post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 26th March 2014, 11:27 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
Talking New Civic Tourer (21/03/2014)

Hey chaps,

Since 08/2008 we own a 1.4 i-DSi Civic hatch. The looks were futuristic and never seen on any other vehicule. The handling was really good and sporty. I can only think of 2 downsides on this car. It's poor paint quality and the cheap and squeeky plastics used in the interior.

In January 2012 I started working at another place. I'm now a .NET Consultant, with being a consultant mostly comes the benefit of a company car. I started with a car that was available on the parking lot, which was a Peugeot 308 SW. I can be short on that one... The only positive thing this heap of metal had, was space. Excitement, comfort and road handling were simply not present.

Luckily the Peugeot was at the end of it's contract this year in march. So I got to choose a new car. Normally we'd had to choose between VW-group (Golf, Octavia, A3) or BMW (1-series). All of those cars could not turn me on in any way (apart from the 1-series, but it's small for a household with 2 kiddo's). After a lot of lobbying I was able to convince my boss to let my Honda dealer make an offer for a Honda Civic Tourer, which was not even being produced at that moment.
After my boss noticed this car was really complete, sat nav, aircon, low mpg, a lot of space, ... for it's price, he would let me order it. It's the 1.6 i-DTEC Sport (don't know what abbreviation you guys use for this version)

I didn't have to wait very long for the delivery. 5 or 6 week between placing the order and delivery of the car. Last friday I got the phone call my car was ready for pick up. It was the very first time I saw the Tourer in real life.
I must say that it looks 100 times better in real life than on pictures. The standard rims are nicely finished, the curved lines are refined and the Twilight Blue Metallic paint is a cracking colour. The rear end looks better than the hatch's bum imo.

The interior feels firm and quality materials have been used. The driver seat position is perfect, dails, menu's and SD navigition is fast and intuitive. The sound quality from the speakers is good. Magics seat are really handy and the boot is simply massive. I've checked the Octavia break, Focus Clipper and they don't even touch the Civic's toe nails .
For passengers in the rear there is enough space, but I think it's a bit narrower compared to my 8th gen hatch (I could be mistaking though). It just feels like it.

Now enough about the exterior and interior esthetics. As I've driven the previous gen of Civic, I'd like to start with a little comparison between the 8th gen hatch and the 9th gen Tourer. The ride in the 9th is a lot smoother, where the 8th was bone hard and extremely responsive the 9th gen feels much more civilized. Personally I prefer the 8th handling, but I can imagine 98% of the population would prefer the 9th's handling.
The engine in my Tourer is the 1.6 i-DTEC. This engine has enough torque it could move a house if you ask me. Due to it's reduced friction, it's really responsive and is eager to move the car the way you like it.
I have not driven it too sporty yet, I'd first like to run in the brakes, engine and clutch, so didn't make any high revs or haven't taken corners at the edge of slipping out of them, but I feel this is a genuine Honda and it will stick to the road like superglue on your fingers. Where as the 8th gen was a rather nervous car to drive with, this Tourer has the ability to explode and show it's tail lights to a lot of others, but more important he can cruise at a steady pace in a way you can relax.

When I've covered some more kilometers I hope to post some mpg statistics and some more chit chat on the Tourer's handling.

I really hope this Tourer can break some legs on the fleet market. Honda is rather abscent there, but this car cannot be ignored by fleet manager imho.

Pictures can be found here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery...ue-tourer.html
Thanks to anti-rsca from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 26th March 2014, 13:18
Supporter

Car: 2013 2.2 I-DTEC ES-T Black
Very good review of the 9G. Enjoy the car. By the way it looks very nice.I wished I could have waited for the tourer, but last year in the summer it was time to change my 8G, so I ended with a hatchback.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th March 2014, 10:03

Car: Civic 1.6 iDTEC EX
Eco display
enjoy your car. my hatch boot is full to the brim with work stuff and i wish the tourer had been available when i changed my car

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th April 2014, 14:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
3 weeks now I own this car. Comming from a Peugeot 308 SW (company car), I sure as hell don't want to back.

This car already transported a small chicken house, 3 adults + 1 baby + 1 three year old in a special car seat together with all the luggage (Big Maxi Cosi stroller, small stroller and a few bags). I didn't even have to specially arrange everything, it just fits in. So the boot is really massive!

First 2 tanks I've treated the car gently, but the 3th time I fill up the tank, I've given the Civic a beating, high revs, harsh steering, ... I must say the car really handles well. Though I find the 8th gen a bit better at keeping corners. Apart from that, it's a real nice car to drive with.
This brings me to the fuel consumption. I didn't measure the consumption the first time I filled the tank, but the second and third time the consumption went from 6.8l to 6.3l per 100 km. With only 1500 kilometers on the clock I suspect this to drop to 5.6l or so. This is really good considering my driving style.

