do i stick with the oem clutch and flywheel or to be safe upgrade to a stage 1 clutch kit and lightened flywheel, im not going to be adding masses of power in the future (just a few added bhp).
My last clutch wasn't from honda but it looks like the one that was added wasn't much cop (could be that the flywheel wasn't replaced or wasn't aligned propely). I know the honda clutch is good but with no real difference in prices is it just worth upgrading, or even upgraded clutch and oem flywheel any ideas so i can do some shopping, thanks, Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 1st March 2013, 14:29
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2 CW K24/K20
OEM flywheel is already very light, does not need replacement unless you want to be a complete hardcore. OEM clutch is OK for daily driving.
Thanks to F1le from:
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 8th March 2013, 09:34
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR NHB
Send a message via Skype™ to TYPE-R '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezle View Post
Hi, as i seem to be having a clutch issue (1 yr old,non aggressive driving), im wondering do i stick with the oem clutch and flywheel or to be safe upgrade to a stage 1 clutch kit and lightened flywheel, im not going to be adding masses of power in the future (just a few added bhp).
My last clutch wasn't from honda but it looks like the one that was added wasn't much cop (could be that the flywheel wasn't replaced or wasn't aligned propely). I know the honda clutch is good but with no real difference in prices is it just worth upgrading, or even upgraded clutch and oem flywheel any ideas so i can do some shopping, thanks, Rob.
Hi Rob!
Just changed my clutch this past summer. I drive it hard at times. When I would "floor it" I'd then get this smell like hair burning and the car wouldn't take-off as it should (a slight delay). Was told at some point it's either your brakes rubbing or it might be the clutch. In my case it was the clutch. I bought the clutch kit (Genuine Honda) myself and went to Honda for the fit. Only paid them for the labor. The mechanic at Honda had a look at the flywheel and said it was OK. You wouldn't do any harm in changing the flywheel but you may not have to. For trani-fluid you might wanna try
AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 You'll see a big difference in the shifting 2 quarts are just enough. Others here have tried it and love it. So much better than Honda's. As for the clutch kit......
Clutch Kits : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories Great prices!

Hope I was of some help and sorry for writing a book. lol
Thanks to TYPE-R '07 from:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page