8Likes
  • 8 Post By ivanilas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th September 2019, 12:03 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2019 Civic Sport Plus, White
Civic 10th Sport Plus Review vs 8th Type S

Hi folks!
Last week I finally got my brand new Honda Civic Sport Plus! So, I took my family and went a trip around 4 hours to destination and 5 hours back home.
Overall I'm really impressed by the car! I'm convinced that I really did the perfect purchase.
I've already driven around 1300Km and this is my quick review in comparison to my old 8th gen Type S.

The disadvantages
Let me start with the disadvantages of the 10th civic.
1. I'm missing the volume knob. Yes I know it's written everywhere... +1 then
2. The air condition is weak. On my old Type S I usually set the climate to 24 degrees Celsius in Summer. In the new one I had to set it to 21 degrees Celsius to have the same effect. I'm not sure if the air condition is weaker in the new one, or it was because I was using the ECON mode. I hope it's the latter.
3. The trip knob. That looks so cheap and so 90s. I really can't understand why it's not on the steering wheel or at least on a better position and more modern.
4. The audio system. Honda promotes it as premium, but it's no premium at all. Just a simple basic audio system with many speakers.
5. Low resolution parking camera. Especially when it's dark, it looks like an old VHS from the 90s.
6. ACC braking. Sometimes the ACC brakes hard in order to compensate with the speed of the car in front. I would expect to have an easy gradual braking while approaching instead of a hard one.
7. Hard throttle. The throttle is hard when stepping on the gas all the way down. I would prefer it to be lighter, as it is in the old Type S.
8. Touch screen response. I compare it with my wife's Hyundai i10 and I can tell that what Honda provides has a slow response.
9. The sound of the engine. Personally, I like the sound of the 8th civic more. It's roaring more, especially after 4K when VTEC kicks in. It's more unique and authentic. The 10th one has a more regular sound, difficult to distinguish from the sound of a Golf.

The advantages
And here are the advantages of the 10th civic over the older one!
1. 182hp. Power power and more power! Whenever I want it, it's there waiting for my signal!
2. The overall driving experience. It just feels great to drive this car. I can't explain it. One has to try it out.
3. Consumption. I drove for 400Km with 130Km/h (with ACC). The consumption was 6.5lt/Km! On the way back home, again 400Km but with speed 140Km/h (with ACC). The consumption raised to 6.7lt/Km. That's really amazing! Great job Honda! I could never never never never get those numbers on my old type S.
4. ACC + LKAS. Driving on the highway with ACC on and LKAS was a huge step to the future. At the beginning I got scared. But I got used to it pretty quickly. By having both systems on makes the cruising so easy and relaxing. It was the first time that I drove 400Km non-stop and didn't get tired at all. I haven't tried same systems on other cars yet, so I can't compare. But in any case, I'm impressed. I loved it.
5. The suspension. The new civic is more polite. The suspension is softer, you don't feel all the bumps of the road on your back but still the car feels more stable on the curves than the previous one.
6. Adaptive suspension. It makes the suspension a bit stiffer, not too much, but it definitely makes it more fun when you want it
7. The brakes. I haven't tried to hit the brakes all the way down, but on a regular usage it feels like the new civic has better brakes than the old one
8. Luxury. It definitely has a more luxury effect than the previous one.
9. Gear box. Like the previous civic, the new one has a fantastic gear box. I find myself changing gears even if it's not needed, just because I like playing with the stick.
10. Comfortable on cruising. It's quiet. Easy to drive. Soft. I really enjoyed our trip on the highway. No noise, no bumps - just driving.
11. Rigid body. Although I've not pushed it to the limits yet, one has the feeling that this car has a rigid body that stays firm on the road. It gives you an extra layer of confidence.
12. Moonroof. Yeah! I would expect it to open more far behind and let more air get in, but still the feeling is great.
13. The trunk. It's big! Although I'm missing the area under the back seets of the 8th civic, still the 10th has more space for luggage.

