2018 Honda Civic 1.5 Prestige with CVT - Civinfo
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 26th February 2019, 16:32 Thread Starter

Lightbulb 2018 Honda Civic 1.5 Prestige with CVT

I traded in my 2011 Civic 1.8 EX GT Manual for this stunning road navigating machine after I was utterly sold by a test drive last summer. I flicked through the brochure, saw a few of the ‘2017 Civic’s’ around town and decided on exactly what I liked in terms of ‘options’.

After a month of normal use I have continued to thoroughly enjoy the poke of the engine and the overall smoothness and refinement of the ride quality. The CVT and turbocharger pair well with the engine to give you a thump of constant acceleration whenever you need, with no need for gear changes to get to where you want to. The 182PS from the engine is actually class leading as far as I can see from other manufacturers that offer 1.5 petrol engines paired with turbos. The seats are comfortable, even on long drives - the lumbar adjustment was definitely worth adjusting and was a marked improvement over my older Civic. The CVT lends itself to any situation I have driven in - if you're driving at low speeds it's great in the ever increasing number of 20MPH areas (which manual cars can be tricky in). When you're on the motorway it has plenty to give to reach a respectable speed quickly, and for over taking. The engine never sounds like it’s thrashed, though I do appreciate some find it ‘bizarre’ how it behaves compared to an automatic or manual transmission. I find it makes perfect sense that when you want revs and acceleration – the engine just gives you as much as it can until it finds a happy balance with the CVT and you settle at your desired speed.

The Honda Sensing system I have found very useful and not at all gimmicky. The speed limiter is fantastic. I like the fact that it remembers what I last set it to, so when I'm in a 30MPH zone I just activate it and concentrate on the driving, and what's around me. Not having to fret about dipping over the speed limit and getting caught by a camera, which in modern driving terms, is what one is dogged by particularly when navigating around towns and schools – you need to have as much attention on the road as possible, not worrying about if you’ve dipped over the speed limit.

The AAC (Adaptive Cruise Control) is also excellent and very useful on motorway drives, it does use the brakes rather than any engine braking to slow down, which is surely going to cause premature wear of brake discs and pads, but I’m sure Honda don’t mind! The LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) is also useful, but I can really only see it as a collision avoidance measure, should you be distracted or nod off behind the wheel! It doesn’t feel natural keeping it on all of the time as it constantly makes adjustments which feels odd and takes you away from the enjoyment of the ride.

I, like some others have mentioned 'miss' a few things that my 8G had - the vent in the glovebox which was perfect for keeping things chilled in the summer is no longer. The magic seats are no more, though I do understand why they were removed. The ride quality speaks volumes on this decision. The door and boot sills do seem to 'trap' a lot of water when it's been raining and it's a lot of work drying these areas when washing the car. The sun roof blind is now a 'manual' affair, rather than the electronic gliding blind that it replaces - I suspect actually Honda knew that there were issues with this 'sticking' (as mine did) and kept it simple. I do also feel somewhat misled by the MPG figures as with a 1.5 (down from a 1.8) I would expect the efficiency to be greater and I am finding literally an extra 1-2 miles per gallon - I understand they vary in real world situations, but still.

The 'niggles' that the 10G Civic seems to have attracted, for what I presume is only some of us, I seem to be suffering with so many of. The overall driving experience of this car is absolutely fantastic and I thoroughly enjoy driving it most of the time. But the niggles at the moment really have made me think about Honda differently. The lack of a 'volume control knob' I don't consider an issue at all, but that's personal to each individual. I do consider that the fan speed of the Climate control system should have a physical button of some sort to control it as the touch screen requires attention to adjust it which is not safe to do most of the time whilst driving. I suppose the test of time will prove the reliability aspect of their reputation. The quality control issues, I hope, will be resolvable based on other peoples experiences on these forums. Some days I actually feel pretty cheesed off that I have the top of the range Civic yet I feel let down and annoyed by the glitches that are so difficult to ignore.

Perhaps I've been lucky with my 7G & 8G Civics as honestly, they were virtually flawless - No issues whatsoever with my 7G and just a sticky roof blind in my 8G in the winter months.

To date the niggles that I share with others are:

Roof rattle – Almost always rattling, though with the sun roof open far less (no good if it’s raining).

Aircon whistle – Particularly noticeable at low revs/speeds. Turning the Aircon off (but leaving the fans on) confirms it is indeed the aircon in my case.

A-pillar wind noise – On a windy day, or anything above 40MPH there is excessive noise coming from here.

Navigation system – Inaccurate position

So, overall a pleasurable driving experience with striking looks and styling marred by some quality problems that really should have been ironed out prior to production. Depending on how helpful Honda are, and if indeed the niggles can or will be resolved will definitely either keep me loyal to them or make me think again in the future.

