LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 12:47
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
An electronic dip stick? - really?!

Whatever next...
Yes, and not a BMW (maybe a 2002 saloon) me thinks the new 3 cylinder Civic ! (jazz 3 cylinder does still stay in the reckoning)
Nowell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 12:54

Car: 2006 1.8 Civic ES Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550 View Post
Can't recall exact details, but some of the german models have come low down in the owner satisfaction surveys. Honda have a good record in reliability and satisfaction surveys (from memory). From a personal point of view I feel far more reasured buying a japanese engineered car than a german and that I'm pretty sure is where I'll be spending my money next. 'Suppose if I thought german was better I'd be interested in buying one of those !

My partner's at the time new 1 series petrol BMW was medioca in every respect except handling where I would say it excelled. Even the missus who knows nothing about cars would mention it seemed noisier/less refined than she would have expected. Minor point but strangely there was no engine oil level dipstick. You had to enter an electronic menu and wait for it to give the reading. Many times the journey was over before that happened. Bit annoying really !
I think the problem is that a lot of people buying a german car are fooled into thinking they are buying something that will last and work flawlessly for years without servicing etc, which then leads to issues. You could buy any car in the world and it would slowly crumble if not looked after properly.

As for the surveys I would take them with a pinch of salt (apart from the reliability). The more you spend on something the more you expect from it, the less you spend the more it exceeds your expectations. That goes for any product money can buy.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 13:07
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo78 View Post
I think the problem is that a lot of people buying a german car are fooled into thinking they are buying something that will last and work flawlessly for years without servicing etc, which then leads to issues. You could buy any car in the world and it would slowly crumble if not looked after properly.

As for the surveys I would take them with a pinch of salt (apart from the reliability). The more you spend on something the more you expect from it, the less you spend the more it exceeds your expectations. That goes for any product money can buy.
Good points of view, I would be a bit surprised though if significant numbers of people were buying german thinking they did,nt need maintenance. I'm thinking as they get older they could be needing more!
Thanks to cb550 from:

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 16:35
Supporter

Car: 10G SLASH CTR, rallye red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo78 View Post
Of course you should always take surveys with a pinch of salt. But if you spend more, I think you are allowed to expect more.
The problem is - like you state - that you can get an okay car for half the money, and think "Why the hell should I pay more?". In development we usually have the so called 80-20 rule (or Pareto principle). If you're looking at the whole development, you spend 20% of the time to get 80% of the features (and quality etc.) and 80% of the time to get the missing 20%. Well you can just stop somewhere in between and have a car which has like 85% of the best car but end up with a price of just half of it.

Some people won't appreciate the 15%, they just want to get from A to B and probably don't think too much about running costs (which can be higher because of lower quality) before buying their car. Running costs don't strike you as much as a car which costs 5k more. You have this fuzzy feeling that you have more month left when the money runs out but a lot of people don't calculate their running costs.

I use an app and keep track of all my costs, not necessarily to reduce them, but just to know where my money goes. Most people I talk to react like: "Uh I don't wanna know what my car costs me"
Thanks to Arsenal from:
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 17:56

Car: 2006 1.8 Civic ES Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
Of course you should always take surveys with a pinch of salt. But if you spend more, I think you are allowed to expect more.
The problem is - like you state - that you can get an okay car for half the money, and think "Why the hell should I pay more?". In development we usually have the so called 80-20 rule (or Pareto principle). If you're looking at the whole development, you spend 20% of the time to get 80% of the features (and quality etc.) and 80% of the time to get the missing 20%. Well you can just stop somewhere in between and have a car which has like 85% of the best car but end up with a price of just half of it.

Some people won't appreciate the 15%, they just want to get from A to B and probably don't think too much about running costs (which can be higher because of lower quality) before buying their car. Running costs don't strike you as much as a car which costs 5k more. You have this fuzzy feeling that you have more month left when the money runs out but a lot of people don't calculate their running costs.

I use an app and keep track of all my costs, not necessarily to reduce them, but just to know where my money goes. Most people I talk to react like: "Uh I don't wanna know what my car costs me"
I agree. You should always take into account how much you spend per month on anything unless you like big surprises.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12th April 2017, 19:04
Supporter

Eco display Eco display
Garage
I love the shape but the lack of magic seats is deal breaker for me. Shame, because I really wanted to upgrade my 8th gen to 10th gen in a couple of years time. Will probably look for 9th gen with low mileage instead.
robbo78 likes this.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in