Summary
I really love this car. It's so great to drive, even if you're just cruising or pushing to the limits. When cruising, it's easy, relaxing, quiet, economic and fast. When pushing to the limits, the body feels rigid, the steering is precise, the gear box is quick and the engine... well the engine has a lot of power to give you! I'm really really happy that I bought it. But on the other hand, it makes me sad that I have to give my good old 8th away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190904_113821_2.jpg (121.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190904_113841_2.jpg (94.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190904_113859.jpg (99.6 KB, 13 views)
skam, panayiotis, panosm and 5 others like this.

Last edited by ivanilas; 12th September 2019 at 12:10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th September 2019, 17:10

Car: 2018 1.5T CVT Prestige
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanilas View Post
The disadvantages
2. The air condition is weak. On my old Type S I usually set the climate to 24 degrees Celsius in Summer. In the new one I had to set it to 21 degrees Celsius to have the same effect. I'm not sure if the air condition is weaker in the new one, or it was because I was using the ECON mode. I hope it's the latter.

8. Touch screen response. I compare it with my wife's Hyundai i10 and I can tell that what Honda provides has a slow response.
The air conditioning on my 10G is definitely not weaker than my 8G. My 8G I don't think ever really reached anything lower than 24 in the summer and it was always on maximum fan speed - which was LOUD too.

The 10G has a much more effective cooler and overall much lower pitched blowing sound.

Econ mode will definitely have an effect on this, it cuts back on some energy/fuel use - the air conditioner being one of things it scales back - try without and you'll likely get more desirable results.

I completely agree on the touch screen, there's a second or two delay when you press anything! Try pressing the climate button with CarPlay in use- I've had to wait 5 seconds for this to appear on occasion - poor, but it is 'functional'.

Glad you are enjoying it though, it is a great car overall.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 13th September 2019, 22:04
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanilas View Post
Hi folks!
Last week I finally got my brand new Honda Civic Sport Plus! So, I took my family and went a trip around 4 hours to destination and 5 hours back home.
Overall I'm really impressed by the car! I'm convinced that I really did the perfect purchase.
I've already driven around 1300Km and this is my quick review in comparison to my old 8th gen Type S.

The disadvantages
Let me start with the disadvantages of the 10th civic.
1. I'm missing the volume knob. Yes I know it's written everywhere... +1 then - Use the one on the sterring wheel
2. The air condition is weak. On my old Type S I usually set the climate to 24 degrees Celsius in Summer. In the new one I had to set it to 21 degrees Celsius to have the same effect. I'm not sure if the air condition is weaker in the new one, or it was because I was using the ECON mode. I hope it's the latter. - Econ will turn A/C on and off when needed, turn off ECON mode for A/C always on - Also some cars have come from the factory with low gas, if it persists and isn't cold enough, for example, turn it down to low, it should be freezing, if it's not, you need to return it for a re-gas
3. The trip knob. That looks so cheap and so 90s. I really can't understand why it's not on the steering wheel or at least on a better position and more modern. It's functional and works.
4. The audio system. Honda promotes it as premium, but it's no premium at all. Just a simple basic audio system with many speakers. The system sounds good, but I would agree it's an aged android unit with very little processor power, used as a Car Play / Android Auto system it's perfect and sounds great (I've done some installs previously and I'm happy with the stock sound from the speakers)
5. Low resolution parking camera. Especially when it's dark, it looks like an old VHS from the 90s. Agree, it's low res compared to VW Group cars, a shame, but it works
6. ACC braking. Sometimes the ACC brakes hard in order to compensate with the speed of the car in front. I would expect to have an easy gradual braking while approaching instead of a hard one. Try amending the distance for the ACC and see if how you go, it's designed to slow you down and not crash, used in the correct circumstance it works fine, play with it.
7. Hard throttle. The throttle is hard when stepping on the gas all the way down. I would prefer it to be lighter, as it is in the old Type S. Power delivery will be different, it's a turbo, where as your S wasn't so can't really compare engines.
8. Touch screen response. I compare it with my wife's Hyundai i10 and I can tell that what Honda provides has a slow response. You can amend this in the settings to make it more resposive.
9. The sound of the engine. Personally, I like the sound of the 8th civic more. It's roaring more, especially after 4K when VTEC kicks in. It's more unique and authentic. The 10th one has a more regular sound, difficult to distinguish from the sound of a Golf.

