4Likes
  • 1 Post By Starbucks70
  • 1 Post By Starbucks70
  • 1 Post By skyboy
  • 1 Post By Haltamer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 13:14 Thread Starter

Can't decide: 1.5 petrol or 1.6 diesel; manual or auto

I currently have an 8G EX 2.2 CTDI which I've had from new. Great car, just goes on and on but finally thinking of getting new. I find the 2.2 performs really well and would appreciate comment from anyone who is able to compare new 1.5/1.6 against this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 16:27
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
I have the 1.5Turbo and had a 1.6 as a loaner when my car was in for the aircon whistle a couple of days ago. I prefer my 1.5 hands down. The high low revs torque that I was used to having owned 2x 2.2 Accords, was disappointing. In fact I stalled it a couple of times (then hunted around for the start button )
MPG was quite a lot higher, and the road noise was less from the narrower tyres.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2019, 23:19

The 1.5 and diesel are completely different beasts. If you're used to the 2.2 (which was very good and had to been 'rained in' during testing because it was faster than the DM Type R) then you might be disappointed with the new diesel. It's very good, don't get me wrong, but has been tuned to meet the latest public outcry against dirty diesels and the new testing criteria. If you still want 70mpg then go for the diesel but if you want cracking performance and 55mpg then go for the petrol. Plus production of diesels is being drastically reduced so will become like rocking horse poop before model run out. So if you do decide, order one soon.
Kremmen likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2019, 00:56

Go for the 1.6 Diesel auto, its fabulous. The gearbox is as smooth as silk, the economy is averaging 56mpg. My wife wanted Jazz and we went to the dealer to test drive a HRV, Civic and Jazz and test drove all three. I had no intention of changing my car but the drive in the Civic 1.6 auto sold it to me so we bought the 1.6 auto EX and jazz for the wife. My only negative comment are the headlights should be LED and not halogen and the sills catch the back of you legs when getting out. The lights- it must be cheaper for Honda to fit LED to all models rather than have two different sets. The 1.6 is good on acceleration (not Type R standard but did not expect it to be. My other car previously was a Volvo V60 D5. I do not regret swapping even thought I honestly never even thought about swapping my Volvo for a Civic.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2019, 01:18

Hello Megansbob.

You have expressed what a lot of people have said, as soon as they drive a Honda they realise how good they are.....its just getting people to get in them!! We benchmark a lot of different models in our market segment, and apart from the shocking build quality of some of them (including the German ones!) our models are as good as, if not better than most.
Your comment on the headlights is a simple one of cost. LED headlights are much more expensive and not just because of the unit itself but the extra wiring, and some models have to be made to a budget, hence halogen.
Farqui likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 10:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks everyone. So many choices. I decided to rule out the 1.0 and have now had chance to drive the others. My thoughts in the order I drove them:

1.6 diesel manual: As expected, performance not up to that of my 2.2 but i wasn't expecting it to be. I was actually quite impressed by what it did deliver. Torque from standstill was good though gear ranges seemed shorter than my current 2.2. I'm sure over time I could get used to it and displayed mpg was quite impressive though, of course, not up to Honda's claims. On the down side, I found it quite noisy especially on motorway and initially put this down to road noise.

1.6 diesel auto: Quite liked this though not the ergonomic side of the 'button' gear selector.

1.5 petrol: What a difference! Noticeably quieter and better performance. What I had initially thought to be road noise I now put down to combination of road noise and diesel- perhaps compatible frequencies accentuating? I don't know but certainly much smoother and performant

1.5 auto: Initially didn't like the CVT auto as much as that on the diesel which seemed more traditionally 'stepped' but over some miles warmed to it. Reported mpg, as expected, further down.

So favourite for me is the 1.5 auto which I reckon gives similar performance to my old 2.2. Although not the economy, the lower price of UL against diesel should largely mitigate and give comparable cost per mile. Now looking for best deal on one of these and will be saying goodbye to my old faithful 57 plate 2.2 EX- fantastic car if anyone interested...
Farqui likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 12:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboy View Post
1.5 petrol: What a difference! Noticeably quieter and better performance. What I had initially thought to be road noise I now put down to combination of road noise and diesel- perhaps compatible frequencies accentuating? I don't know but certainly much smoother and performant
Strange that. When I had a 1.6d loaner, I thought it was quieter than my 1.5t. I suspected the reduced road noise was due to the narrower, higher profile tyres. But it could just be to make.
Quote:
So favourite for me is the 1.5 auto which I reckon gives similar performance to my old 2.2.
A good choice IMHO
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th February 2019, 10:03

In my view I have never like diesel's - they're just noisier and less refined than a petrol engine. The only advantage they've had up until recent years is that German manufacturers starting pairing them with turbochargers across the board - but still they sound like a diesel.

I test drove the 1.0 petrol and although I was impressed at how it performed, it just wasn't quite enough - also I had been driving a 1.8 Petrol Civic (8G), so it did feel like a backward step, albeit small.

I then test drove the 1.5 petrol and was sold almost straight away. Very good performance - far superior to my old 1.8, quieter overall and in actual miles per gallon terms there's not much in it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 15:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

UPDATE:
I went for the 1.5 Prestige CVT and have owned for just three months. The car performs as I expected it to and I'm very happy with it. Performance is very similar to my old 2.2 and economy is coming in at just over 40 which is, if anything, a little better than I expected.

Unfortunately, I have had some issues especially with my dealer. The a/c didn't work so went in- they diagnosed lack of gas, refilled and ensured me they had checked for, and found, no leaks. The following morning, I noticed a dent on front offside which could have happened either at the dealership or one other place as the car hadn't been out of my sight at any other time. Assuming that, if it happened at the dealership, they would have owned up, I thought initially that it must have been at the other place. By the following day, I had ruled this out as, given the angle parked up to a wall, there was no way it could have been sustained there. Further, the a/c was now blowing warm air again. So, back to the dealership... This time they diagnosed a missing O ring which they said they would have to order on warranty. Regards the incident, I asked for the cctv which they agreed to provide. However, when I returned the following week to have the a/c job done they advised that, unfortunately, the cctv wasn't available for the time in question... Regardless, they agreed to repair so, in it went again, and they pulled the dent. However, apparently, their repair man was a 'dent' man and not a 'paint' man so the scuffs and scratches remained. Also, I noticed the light unit now contained condensation either as a result of the original incident or the subsequent dent removal. They agreed to replace the light and rectify the paint which has now been done. Responsibility was never admitted, nor any apology forthcoming, so not the best early impressions and I'm tied to them with a five year service package...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 17:20
Super Moderator

Not 100% certain, but I don't think you are tied to a specific dealer for the servicing deal.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 20:42
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
You're not - Bought in Cambridge, serviced in Romford

Just go with whoever you trust.
M8TJT likes this.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page