Last edited by stoo; 26th February 2019 at 19:58.
Thanks to stoo from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 26th February 2019, 20:03

Car: 2019 Honda Prestige CVT
Great review!

Like you, I have had my Prestige for almost a month - same flavour as yours with the CVT.

I must be very lucky as I am not experiencing any of the niggles you refer to regarding air con whistling, noise from drag around the A-pillar, roof rattles or mis-located reference on the satnav.

The two gripes I do have is the lack of a dipping passenger wing mirror when the car is in reverse. That was a very nice feature I had on a couple of 8th gen Accords and 4th Gen CRVs. Absolutely stumped as to why Honda didnt fit that.

The second gripe is the lack of power seats. I mean, for crying out loud - this is a car nudging the 30k mark (thank the heavens I didnt pay anywhere near that!). Electric seats should be standard.

Other than that, I have not regretted getting this car. It has awesome technology included as standard, the ride is supple and shifts like a bullet when the need arises. It truly is one of the best engineered cars out there today and you can see why the CTR X is so loved because its based off this platform - a great, great machine!

Besotted with mine!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 00:58

Glad to hear you like it. 3 of the 4 'niggles' you list have a fix. There is direction from us (factory) on how to fix the sunroof rattle. Air Con whistle will be fixed under a recall notice. And the A post wind noise is you door sash being too far outboard to the SPO (Side Panel Outer) at the 12T position (top of the wind screen). Dealer can adjust this inboard and wind noise will go. As to your sat nav position, never had or seen that problem so bother your dealer about it and see what they say.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 04:42
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,423 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Those side by side 8G and 10G does show how big the Civic has now become.

The SatNav position has been mentioned here quite a few times.

The issue seems to be that whilst your driving down a road the 'arrow' has you driving in a field some considerable yards off the road. Then it will suddenly 'snap' into correct position.

It does seem random though, I know @M8TJT can give full details as he has this issue.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Those side by side 8G and 10G does show how big the Civic has now become.

Arguably for the UK market, it has replaced the Accord, which as we know is no longer available here.

Real shame that Honda in the UK do not offer the likes of the Accord/Passport/Ridgeline/Pilot and other models.

But I guess thats another topic/discussion.

For the here and now, the Civic Prestige is definitely right up there as one of the all time great Honda's for me.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 08:39
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks70 View Post
Air Con whistle will be fixed under a recall notice.
Had mine done and it is now a non-whistling 10G, but still waiting for the new grille that is reputed to fix the front proximity sensors.
Quote:
As to your sat nav position, never had or seen that problem
If you have not heard the complaints about it, you must pay more attention as there are a number of posts both here and other forums.
Quote:
so bother your dealer about it and see what they say.
When I contacted both my dealer (pretty frequently) and Honda CS directly about it, they said that 'there is a map update coming out shortly' (last year). Needless to say the map update didn't fix it, not that I expected it to as it seems to me that it needs either a hardware change or a satnav SYSTEM (not map) software update. Neither my Garmin stand alone satnav that I have in the Civic, or the DVD system on my previous 2 Accords did this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 08:53
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
From the posts I've read and the descriptions, it seems to me that the SatNav GPS sensor is suffering from some temporary electronic interference.

Why would you be driving through an adjacent field then all of a sudden it corrects itself.
The sensor, I've read, is in the same place as previous Civics, so what else has been put close by in the 10G that kicks in on startup and then turns off after a while ?

I've also read similar stories with standalone SatNav's where they couldn't get a lock or showed the wrong location, then when moved a few inches along the windscreen, they do.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 15:38

How do you find the interior styling?

I test drove a 2009 EX GT yesterday and was quite impressed by the interior. Expected it perhaps to seem more dated and plasticky.
Has aged very well I think.

The retro futuristic design helps - and the curved / circular design language.

The 10G interior from photos and videos makes me think of a Lamborghini, excessively square and angular.
Looks really old fashioned to me and a step back.

Also externally there's even more plastics and faux stuff no?

Very different machines I guess. The left looks like a beast, an angular Accord. The right looks elegant and refined.

But yeah when I drove the 8G I hit what was hardly a pothole coming up to a roundabout and the whole car shook and rattled noisily. So I see what people mean now when they talk about the crashy ride. Seems extreme.

So I see why the magic seats were ditched for the proper independent suspension.

But the seats don't even fold flat.

But yeah, more like an Accord than a Civic now, or like an old Civic I guess, like the 6th gen.

Personally I'd prefer if they did this with an Accord and had that in the UK, and keep a smaller, very practical hatchback civic like the previous 3 generations.