Can't really think of a big downside on this car. If I really have to mention a downside, I'd say that the SD navigation's I-UI isn't that intuitive. I'm a (web)developer, so mostly I know how computercontrolled stuff works. But when my wife steps in the Tourer, she's having a trouble trying to navigate through everything. She always finds what she needs, but not always through the shortest way. If there should be improvements made on this car, it should be there.

Don't let this keep you from buying a Civic (Tourer), because it are really, really nice cars.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 17th August 2014, 19:45
Supporter

Hi just about to order a 1.6 diesel tourer in Ireland. Changing from a five year old accord. Was really worried that I'd notice a major step down in power from the accord. We test drove the 1.6 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It's the sport model in Ireland. It doesn't have Leather seats or sat nav but has a decent spec. By sounds of it not missing out much by not getting the nav unit. Thinking of adding a ln aftermarket sat nav anyway. Coming from an ex spec accord I will miss my heated seats, but I'm hoping for much better fuel economy and tax coming down from 390 to 180..should have her by end of week. Going for twilight blue colour.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 20:27 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
Hi just about to order a 1.6 diesel tourer in Ireland. Changing from a five year old accord. Was really worried that I'd notice a major step down in power from the accord. We test drove the 1.6 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It's the sport model in Ireland. It doesn't have Leather seats or sat nav but has a decent spec. By sounds of it not missing out much by not getting the nav unit. Thinking of adding a ln aftermarket sat nav anyway. Coming from an ex spec accord I will miss my heated seats, but I'm hoping for much better fuel economy and tax coming down from 390 to 180..should have her by end of week. Going for twilight blue colour.
Great choice! You will not regret. Two weeks ago I towed 750 Kg and now I just came back from holiday, it has massive boot space. The tray beneath the boot is really an addition.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th August 2014, 13:48
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-rsca View Post
Great choice! You will not regret. Two weeks ago I towed 750 Kg and now I just came back from holiday, it has massive boot space. The tray beneath the boot is really an addition.
thanks, i have it a week now and really like.. very similar spec to yours only we dont get the nav unit on the sport model in ireland..

one question re your boot liner. with it in can you still acess the under floor compartment?

cheers,
mick
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th August 2014, 15:43
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
one question re your boot liner. with it in can you still acess the under floor compartment?

cheers,
mick

yes but of course you have to lift this up, I found with the liner stuff rolled around the boot more so I had a boot carpet made to sit inside the liner and cure this problem
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th August 2014, 15:54 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
thanks, i have it a week now and really like.. very similar spec to yours only we dont get the nav unit on the sport model in ireland..

cheers,
mick
Sat nav is an option it wasn't standard in the sport model.

To access the space below the boot i have to take the rubber mat out
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2014, 12:14

Car: 2014 1.6 i-dtec civic tourer
Hi antirsca.
I have a civic tourer 1.6 lifestyle and can you please tell me how is your radio sound quality? I found it pretty weak, only 4 speaker + 2 front tweeter. The dealership have told me that there is also 2 rear tweeter but i can't find them. In the civic catalog, Honda says that there is 8 speakers in this car.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2014, 12:28 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
Hi antirsca.
I have a civic tourer 1.6 lifestyle and can you please tell me how is your radio sound quality? I found it pretty weak, only 4 speaker + 2 front tweeter. The dealership have told me that there is also 2 rear tweeter but i can't find them. In the civic catalog, Honda says that there is 8 speakers in this car.
Hello,

If it's in the book, they should put them in or at least show you where the speakers are located.
I don't know by head how many speakers are in my car, but I find the sound quality more than OK. It's way better then my 8G Civic from 2008. I'm really satisfied.
If you expect B&O sounds, then you'll probably be dissatisfied.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th October 2014, 08:09
Supporter

Quote:
Sat nav is an option it wasn't standard in the sport model.

To access the space below the boot i have to take the rubber mat out

I have a question re options - can you get them fitted after you bought the car? im thinking i'd like the sat nav unit in my car but can i ask honda to fit now? how do you find the unit? i've heard mixed opinions about it

Cheers,
Mick
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th October 2014, 08:59 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
I have a question re options - can you get them fitted after you bought the car? im thinking i'd like the sat nav unit in my car but can i ask honda to fit now? how do you find the unit? i've heard mixed opinions about it

Cheers,
Mick
It would be no problem to have them fitted after you bought the car. I find it pretty expensive though 1500€ for SD navigation, maybe if it's aftersales, it'll even be more expensive (not sure though).

