8g ES i-Shift vs 9g SR Auto - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th January 2015, 13:45 Thread Starter

Car: 2014 1.8 SR Auto
Smile 8g ES i-Shift vs 9g SR Auto

So, on Friday, I said a fond goodbye to Connie, my 2007 8g ES i-Shift (in Champagne Silver no less) that had been my chariot for nearly the last three years and took delivery of Emma, a 2014 9g SR Auto in Crystal Black. So now I thought I'd share a few thoughts on the new machine as compared to the old.

On the face of it, both cars represent the exact same offering by Honda in that:

- They are both one down from the top of their range.
- They both represent the automatic offering when new.

So, on that basis is the 9g any better?

Oh yes!

Now, obviously, technology has come on a bit since 2007 so it is no surprise that the owner's manual for just the stereo of the 9g is larger than the one for the whole 8g car.

There are a dazzling array of electronic features about the 9g which I'm sure I haven't fully worked out yet. I have managed to connect an iPod, connect a telephone and make the SatNav work which will do for now. The fact that I was able to do all this without actually opening the big scary manual is testament to the intuitive way that the system is designed.

Obviously the 8g didn't have any of this (SatNav was only available at the top of the range and I had to fit a third party iPod line myself) but that did give the 8g a slight edge in respect of bigger and easier to find buttons - the 9g obviously has many more buttons and therefore each individual one is smaller. Having said that, the 9g can be operated by shouting at it so no buttons need actually be pressed. (Although I am still learning the language - at present I only speak schoolboy Honda with an terrible English accent and very poor grammar, but I'll get there).

Additionally the addition of the sub in the boot corrects a niggling problem I had withe 8g which was, whilst the stereo was very good, bass tended to drain away at motorway speeds. This is no longer the case and for that - as I'm quite particular about music - I am grateful.

Cabin technology aside, the 9g looks a little less like what 1950's Sci-Fi comics thought cars would look like in the "Year Nineteen Ninety Nine" and now looks more like a 21st century car designed in the 21st century, certainly more streamlined and more focused in its appearance. Mine (because it's black) also has a passing resemblance to Knight Rider, which amuses me slightly.

Certainly, as also seen in technology and the raised boot lip, Honda has made between 8g and 9g absolutely no concessions whatsoever in the appearance or operation of this car to the older generation that bought Civics back in the pre-8g days.

Inside it is just as comfortable to sit in as the 8g, decent quality leather and less brittle plastics about. It's much easier to see out the back (not that you need to because of the cameras) and much easier to see out the sides.

If we're being really REALLY picky, I have one complaint about the look of the dashboard - on the automatic versions the engine starts with a key turn rather than a button (why?) and where the button would be is blanked off with a rather plain piece of mat plastic. I would have preferred something sculpted like the button, but in plain black.

On to ride, performance and handling. Ride is better, there's no two ways about it. Despite bigger wheels and thinner tyres, this car does not crash over every pot-hole like an 8g. It is smoother and quieter and generally a nice place to be.

Performance is largely the same - a handful of extra horsepower from the 1.8 since 8g and certainly lower emissions (tax is £35 cheaper) but there's no real difference - the 8g was no slouch and neither is this. The proper automatic box is however, after i-Shift a godsend. Gear changes are smooth, there's no two second lag while it decides what gear to put itself in at a roundabout, and it doesn't shred it back breaks every time I stop. (There are flappy paddles fitted to my 9g, but I have yet to work out what they are for). Still gear change is smooth and the eager, and putting it in S mode allows for a little fun at high speeds and overtaking.

Handling is a little better. Again the 8g was not bad at this, but the 9g is better, the power steering a little more responsive and so the car able to move about a little more easily.

In summary then; the 9g does not come across as a whole new car, in the way that the transformation from 7g to 8g must have been, but rather one that Honda have taken the criticisms of the previous version and then worked on to make the new one better.

I think they've done it rather well.

Last edited by Penguin; 25th January 2015 at 13:49.
Thank You to Penguin from 4 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th January 2015, 05:12

Car: 2012 black, 1.8 auto exe
Thanks for review, totally agree.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st February 2015, 19:15
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Would be nice if you keep up dated on your mpg results. Debating diesel or auto when I change as Honda not got auto diesel civic....yet. SR would be my choice also.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2015, 06:33
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dwarf View Post
Would be nice if you keep up dated on your mpg results. Debating diesel or auto when I change as Honda not got auto diesel civic....yet. SR would be my choice also.
If you want an example of the max possible in a 1.8 torque converter auto then look in my left hand panel. 47mpg.
That was achieved on mainly motorways and A roads. If I didn't have to come home in the afternoon M25 peak that figure would be over 50mpg as my morning run into work was free flowing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2015, 14:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2014 1.8 SR Auto
Thus far I am getting about 7-9mpg more on average with this auto as compared to the old i-Shift. Mid forties as compared to high thirties in all driving.

Cheers

Penguin
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th February 2015, 14:42

Car: 2012 black, 1.8 auto exe
I have driven 40k km- average fuel consump: 7.5l/100km
Normal driving(not slow). 60% motorways, 40% city.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th July 2015, 12:41
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Good review thanks I keep thinking of getting a auto but would like a diesel auto with paddles until there available in honda will have to stick to manual. Good mpg out of a petrol auto mid to high 40s that's what I'm getting out of a diesel manual focus hope will be a lot better when I get the civic.

Last edited by IWANTACIVIC; 5th July 2015 at 12:44.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 15th July 2015, 19:29

Good review.. Could you please check the manual for the max towing weight braked for the Auto. I read somewhere its 1000kg but that seems a little low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page