What do you like so much? Just the ride, composure, and engine performance?

Also, I can edit if this is too off topic or you don't want this here - but this wouldn't happen to be your 8th gen would it?
https://www.brindley.co.uk/honda/use...id-1642243475/

Am looking to get an 8th gen but really didn't want to spend more than 6k. So was going to see if they would reduce the price.

Would love to get your input. The trim seems to be conveniently body coloured for this grey model (I'm guessing like all EX GTs it doesn't have body coloured trim, but the grey matches, so effectively it is, or pretty close). Maybe I'll start a thread and ask in there.

Anyway, back on topic, very nice. I'm guessing it's Honda Approved so you have the remaining 4 years of the 6 year warranty I think? So hopefully they'll fix all the niggles for you under that. Enjoy
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 16:01
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoke View Post
Personally I'd prefer if they did this with an Accord and had that in the UK, and keep a smaller, very practical hatchback civic like the previous 3 generations.
My thoughts as well.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 27th February 2019, 17:59
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Subjective of course, but i'm confident in saying our '09 exgt auto does not shake and rattle at the first pothole it encounters. Hardly a magic carpet ride over a badly maintained stretch of tarmac, but deals well enough given its relatively simple rear suspension.

Replacement front and rear suspension last year, plus rainsport 3's have refreshed the ride quality on our car

(amazed, not in a good way, at the 7k asking price of your example car)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 09:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hopefully Honda will indeed recognise and find a solution to the wandering navigation system. It does seem to me possibly a hardware/design issue if standalone sat nav devices have had similar issues. I suppose in theory a software fix could be applied to reduce the impact of the hardware or design shortfalls. We shall see.

Shinoke - I find the interior styling very good, but yes different. It's no more plasticky than the 8G and the digital speedo and heads up display is fantastic, but I did always think the ultra driver-centric layout (on top of the iconic design of the exterior) of the 8G was truly ground breaking. I've never known any interior design to have the speedo just below the bottom of the windscreen - perfect for minimal eye movement to keep an eye on your speed, together with the sat nav screen pointing toward the driver, and again pretty close to the bottom of the windscreen. Virtually every manufacturer has the sat nav in the middle of the dash - which is pretty distracting when driving to rely on too much (I'm not keen on voice instructions enabled). I know the HUD displays the next direction you need to take (though only with the Honda Navigation, and not Apple CarPlay), but still the screen could face the driver a tad more at the very least I feel.

My main reasons for replacing the 8G was that I wanted to ditch the manual gearbox in general and was wowed by the performance of Honda's CVT compared to an automatic transmission. Secondly, the ride quality was on reflection pretty rough with the 8G. You do feel quite a lot of any imperfection in the road surface a great deal - perhaps I didn't notice this in the beginning as was a tad younger, and I was in awe of the design and uniqueness of it all. A 10G is like floating on a calm river by comparison - seriously it's silky on all road surfaces! Thirdly the acceleration is a massive upgrade - not in terms of being a boy racer - but when you need to accelerate or over take you can very quickly do so - the 8G was pretty sluggish accelerating above 40MPH.
Shinoke likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 14:52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoo View Post
Hopefully Honda will indeed recognise and find a solution to the wandering navigation system. It does seem to me possibly a hardware/design issue if standalone sat nav devices have had similar issues.
Stand alone satnavs (I have had a few Garmins) only have the wandering problem if you drive off before you get a sat lock.
The satnav system locks on a lot quicker if the device is not moving. It works by triangulating the distance form several sats, which are in known positions, to the device. If the device is moving, this adds yet another unknown into the calculation which then takes longer.

However, this is not the problem with the Honda satnav as it can wander off road long after obtaining a solid lock and the car has a clear view of the sky.
When I have 'gone off piste' on the car satnav, my Garmin has been following the road no problem.
Kremmen likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 28th February 2019, 15:24

Car: Civic Sport 1.5Ltr Turbo
My 1.5ltr Sport was new in June 2018 and the Satnav has always worked fine with no issues.

I always set my destination / address, press GO and let it load the route before moving off.

Last edited by Holland1954*; 28th February 2019 at 15:26.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoo View Post
Shinoke - I find the interior styling very good, but yes different. It's no more plasticky than the 8G and the digital speedo and heads up display is fantastic, but I did always think the ultra driver-centric layout (on top of the iconic design of the exterior) of the 8G was truly ground breaking. I've never known any interior design to have the speedo just below the bottom of the windscreen - perfect for minimal eye movement to keep an eye on your speed, together with the sat nav screen pointing toward the driver, and again pretty close to the bottom of the windscreen. Virtually every manufacturer has the sat nav in the middle of the dash - which is pretty distracting when driving to rely on too much (I'm not keen on voice instructions enabled). I know the HUD displays the next direction you need to take (though only with the Honda Navigation, and not Apple CarPlay), but still the screen could face the driver a tad more at the very least I feel.
Cheers.

