2018 Honda Civic 1.5 Prestige with CVT - Page 2 - Civinfo
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 5th March 2019, 11:08

Diesel's a minefield. I always saw it as dirtier but the emissions are generally lower. My brother, who drives diesels, states the larger particle size is less harmful, as the smaller particle size from petrol can more easily enter the bloodstream etc. No idea if there's any truth to that. Have always gone petrol myself. Edit: Can't find anything supporting that online, instead Diesel seems much worse. Petrol produces more carbon monoxide but that isn't an issue outdoors. Soot from diesel, and low lying heavy particles on the other hand are.

Honda never did diesel right? Like VW they're likely shifting to EV instead, which makes a lot more sense. Even quicker it seems, as they don't have the diesel legacy.

The new petrol engines in the 10th gen are really efficient aren't they? And they're tubro charged, so have more low end power than their previous petrol engines. So arguably eliminates the need for diesel.

So perhaps I should embrace the new engines. Honda classically working petrol engine magic instead of doing diesel perhaps.

Last edited by Shinoke; 5th March 2019 at 16:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 5th March 2019, 18:42
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Honda DO do diesels. The latest is a 116BHP 1.6l fitted to the Civic.
Thought I might miss the low down torque that I got from my 2.2 Accord when I swapped, to my 1.5t Civic, but I don't. Perhaps the higher BHP makes up for it.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th March 2019, 20:37
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
Thanks for this really great review, I would agree with everything, I just have a few differences because I have the Sport Plus. The ride, even in normal mode with the adaptive dampers is a tad too firm for my liking, and poor road surfaces do make themselves known with harshness transmitted through to the cabin. The Prestige is definitely a softer and more comfortable overall set up. It is also apparent that the exhaust system is actually tuned to be noisy and give you an exhaust note to listen to, which frankly I could do without, but I do love the look of the twin tail pipes.

I have sunroof issues too, but it's not the actual sunroof, it's the head lining. All round the opening of the sunroof area, the head lining is not properly stuck on, and it creaks and pops and clicks all the time. I have to prod, poke and squeeze all around the area in various places to silence it and it will be fine for a while and then it will start up again. I must say that in over 30 years of driving I've never had a car with noisy head lining! I also have an occasional rattle from deep within the dash which only happens at certain ambient temperatures and depending on what mode the aircon has gone into. My previous 1.0 SR had exactly the same rattle under the same conditions. I have the wind noise issue around the front door pillar under certain conditions, but my aircon doesn't whistle and I don't have any issues with squealing breaks that some owners have reported. My sat nav will frequently show me as driving in fields or even open water, but eventually it sorts itself out.

I would have loved leather trim and electric seats, even if they were an option, or at least different and more luxurious fabric on a car that is only one down from the top of the range. The interior is exactly the same as a basic S grade apart from leather steering wheel, gear selector and drilled pedals.

Love the CVT with the 1.5, it's a seriously good match, and nothing like CVTs of old. Having said that, the CVT doesn't work well with the 1.0 that I had before because it's set up differently and causes engine RPM to scream really high for a lot of the time accompanied with jerking and lurching at low speeds, not nice at all. The 1.5 is totally smooth and quiet.

I had the door protector strips fitted to mine and after 8 months they are already beginning to come off on the passenger side, so I'm having those replaced at the first service booked in next week.

Overall, I love the Civic as a product, just a few build quality issues here and there that do seem to be fairly widely reported, hopefully Honda will address those going forward.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th March 2019, 00:14
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Diesel V Petrol. At moment I have more concern over direct fuel injection carbon build up problems for those looking for longevity from their petrol engines. Which is why I'm looking (no laughing) at Toyota Corolla 2.0 petrol(2 x injectors per cylinder 1 x GDI 1 x port) if I don't get another Civic diesel. And thats a big if ........ no job anymore. Ill health retirement.
As for Honda dropping diesel, they've only just introduced Mk10 auto 9 speed. Might not be a option if or when a Mk11 Civic appears.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th March 2019, 05:52
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good point. The rumourmill says the 11G will be hybrid or electric. Will they do a diesel hybrid ?

I just can't see millions of charging points, IIRC mostly in lampposts, being viable so what some manufacturers are calling 'self charging hybrid' seems the best way forward.

Battery pack with a tiny lawnmower engine would do the trick.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th March 2019, 12:56
Supporter

Test drove the Toyota Corolla hybrid the other day nice car. Infotainment system is *****.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th March 2019, 15:02
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Test drove the Toyota Corolla hybrid the other day nice car. Infotainment system is *****.

I believe it's based/supplied by tomtom. You get only 3 years free before they charge £?? I'm hoping as you get used to something you get to like it more than you did when first started using. I'm slowly learning tricks to defeat my Satnav from taking me off motorways only to rejoin later. It will learn!!
But I liked how tomtom did things when I used a portable. No doubt this is different. Plus I'm getting really p£ssed off with the amount of times honda calls trying to get me out of my 'low value diesel' into a nice 'petrol'. I wonder when they sell a zero road tax Mk9 they use the same pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page