• 1 Post By mick90
  • 1 Post By foddy
  • 7 Post By foddy
  • 1 Post By tony2416

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th May 2017, 22:31 Thread Starter

Polished Metal Sport Plus Manual

Day 1!

So, I picked it up from the dealer today. So far, mixed results. I'm coming from a 2006 1.8 EX, so comparisons will be to that.

The good - I love the look of it, more than I thought I would. The colour is lovely, and the dark tint of the windows and roof look great with the polished metal. The drive is very smooth, and going over speed-bumps is like light and day compared with the 8G. I like the gear stick and layout. I'm starting to get used to the electronic hand-brake, but it seems to work well enough. The sat-nav is very different, and you can't see as much on the map, but it's mostly just different.

The bad - there are a lot of missing features, and the quality has apparently dropped in places. Things I'm missing: the little cupboard under the radio to keep cards & things in. The ashtray, to keep the locking wheel nut in. The enclosed space in the centre (which is now open). The glovebox doesn't have a vent. The seat raising/lowering seems a lot more creaky. Space under the boot space. The cover of the boot space (it seems to be unfinished hardboard with lumps of foam glued on! It also can't be held up.)

The ugly - so, having picked it up and driving the chicane through the dealer car park, it starts beeping continuously, warning about approaching objects. I had read about the collision mitigation having trouble on tight turns, and assumed (hoped) it was that. It went away, but later returned. After a trip to London, I took it back to the dealer. They reset it and couldn't find any faults (it wasn't doing it at the time) and I was sent on my way. It returned on the next trip. Not massively happy about this.

Don't get me wrong, I think (once the sensor problem is fixed) that it'll be a fabulous car. However, it's not all positive, and I haven't mentioned magic seats once.

Foddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2077.jpg (71.4 KB, 154 views)
stoo and Farqui like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 00:33
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.5 S-Design GT Blue
Thanks for review. Hopefully any niggling problems will soon be sorted.

I am waiting for delivery of the same spec car so interested in your review.

As a matter of interest are there two sliding cup holders in the front, or just one fixed one?

Cheers and best wishes with your car.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 08:16

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foddy View Post
The ashtray, to keep the locking wheel nut in.Space under the boot space. The cover of the boot space (it seems to be unfinished hardboard with lumps of foam glued on! It also can't be held up.)
In the back of the armrest you have a spot where you can keep such things.
In the US they have a sliding tray also, maybe if you can get your hands on that for extra storage?

If you buy the Prestige you have a much sturdier boot space cover and decent space beneath it. This is only in the Sport.
eagerv likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 11:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerv View Post
As a matter of interest are there two sliding cup holders in the front, or just one fixed one?
Neither - there are two cup holders, one inside the other. You can pull the top one out and push it back in behind the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikbenben View Post
In the back of the armrest you have a spot where you can keep such things.
In the US they have a sliding tray also, maybe if you can get your hands on that for extra storage?
I didn't know about the tray, but anything in the back of that is actually visible through the front window. Apart from looking untidy, there's a security issue. I think if the second cup-holder was in place, it would hide more, but the tray would probably be better.

Quote:
If you buy the Prestige you have a much sturdier boot space cover and decent space beneath it. This is only in the Sport.
Yes, the under-boot area on the sport/sport+ has a polystyrene filler with holes cut in it for the tyre pump etc. (and some spare, presumably for other markets which need things like warning triangles). I had assumed that this could be removed for more space, but I think it's pretty structural. The hard board wouldn't take much weight without it - I have fit a small blanket, a couple of high-vis and a thin rain coat in it the holes, but that's it.
eagerv likes this.
Thanks to foddy from:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 11:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Day 2 - just been on a 40-mile round-trip for a bit of parkrun tourism.

I'm liking the adaptive cruise control a lot. I does have a habit of braking a little harder than I would have (some hysteresis in the distance wouldn't go amiss) and occasionally it brakes for a car in a different lane, but generally it's fantastic. Going through a 50mph limit on the motorway was trivial - set it to 55 & it keeps perfect distance to the car in front.