Yeah I think the 8th gen dash is better than the 9th actually - although only seen pictures of the 9th.

Seems they moved further away from the driver centric design of the 8th gen for each next generation.

The rev counter etc looks great. It's just some plastic and lights I guess, but at first I thought it was a 3d digital display. Very cleverly done.

I've posted a thread so if you want to comment on your 8th gen experience that'd be awesome:
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/genera...e-8th-gen.html

Mostly wondering about music now - as a Double DIN can't be added to the EX GT because of the sat nav I understand.

So thinking an EX may be a better idea.

I guess that loses telephony control though.

Your old 8th gen looks great. Seems the best EX GT variant you can get. Was the trim body coloured? I'm guessing it's just the same grey but conveniently matches? Does make it look a lot better than other EX GT colours.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st March 2019, 23:40

I've had five different 10G's and never had a problem. Plus the concern is not the fault of Honda, never was, but the supplier of the head unit. Honda can not make any changes to the unit, has to come from supplier who is KD (Japan).
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2019, 05:32
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
I have had the Alpine unit across 3 Civics without major issue.

Since 2015 when it was changed to a cheaper Android unit these pages have been full of complaints and problems.

As I've posted many times, it was the change to the Android unit that stopped me buying a new Civic in 2016 as at that time we were still seeing many reports of the unit randomly rebooting, losing all user data.

Just the thing you needed when on a motorway - losing your navigation destination and all your radio stations.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2019, 23:52

Yeah from what I've read the 2014 model seems the best.

2014 loses the spare wheel and jack I believe, but has improved suspension etc.

2015 loses the subwoofer, and has cheaper seat materials etc. I think.
And the cheaper Android head unit.
Also the glove box is no longer cloth lined I think.
So they cheaped out

But that's a good thing in a way, as many won't know about that and assume the newer ones are better.

So can get a good value 2014 model used

You could just upgrade the head unit anyway though. So much easier for the 9th gen!

As for the 10th gen, other than the transformer looks, unnecessary extra plastic bits, more square design, lack of magic seats, or even seats that fold fully flat (shocking for a Honda), I'm a bit on an engine noob but the mention of CVT, turbos, and it not being naturally aspirated feels a bit sad. I guess you get more power and fuel efficiency, just changing times I guess.

I'm sure it feels more composed, mature and smooth etc. But it's as if Honda abandoned what made them unique and decided they had to do what the Germans and Americans are doing, while at the same time going overboard with the superficial external plastics (which some non Honda drivers unfairly criticise the earlier gens for)

Apologies if that comes across as negative. Maybe I'll change my mind if I drive one.

More excited by the E prototype to be honest, which has a super clean design, the total opposite of the transformer like 10th gen.

Last edited by Shinoke; 4th March 2019 at 11:02.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 4th March 2019, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoke View Post
Apologies if that comes across as negative. Maybe I'll change my mind if I drive one.
I take it from this statement that you havent driven a 10G Civic?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but your critique would have more credence if you have/had driven one. I dont know if you have.

As for Honda abandoning things and doing what German/US automakers are doing is seriously incorrect. What about the E-Prototype? Isnt that the same? Following other car makers into the pointless EV market?

Times change - diesel was once a darling - Honda embraced it. Now its not, Honda have ditched it. Its called moving with the times.

The 10G is much the same - an evolution/revolution to what customers demand - sure the looks are divisive, but the build quality, performance, handling and value is something that people want.

If you havent, I suggest you take a seriously long test drive in a 1.5 Prestige.
Nowell and M8TJT like this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 4th March 2019, 23:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FencePlank43 View Post
Times change - diesel was once a darling - Honda embraced it. Now its not, Honda have ditched it.
I don't think so. They have just started marketing a 1.6 diesel in 10G saloon format.
It was all Gordon Brown/ Teflon Tony's fault. So keen on reducing CO2 at all costs and 'we don't care about the poisonous nitrous oxides or particulate emissions'. So keen on trying to achieve the impossible CO2 targets that they set themselves and bo11ox to the really harmful stuff.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 5th March 2019, 04:00

But for the more popular models like the 10G Hatch, diesel isnt offered. Nor for the CRV. Not sure if the Jazz in any flavour/gen has had diesel either.

Wouldnt be surprised to see it dropped from the HRV too.

Very true about GB/TB wanting to reduce CO2 etc....

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page