First impressions 1.0SR CVT - Page 2 - Civinfo
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2017, 12:44

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
First impressions 1.0SR CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Thank you for this, very interesting indeed! I was just about to post a thread about the throttle mapping because I felt there may be something wrong with my CVT! Moving away from rest with very light and gentle throttle input, all is fine, but as you say, if you press the accelerator just slightly further, it suddenly launches off with the revs going immediately up to 3,000 and you're pinned back in your seat and heading very quickly towards the car in front. I guess then that there isn't anything wrong with mine, that's just the way they are. That's the thing with a CVT you really have to get to know it and learn how to drive it. Yesterday I felt I was getting to know mine a bit better and I was managing to avoid suddenly racing off, you just need really light throttle inputs and let it kind of "catch up" with itself, then if you apply a little more acceleration you can make smooth progress without a screaming engine. It does take practice though, and I can understand people who say they hate CVTs! However, once you've learned how to master them and got to know your car and how it responds, I think they are really good transmissions.

Try and activate the Eco mode (IIRC it affects the climate control so that it "hovers" around the set temperature (so the car occupants are less comfortable) and changes the DBW throttle sensitivity so you have to press harder than if you were not in Eco mode) and see if it softens the throttle inputs during stop/start traffic. I think it helped to soften the lurch forward for me but I could be imagining things. I'd say if you were to lend your car to someone else who is unfamilar with the sudden lurching that could really catch someone unawares. When I get the chance I want to test drive a 1.8L NA engined Civic with CVT to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bonsai likes this.

Last edited by Vti07; 2nd April 2017 at 12:56.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2017, 18:59 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
Try and activate the Eco mode (IIRC it affects the climate control so that it "hovers" around the set temperature (so the car occupants are less comfortable) and changes the DBW throttle sensitivity so you have to press harder than if you were not in Eco mode) and see if it softens the throttle inputs during stop/start traffic. I think it helped to soften the lurch forward for me but I could be imagining things. I'd say if you were to lend your car to someone else who is unfamilar with the sudden lurching that could really catch someone unawares. When I get the chance I want to test drive a 1.8L NA engined Civic with CVT to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that and see if it makes a difference. I'm learning a lot about this CVT the more I drive. It definitely senses road gradients and holds the revs higher if you are going up even a modest incline, and I am wondering also if it has some sort of adaptive technology that learns the way you drive, I know a lot of auto boxes do that.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2017, 19:02 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmckelvie View Post
What kind of driving style is this? round town, over 3K rpm?
This is with very varied use, I'm going around town with some stop/ traffic then a little spurt down the motorway, lots of different speeds and driving conditions because this is always the best way to break in a new car. The revs have gone just over 3K quite a lot because it seems to want to do that a lot. The fuel computer shows an average of 40.6 after my little jaunts today.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10th April 2017, 13:16

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that and see if it makes a difference. I'm learning a lot about this CVT the more I drive. It definitely senses road gradients and holds the revs higher if you are going up even a modest incline, and I am wondering also if it has some sort of adaptive technology that learns the way you drive, I know a lot of auto boxes do that.

Did you get the chance to see if Eco mode softens the throttle response in stop/start traffic?

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10th April 2017, 22:22 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
Did you get the chance to see if Eco mode softens the throttle response in stop/start traffic?

I did try it, and it didn't make any noticeable difference, however, with daily use the gearbox seems to be less snappy than it was and I can manage most journeys without getting screaming engine and lurching forward all the time and most of the jerkiness seems to be subsiding.. I will admit that after my initial rush of enthusiasm I wasn't particularly happy with the CVT, but now I'm getting used to how the car responds and what throttle inputs to give it for the smoothest responses, it's much better. It takes practice though.
Farqui likes this.
Thanks to Bonsai from:
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 09:01

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
Quote:
Yes, a mate of mine has a manual with start/stop and they do exactly as you say, gear in neutral, foot off clutch, engine stops, so you have some control over it. Start/stop was never put on automatics before but now they've worked out how to do it, you come to a stop in the Civic auto, the engine stops, put your foot back on the accelerator, it starts again, or if you move the selector out of D to N or R, it starts again. For me, it's horrible, some people may love it! But when you're in very slow moving, stop/start traffic and you may only be stopped for a fraction of a second, the engine going off and on constantly like that is a total pain in the proverbial!

You need to learn how to use the brake pedal when you come to a stop and don't want to idle stop, its all about how much pressure you put on the pedal, light press but enough to hold the car means idle stop is not activated, more pressure idle stop will be activated. You will often seen the message, press the brake pedal harder, this is the cars indication that it can go in to idle stop.

For your CMBS activations, change the detection setting in the vehicle settings menu to "Near"
On the Honda connect screen press [Home] > Settings > Vehicle > Driver Assist System Setup > Forward collision warning distance
Kremmen and Farqui like this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12th April 2017, 10:19

Quote:
I did try it, and it didn't make any noticeable difference, however, with daily use the gearbox seems to be less snappy than it was and I can manage most journeys without getting screaming engine and lurching forward all the time and most of the jerkiness seems to be subsiding.. I will admit that after my initial rush of enthusiasm I wasn't particularly happy with the CVT, but now I'm getting used to how the car responds and what throttle inputs to give it for the smoothest responses, it's much better. It takes practice though.
I spotted this online:

Quote:
A drive-by-wire throttle system replaces the conventional throttle cable with intelligent electronics that link the accelerator pedal to a throttle valve inside the throttle body. The result is lower component weight, as well as quicker and more accurate throttle actuation. A specially programmed non-linear ratio between the throttle pedal and engine offers improved drivability and optimised engine response to suit specific driving conditions.
I wonder if the "non-linear mapping" can be updated to smooth it out. Alternatively, have you considered that there may be a fault with your accelerator pedal?

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page