The lane keep assist is fun, but not something to rely on. I'm not sure if I'll leave it on all the time, but it doesn't seem to hurt as long as you keep control of the wheel. If it loses the lane detection, it turns off silently, so you do still need to keep on top of it. I did have one warning about keeping my hands on the wheel when both were, so I don't know how that gets detected, but mostly it's been spot-on. The blind-spot indicators work flawlessly, and are very useful, although I still look over my shoulder to check (old habits die hard).

On the subject of speed, I compared the speedo to Waze while my wife was driving. It looks to me to read about 5-6% over (70mph read at about 74). This is a fair change from the 9% on my 8G.

The sat-nav is taking time to get used to. It doesn't let you quickly look at the route or show where traffic is (there's much less visible on the display, which feels a lot smaller). It keeps saying "enter the roundabout" without giving a clue as to which way you're going, or the lane to get into, and it's really slow at spotting that you've gone the wrong way and deciding to recalculate.

44mpg since filling up yesterday. I don't know how far I've been, as I can't seem to find the trip distance on the display, but I've certainly been enjoying the acceleration with the turbo. However, I did find myself going slower on the motorway as the ACC would slow me down and I'd not feel the need to pull out into the next lane.

Edit: I forgot to mention, no problems with the sensors so far today. It's good and bad as it means it'll probably take longer to diagnose and fix.
eagerv likes this.

Last edited by foddy; 20th May 2017 at 12:12.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 12:29

Car: 2017 Civic Sport Rallye Red
Garage
I love the new Civic. I've had the same experience as you with the front parking sensors being a bit mental when it's raining.

Don't try slowing down to quickly with the ACC it brakes hard then aswell. Scared the life out of me and the guy behind me when I changed the speed from 50 to 30. Nothing like regular cruise where it'll coast down to that speed. Brakes on!

I've not used that Garmin nav,I use android auto. Google maps works perfectly.

Hows the glass roof?
eagerv likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 13:25
Supporter

I'm glad it has Garmin Nav. I find their normal stand alone system good and easy to program.This looks the same. I am sure Android auto will also be good when I get the car!

PS I'm used to using the terrible VW Columbus system in my present Skoda.

Last edited by eagerv; 20th May 2017 at 13:28.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 14:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerv View Post
I'm glad it has Garmin Nav. I find their normal stand alone system good and easy to program.This looks the same. I am sure Android auto will also be good when I get the car!
It's not bad, but it's a big change from the 8G sat-nav. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and given the free updates it'll probably be worth putting some bug reports/feature requests in.
eagerv likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 20:16

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Quote:
44mpg since filling up yesterday. I don't know how far I've been, as I can't seem to find the trip distance on the display.
Push the pin on the right side in your dials. You can see the tripcounter for A and B.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 20:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikbenben View Post
Push the pin on the right side in your dials. You can see the tripcounter for A and B.
Hah! I had that exactly problem today, I was pressing every button on the steering wheel (which just seems to change the audio) and ended up looking it up in the manual!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 20:55
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Pictures !! Hope you enjoy it. I sometimes look at a nice red one at the dealer and wish I'd waited, but it's wider than my mk9. No diesel. Plus hopefully all the bugs have been ironed out with my late(last of) build. Get yourself 'Roadtrip' app on your phone to monitor your fuel mpg and real time running costs. Can be scary though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 20th May 2017, 21:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Pictures ... not taken many so far, unfortunately. Here are a couple from day 1 in the rain. I'm loving the shape of the bonnet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2076.jpg (94.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2075.jpg (95.0 KB, 143 views)
Thanks to foddy from:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 01:47
Supporter

Quote:
Pictures ... not taken many so far, unfortunately. Here are a couple from day 1 in the rain. I'm loving the shape of the bonnet.
Yes the shape of the bonnet is the first thing I noticed when test driving the 10th Gen. It's a sight you rarely see on modern cars.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 14:04

Car: 2017 1.5 prestige
Quote:
drive and enjoy welcome to the new generation
foddy likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th June 2018, 14:46

Car: 2018 1.5 Turbo Sport+, Red
Garage
Love this thread, really can't wait to pickup mine now

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in