A little review 1.5 Sport - Civinfo
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Andy0306

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st August 2019, 22:12 Thread Starter

A little review 1.5 Sport

This is actually my first post so be a little gentle

I picked the car up on the 18th July, which is a company car. In the two weeks of use, I've clocked up just under 2k miles, so this is a short ownership review.

The good stuff.
The 1.5 engine is great fun, I didn't drive the 1.0 so can't compare, but glad I went for the 1.5.

The gearbox feels smooth and the gear stick is easy to work.

The look of the car is sporty without being OTT in a type R way.

The twin exhaust adds an extra sporty touch to the car.

MPG seems decent, the car is claiming 50mpg, but in my experience these usually read about 10% over.

Steering and suspension are good, the car rides the potholed roads we enjoy in the UK quite well.

Generous boot space for a car of this size. I carry a fair amount around with me, so works well for my needs.

I'm sure there's more good stuff, so will add as I think of/remember them

The not so good.
The sat nav is not great. I was surprised that they use the TMC system for traffic monitoring. The system is old school and not good enough to keep up to date with most traffic. OK, I knew about this before ordering, but gave it a try before giving up and using google/waze for sat nav purposes.

The voice system for the sat nav is strange. In most other cars I've driven the radio volume lowers when the sat nav speaks. In the Civic I have to have the sat nav volume up load enough to be heard over the radio. If your on the phone, the sat nav interrupts (very loudly) during the conversation (not with Android Auto, only the Garmin).

The rain sensors leave a lot to be desired. They seem to start off ok when it rains, but then go crazy. In heavy rain they are slow and with only a few spots, they go full speed. I would have thought a company like Honda would have a better system than this.

The arm rest on the door is not well padded. I tend to drive with my elbow resting on it on a long drive. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. Likewise, where my left knee rests against the centre console the plastic is hard and I end up moving into different places to stop the rubbing.

The annoying.
There's a squeaky vibration from the roof lining, right above my right ear. Not a big issue with the music playing, but bloody annoying during quieter periods.

The radio bugged out on me today. I used the Garmin sat nav and the voice was working, but nothing else. Couldn't get any sound out of it and couldn't change the source. It worked fine after restarting, but might be a trip to the dealer if it keeps happening.

Overall the car is great, it has a few niggles, but what car hasn't. I'll be doing high miles in it, so we'll see how it goes in the long term.
stoo, M8TJT and Das like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 00:11
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Honda do seem to always be a few years behind everyone else in a lot of areas. Infotainment always seems to get poor write ups when you read reviews, youd think a company in Japan would have access to the best Tech on offer.
The headlining rattle is a known issue, plenty report the same. Have you found the whistle from the AC yet?
Erratic auto wipers are the same on my Gen8, so I just use them manually.
Is your the normal or Sport Plus version?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 20:30

Car: 1.5 Sport+ Polished Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0306 View Post
This is actually my first post so be a little gentle

The not so good.

The voice system for the sat nav is strange. In most other cars I've driven the radio volume lowers when the sat nav speaks. In the Civic I have to have the sat nav volume up load enough to be heard over the radio.

The arm rest on the door is not well padded. I tend to drive with my elbow resting on it on a long drive. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. Likewise, where my left knee rests against the centre console the plastic is hard and I end up moving into different places to stop the rubbing.
The sat nav voice volume/radio can be adjusted in the settings. Can't remember exactly where, i found by accident as the sat nav voice was too low and kept missing commands if i had the radio on. Found the setting by messing about. Don't think its in the sat nav settings though

Totally agree with you re door arm rest (and centre consul) and knee rub. Should have better support and a pad for the knee like the 8G.

Another niggle i have is the window buttons are for me, set in the wrong position. I regularly open the back windows by accident.

Seven months in, 7 k miles, love the car but still miss my 8G.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 20:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Honda do seem to always be a few years behind everyone else in a lot of areas. Infotainment always seems to get poor write ups when you read reviews, youd think a company in Japan would have access to the best Tech on offer.
The headlining rattle is a known issue, plenty report the same. Have you found the whistle from the AC yet?
Erratic auto wipers are the same on my Gen8, so I just use them manually.
Is your the normal or Sport Plus version?
Mine is just the normal sport (cheaper company car tax )

Has anyone found a cure for the headlining issue? Not sure how much more my roof can take of me punching it I thought the rattle was from the sunroof, unless there are two known issues?

The AC seems fine, I think being a 2019 model they may have fitted the upgraded bit that stops the whine.

It is a shame about the infotainment system, it could be so much better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 21:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearstar View Post
The sat nav voice volume/radio can be adjusted in the settings. Can't remember exactly where, i found by accident as the sat nav voice was too low and kept missing commands if i had the radio on. Found the setting by messing about. Don't think its in the sat nav settings though

Totally agree with you re door arm rest (and centre consul) and knee rub. Should have better support and a pad for the knee like the 8G.

Another niggle i have is the window buttons are for me, set in the wrong position. I regularly open the back windows by accident.

Seven months in, 7 k miles, love the car but still miss my 8G.
I missed this post as it was posted almost the same time as my last post.
The satnav volume is easily adjusted, just wait for her to speak and hit the volume up or down (wonder if this would work with the wife )
My problem with the volume is that it competes with the radio or whatever source you have on.

Not had an issue with the window switches, but have caught the hazzard lights button a few times when adjusting the vents.

On another note, my headlining above the door is now hanging down after me pulling down it in anger
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 10:37

Garage
Nice balanced review, and I agree with you on so many points. As you can see from my review (also on this forum) this is a car to love, and to niggle you at the same time.

Overall it's an excellent car in the most important aspects - driving. The arm rest is firm, and I can see how the centre console could 'get in the way' for certain seating positions - I have my seat quite far back, but upright and find that very comfortable over longer journeys.

Just use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for sat nav - the only thing you'll lose is the directions in the drivers display panel.

As so very many have mentioned there are roof and general trim noises found the 10G Civic. Some can be resolved by yourself or your Honda dealer - some you will likely just have to live with.

Enjoy your Civic, I still don't think there's a car that matches it on it's strong points.
Thanks to stoo from:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 20:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks, I'll take a look at your review

Using AA with Google, the directions show in the drivers display fine. If I use Waze, the directions work apart from roundabouts.

I've also had issues with the maps freezing (both Google and Waze). The map screen freezes but the voice continues to give directions. I have to unplug the cable, wait for an 'Android Auto has stopped working' message then plug it back in. Works fine after that, so no idea what is causing it. It's happened with two different phones and cables, so assume it's the head unit.

I've got another little niggle, which I'm trying to see if I can work around. My car is a company car, so need to connect my work phone via Bluetooth for calls. Downside to my work phone is they only give us limited data, so I thought I'd use my own phone for AA, as I have lots of data. Problem is, connect my phone to the cable and it tells me it will disconnect my work phones Bluetooth connection. Not sure how to get around this, but will keep looking.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2019, 17:14

Garage
It clearly is a restriction of the CarPlay functionality then in terms of directions being displayed in the drivers information panel. Maybe I'll get an Android phone... Maybe not - each to their own.

I'm pretty sure in the Civic and most other manufacturers ICE units they only permit a single phone connection at a time - so if you use AA or CarPlay (by cable) it disconnects the Bluetooth connection to any phones.

I know Suzuki's and Audi's do this, unless there's a very well hidden menu somewhere?

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page