What cars civic vs audi a3 bmw 1 and golf review - Civinfo
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 18:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
What cars civic vs audi a3 bmw 1 and golf review

Anyone read what cars new group test roup test - Audi A3 Sportback vs BMW 1 Series vs Honda Civic vs golf test . Anyone read it looks like the civic didn't do well 😯 . How much do you agree or disagree? I think it was a bit harsh the civic is may be not the best in group but it not last in my opinion. We tested all but golf and think for the price of rental I think the Civic is as good as any of these for us. The reviewers should test focus against theses and see how it fairs and I think there would be a new bottom place car. Lol how much did audi pay then for this review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 19:14
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer 1.6 iDTEC
Eco display Eco display
I haven't seen it but all the motoring press seem biased towards German brands. Maybe they are more luxorious but they are also expensive to maintain due to poor reliability. I might consider a German brand If I was to replace my car every 3 years but for a car that I intend to keep for much longer, Honda is the clear winner for me.
Honda.new.be likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 19:23
Supporter

Car: 09' CW FN2
Garage
Think its a slightly unfair category for the civic to go in? Probably Volkswagen paid for it to try and get away from the whole emissions scandal...

Who was it that done the test?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 19:41

Car: 2014 1.8 i-VTEC SE Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTACIVIC View Post
Anyone read what cars new group test roup test - Audi A3 Sportback vs BMW 1 Series vs Honda Civic vs golf test . Anyone read it looks like the civic didn't do well 😯 . How much do you agree or disagree? I think it was a bit harsh the civic is may be not the best in group but it not last in my opinion. We tested all but golf and think for the price of rental I think the Civic is as good as any of these for us. The reviewers should test focus against theses and see how it fairs and I think there would be a new bottom place car. Lol how much did audi pay then for this review.
Is this the review?

Group test - Audi A3 Sportback vs BMW 1 Series vs Honda Civic vs Volkswagen Golf - What Car?

Bizarrely they rated the Civic the least reliable. Whatcar? more like WTFcar.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 19:41

Haven't read it, but I have had German cars and never want one any more. Sure they are not bad, but also not that good.

In the long term, Honda's reliability and technology is still one of the best to my opinion. This opinion is confirmed also by what I see from my acquaintances who drive a German car. Sure there are differences regarding comfort and so on, but for me it's clear.

Not knowing makes Honda not wanted or loved. I don't have any problem with that because this makes a Honda more rare than all the uniform designed German "so called premium" garbage. Unfortunately though, the Accord is not continued but I hope it will come back in the near future.

But I love the Beer and the food from Germany....
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 19:55
Supporter

Garage
The thing that I don't know it how Honda didn't win the space and practicality, I know I don't have that particular car but as a golfer I know for a fact I can fit my golf clubs easily into a Honda... I couldn't even nearly get them in any of the others...

+ the figures at the bottom.... all of these state that the Honda has beat the other cars in all areas... price, torque, power, 0-60 etc...

Think it must of been a German car fanboy who wrote this one.... or another Honda hater
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 20:03
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
The haters gonna hate. Lol.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 20:10
Supporter

Garage
It really is amazing the amount of Honda haters, although its usually for the type r
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 21:49
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Interesting comments from the testers regarding the engine/gearing flexibility. A cousin of mine and his wife both came to hate their 116d because of the commented characteristics. However they swapped it for a petrol 1 series and have been happy since !
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 22:39
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...

Car: 2015 1.6 I-DTEC SE+ Tourer
No real surprises. ..we all know why we chose Honda over the rest. ..

In 2000, I bought a new A Class Mercedes which I kept for 10 years. My shortlist was that and a Golf. The merc was a great car but there were some nasty bills here and there.

Replaced it with a new civic 8G in 2010. Considered a Golf yet again, but up against the Civic it was DULL. Kept the Civic for 5 years and it was always astoundingly good with NO nasty bills or surprises.

So when I replaced it with a new car in 2015, I considered a 1 series, Golf and A3, then thought, why walk away from Honda?

So I bought a new diesel civic tourer.

All good cars, but I just liked the whole Civic package.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 23:11
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
yawn - here we go again - a Honda hasn't won a group test so the test MUST be biased or have been 'bought'...

