6Likes
  • 3 Post By Bonsai
  • 3 Post By K20 King

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 14th July 2018, 17:58 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
What a difference 500ml makes

Oh boy, I just traded in my 1.0SR for a 1.5 Sport Plus and the difference is like night and day. The 1.0 with the CVT was, IMO a very bad match and although I really tried to like it, I just didn't. It's not to say it was slow, not by any means, it was just the way it operated, sending the revs up to the 3K to 4K range at any and every opportunity making for very noisy and unrefined, jerky progress.

The 1.5 with 4 cylinders is immeasurably smoother and so quiet you're not really aware of it and with the CVT it's as smooth as silk with the revs staying low, between 1,500 to 2,000 unless you really want to push it a bit and even then it only goes up to 2,500 and you're pushed back into the seat. At 70 mph it settles down to 1,900 rpm whereas the 1.0 would have been at 2,250.

I love the Civic as a product which is why I've gone for another one, I just made the wrong choice of engine 1st time round. Pretty much all the reviews say it, the 6 speed manual is the best for the 1.0 and the CVT is the perfect match for the 1.5, should have paid more attention to that.

The adaptive dampers in the Sport Plus do improve the ride quality in normal mode too so that makes the car even smoother.

Another thread has mentioned Aircon noise in the 1.5 and I've got it too, it's like a very muted and distant "mooing" sound, like when you run a wet finger round the rim of a wine glass as someone else described it. It's very faint and I think I can live with it, but it's definitely there. So far no squealing breaks, but I guess time will tell on that one.

All in all, I'm delighted, it's exactly the car I wanted now, and I think this will be a keeper for sure.
mario898, stoo and rob.e like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 25th September 2018, 14:30

Car: 58 CTR GT Milano Red
Same here, although I didn't have a CVT 'box I had a 1.0 three cylinder SE. It was terrible to live with, literally sounded like half a V6 and I didn't see great returns in terms of MPG. 6 months on I cleared the finance and went for the Sport (manual). On initial test drive I came across the current Focus ST on the road and after some spirited driving, it held it's own. After that, I decided to take the plunge.

180-190 bhp is warm hatch territory and go back ten years or so it would have definitely been a hot hatch. After reading into the L15B I found out that Honda have an in built turbo lag, which for me became slightly annoying when having to waiting for something to happen when booting it, sometimes up to 2 seconds.

I found that Hondata had released the Flashpro for the 10th gen civic sport. No brainer. It's a completely different beast and it now hangs with the likes of the (pre-face lift) current manual Audi S3.
With the deletion of rev hang, addition of flat foot shifting and almost minimal turbo lag (plus more booooost) it's a proper sleeper and I couldn't be happier with it.

I've had no issues with the car at all in my ownership since December 17. Nothing mechanical anyway. Honda's renowned thin and soft paint is a bug bear, especially as a hobbiest detailer. Anti-glare coating on the screen scratches too easily and sends my OCD through the roof on a sunny day. Speaking of the entertainment system, I would recommend the use of the honda hack app. It's a bit of a faff getting it on there, but with the likes of Netflix and youtube for the kids it's a win win. Kids love the car, it's quiet, plenty of space in the back. Put the car side by side to the current BMW 3 series and you'd be hard pressed to call it. It's a big car as Chris Harris said in his review of the Type R. I would have liked to see the US Civic SI seats in there seeing as it's supposed to be a mid range car between to 1 litre triple and Type R. But alas, we only make the bloody thing in the UK, not like we contribute much in any way is it.

Great car. love it.
stoo, VladaBG and psbcivic like this.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in