The advantages
And here are the advantages of the 10th civic over the older one!
1. 182hp. Power power and more power! Whenever I want it, it's there waiting for my signal!
2. The overall driving experience. It just feels great to drive this car. I can't explain it. One has to try it out.
3. Consumption. I drove for 400Km with 130Km/h (with ACC). The consumption was 6.5lt/Km! On the way back home, again 400Km but with speed 140Km/h (with ACC). The consumption raised to 6.7lt/Km. That's really amazing! Great job Honda! I could never never never never get those numbers on my old type S.
4. ACC + LKAS. Driving on the highway with ACC on and LKAS was a huge step to the future. At the beginning I got scared. But I got used to it pretty quickly. By having both systems on makes the cruising so easy and relaxing. It was the first time that I drove 400Km non-stop and didn't get tired at all. I haven't tried same systems on other cars yet, so I can't compare. But in any case, I'm impressed. I loved it.
5. The suspension. The new civic is more polite. The suspension is softer, you don't feel all the bumps of the road on your back but still the car feels more stable on the curves than the previous one.
6. Adaptive suspension. It makes the suspension a bit stiffer, not too much, but it definitely makes it more fun when you want it
7. The brakes. I haven't tried to hit the brakes all the way down, but on a regular usage it feels like the new civic has better brakes than the old one
8. Luxury. It definitely has a more luxury effect than the previous one.
9. Gear box. Like the previous civic, the new one has a fantastic gear box. I find myself changing gears even if it's not needed, just because I like playing with the stick.
10. Comfortable on cruising. It's quiet. Easy to drive. Soft. I really enjoyed our trip on the highway. No noise, no bumps - just driving.
11. Rigid body. Although I've not pushed it to the limits yet, one has the feeling that this car has a rigid body that stays firm on the road. It gives you an extra layer of confidence.
12. Moonroof. Yeah! I would expect it to open more far behind and let more air get in, but still the feeling is great.
13. The trunk. It's big! Although I'm missing the area under the back seets of the 8th civic, still the 10th has more space for luggage.

Summary
I really love this car. It's so great to drive, even if you're just cruising or pushing to the limits. When cruising, it's easy, relaxing, quiet, economic and fast. When pushing to the limits, the body feels rigid, the steering is precise, the gear box is quick and the engine... well the engine has a lot of power to give you! I'm really really happy that I bought it. But on the other hand, it makes me sad that I have to give my good old 8th away.

please see my replies in line with the quote..

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 13th September 2019, 22:52 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2019 Civic Sport Plus, White
Hi darrenjuggins, here are my replies in green:

1. I'm missing the volume knob. Yes I know it's written everywhere... +1 then - Use the one on the sterring wheel
I do, but still I'm missing the volume knob.

turn it down to low, it should be freezing, if it's not, you need to return it for a re-gas
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out.

3. The trip knob. ... It's functional and works.
I'm not saying it doesn't work.... it just looks very old fashioned. A button on the steering wheel, like the one in the 8th gen, looks better and is easier to use while driving.

it's perfect and sounds great
That's personal taste of course, but I've heard better sound on German cars

7. Hard throttle. The throttle is hard when stepping on the gas all the way down. I would prefer it to be lighter, as it is in the old Type S. Power delivery will be different, it's a turbo, where as your S wasn't so can't really compare engines.
I was talking about the pedal. It has a resistance while pressing it (even if the engine is off). That has nothing to do with the turbo. It's just the pedal that has a rough resistance.

8. Touch screen response. I compare it with my wife's Hyundai i10 and I can tell that what Honda provides has a slow response. You can amend this in the settings to make it more resposive.
I can set the sensitivity, but not the responsiveness. The responsiveness is how quickly the system recognizes and reacts on a key press.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > User Reviews (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page