The unit does the job, but I'm sure there are better things to be found on the market.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th October 2014, 13:36
Supporter

Yes i checked with Honda Ireland and they quoted something like 1800 euro all in! i guess its best to get these things as standard spec when buying the car, this and the auto dimming mirror are the only two things i wish i had on my spec..
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th October 2014, 13:38
Supporter

Quote:
Yes i checked with Honda Ireland and they quoted something like 1800 euro all in! i guess its best to get these things as standard spec when buying the car, this and the auto dimming mirror are the only two things i wish i had on my spec..
The auto dimmng mirror is an option as part of the Dynamic safety pack but i doubt i'd use the other features
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st October 2014, 09:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
So, time for a little update as I've covered 12.500 km in this car, I have a pretty good view of what it has to offer.

My opinion on this car remains very positive. I don't want anything else but this one. It's got the oompfh you need, it's got plenty of space and there no squeeks and rattles. Also the paint seems more rigid than the 8th gen.

I've towed a few rather heavy trailers with it and the engine handles them with ease. I must admit, I drive it really sporty, but the consumption remains around 6l/100km, so it's not bad at all.

There is one little issue which is getting fixed next week, the rear bumper had a small spot where the paint came loose. But the dealer arranged me a new bumper at no costs at all.

I'd recommend this car to anybody who is looking for a break. The kids have plenty of room in the back, the road noise isn't too loud, the speakers are more than ok.

The navigation system (SD navigation) isn't really good though. Maps are out of date and the menu's are not very intuitive. It cost me € 1.500, which is a hell of a lot for a navigation system, but I regret this option.

Apart from this minor point, the rest of the car is worth every penny.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st October 2014, 09:36
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
So, time for a little update as I've covered 12.500 km in this car, I have a pretty good view of what it has to offer.

My opinion on this car remains very positive. I don't want anything else but this one. It's got the oompfh you need, it's got plenty of space and there no squeeks and rattles. Also the paint seems more rigid than the 8th gen.

I've towed a few rather heavy trailers with it and the engine handles them with ease. I must admit, I drive it really sporty, but the consumption remains around 6l/100km, so it's not bad at all.

There is one little issue which is getting fixed next week, the rear bumper had a small spot where the paint came loose. But the dealer arranged me a new bumper at no costs at all.

I'd recommend this car to anybody who is looking for a break. The kids have plenty of room in the back, the road noise isn't too loud, the speakers are more than ok.

The navigation system (SD navigation) isn't really good though. Maps are out of date and the menu's are not very intuitive. It cost me € 1.500, which is a hell of a lot for a navigation system, but I regret this option.

Nice update

I should be getting my 1.6 this week (Hatchback SR) and can't wait... I had a 1.6 SE Tourer for 4 weeks and loved it

Drives very similar to the 1.8, quiet and smooth with very little road noise.... except has a much quicker pick up... feels more torquey across the rev range. Very relaxing to drive but surprisingly quick considering it's a 1.6.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st October 2014, 10:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
... but surprisingly quick considering it's a 1.6.
Indeed, when you drive it like you stole it, it goes pretty quick. The power is already available at very low revs and goes on till the red comes in sight. Also the handling astonishingly well for a break. It handles like the hatch imo.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st October 2014, 11:34

Car: 2019 Civic Sport 1.5 Turbo
Quote:
Indeed, when you drive it like you stole it, it goes pretty quick. The power is already available at very low revs and goes on till the red comes in sight. Also the handling astonishingly well for a break. It handles like the hatch imo.
Some of the petrol hades seem to think they or slow.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2014, 08:01
Supporter

Quote:

A few of the reviews complain abou the Sat Nav and media unit that its awfully dated.. I only have the standard stereo and would love to upgrade but I'm going to wait to see what Honda Connect is like.. if its as cheap to retrofit as some of the Pioneer units i might be tempted.. till then my HTC One m eight dash mounted is actually pretty neat. I use a couple of nice Car apps, and Sygic for Sat Nav for times I'm out of Google maps data range..

I'm going to spend the 1500 you spent on getting aftermarket leather fitted to mine.. my car is the same colour as yours.. i'll make sure to upload some before/after pictures when I'm getting the job done..

Only other extra i'd like is to replace the standard rear view mirror.. it looks kind of cheap in the car..

Last edited by micks_address; 23rd October 2014 at 09:27.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Tags
1.6 i-dtec , civic 9th gen , tourer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page