You guys...
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 17th November 2015, 23:14
Supporter

Garage
Think its just cause most of the stats favour the Honda and they are saying its the worst
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 01:25
Supporter

Car: 1.6 iDTEC ES
Eco display Eco display
Re: the WhatCar test, the civic trounces all the other cars tested with a fast 0-60 time and far better mpg, more practicality but everything else about it in their opinion, is, well, mediocre to downright abysmal. Interesting the 0-60 WhatCar achieved is at least a second quicker than Honda's own figure. Having driven the Audi A3 1.6 D it does feel much slower and the seats are much less comfy than the civic, but it is quieter. I wonder how much slower and even less fuel efficient the Audi and VW will be after they have been 'corrected'.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 05:14
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal1996 View Post
Think its just cause most of the stats favour the Honda and they are saying its the worst
Exactly. I posted a very similar comment a few months back after another biased order in AE.
It smacks of the tester pushing out some true thoughts but then being told by the advertising budget dept what the final order needs to be.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 06:58
Supporter

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
yawn - here we go again - a Honda hasn't won a group test so the test MUST be biased or have been 'bought'...

You guys...
I didn't say they were bought. But people in general (reviewers and public ) do seem to believe the advertising that German brands are superior engineering. But the reliability stats prove that the engineering isn't better. They are just better at making cars that look good in the showroom. But under the covers there is a cheaply built car that will often not last 4 years before a major problem occurs.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 07:49
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Bland is a good word. My cooper s was funky but the turbo getting knackered because a piece of intake pipe cracked and went in was not impressive. Plus the oil from the pcv pipe and the coking of the inlet valves. Glad to get back to Honda reliability.

Last edited by flashy; 18th November 2015 at 07:52.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 10:02
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kphonda View Post
I didn't say they were bought. But people in general (reviewers and public ) do seem to believe the advertising that German brands are superior engineering. But the reliability stats prove that the engineering isn't better. They are just better at making cars that look good in the showroom. But under the covers there is a cheaply built car that will often not last 4 years before a major problem occurs.
I think Volkswagen Audi Group have the potential to try and "buy" results just now...
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 10:50
Supporter

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
I think Volkswagen Audi Group have the potential to try and "buy" results just now...
I don't think they need to, to be honest. The internal finish of their cars does look superior to Honda (although the gap has narrowed since the 9G). In my opinion this clouds people's judgement of the overall package. Not saying Honda should come first. It depends what your priorities are. But for me the Civic is:

- More powerful and economic engine
- Better boot space and magic seats
- Very good reliability
- comfortable seats and driving position (for me)
- Spaceship style driver controls to please my inner geek
- Not boring to look at

The other cars may offer lower road and engine noise or improved handling if you push the car but really those are not on my priority list. I also don't care too much about room for passengers, as I usually drive alone.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 11:11
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
Quote:
Yes but as noted in some of the posts on here there is a lot more to 'ownership' than just stats and we can all point to stats that will prove or disprove our own personal theories or hunches.

Ownership is about design, quality, feel-good factor, comfort, cost, term of ownership etc. and how you as an individual rank them, as well as reliability (the last one being the one that gets mentioned on here most).

I've said it before and I'll say it again so you can choose to agree or disagree as you see fit... Honda make good cars... however the interior quality, feel-good factor, comfort and, in my personal experience of long term ownership, reliability etc. are no better or worse than other marques and in some areas they are worse as has been noted.

Maybe, just maybe, that's why they don't come top in tests - they may be close but are not quite good enough... just a thought
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 18th November 2015, 11:59
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
Yes but as noted in some of the posts on here there is a lot more to 'ownership' than just stats and we can all point to stats that will prove or disprove our own personal theories or hunches.

Ownership is about design, quality, feel-good factor, comfort, cost, term of ownership etc. and how you as an individual rank them, as well as reliability (the last one being the one that gets mentioned on here most).

I've said it before and I'll say it again so you can choose to agree or disagree as you see fit... Honda make good cars... however the interior quality, feel-good factor, comfort and, in my personal experience of long term ownership, reliability etc. are no better or worse than other marques and in some areas they are worse as has been noted.

Maybe, just maybe, that's why they don't come top in tests - they may be close but are not quite good enough... just a thought
Completely understand what you are saying, but when these cars are tested the people testing them don't have the ownership experience either?

Its always going to be a topic where everyone has their own opinions

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page