Just driven the new Civic 1.8 EX GT - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 29th February 2012, 12:58 Thread Starter

Just driven the new Civic 1.8 EX GT

We're huge fans of the 06-11 Civic - we've had a fair few of them - all 1.8 manuals - we can't see the point of paying a fortune for a diesel as we dont do enough miles. Anyway, new Civic.

Looks
I am yet to meet anyone who likes the way it looks. It's ugly at the front, and hopefully in about a year's time they will give it a facelift, and then we might be interested. The rest of the car is fine, if a little overcomplicated on the lines.

Internals
Some of the bad points of the 8th Gen Civic have been attended to. There is a wash wipe! However, the rear view is not really any better at all.
The corner of the dash that sometimes gets you in the knee when you get in and out has been removed.
But the centre pockets have been messed up. They are smaller, and the one at base of the gear stick has been removed.
The biggest problem internally, as if it was some French crud, is that they have left the handbrake on the passenger side, so you have to reach across the centre console to get it - very French, very cheap, very rubbish.
The dials and displays - well for my liking there are now 4 screens to look at - I just dont want it, I want to drive a car not watch tv. Too many graphics and gimmicks, but hey ho.
Also, there seem to be a huge amount of dust gathering crevices. Now these may look good, but anyone who spends time in their car will tell you they just catch dust - these dashes will not look good after a year or two without regular cleaning!
I did feel the doors had a nice solid thud to them.
The back seats looke pretty much the same as or old model.
Also the boot, which was always a fantastic plus point of the 8th Gen Civics has been changed. the lip of the boot has been raised up - so not quite as accessible.

The drive
Does it go? Well, firstly, it doesn't have that glimmer of excitement on the gas of the old 1.8 - that was 8.9 0-60 an this is 9.1. I wondered if I might detect that difference, and when I drove, yes I could - it doesn't quite have that bit of zip - a major disappointment.
And the steering - what have they done?! - it's lost its precision, I tried a fast roundabout and it was like steering through porridge. Not good.
Finally, the suspension. Felt a fair bit better. It was never great on the 8th gen - and this is a much needed improvement.
Oh, and i fancy the gear changes are better too.

Build quality
I've read a few things about this being a real step up from the last one. I cannot agree with this. I found the quality on the last one to be fairly good. There were issues, but nothing like what you would get on German or French stuff.
Two issues immediately struck me about the new model. Firstly, on the outer panels, the guy who designed the back door obviously hasn't talked to the guy who did the back panel, as the two do not meet up at the furthest rear point of the back door - there's an uncomfortable ridge, which not only looks cheap, but it cannot do anything for wind resistance either.
Secondly, in the back of the car, which had less than 100 miles on it btw, I already detected a noise from the overhead fabric ceiling lining, just like on my 09 model.

Conclusion
To sum it up nicely, when we asked if the dealer had other colours we could see it in, presuming they would have some ready for delivery for the new plate on 1 March, our salesman effectively said they hadn't sold any!

Will I be buying one? No. It's a nice car, fine, has some good points, some bad ones, but i wont be giving up my Civic Si for it.
All I can suggest is they review it when they find it is not selling, they give it a facelift, and come up with some offers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 29th February 2012, 13:38
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good review.

I spotted that mismatch between the door and rear panel and posted about it just over a week ago. Definitely a dirt trap. Not having driven one I can't comment on most items. I also didn't get to see the dash lit up so I can't comment on that either.

I liked it but not enough to rush out and buy one now. I'll wait for nature to take it's course and probably look more seriously next March. This week is the anniversary of the time I changed my 07 i-shift for the 09 full auto after only 2 years of ownership but that was a 'must' change.

One area I've not seen commented on is the 'massive' painted area above each DRL that has got to be 'stone chip hell'
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 29th February 2012, 17:45
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
I'll c & p my comment from Pottsy's review as it seems a dead thread now

Quote:
One thing that's bugged me with my 8G and is the same on the 9G is the ridiculous positioning of the fuel cap release. I have to get out of the car and reach under..*BANGED MY BONCE AGAIN* to open it.

WHY THERE, Surely it is better positioned next to the drivers seat ?

The Milano Red one eases the drastic rear light bar imo

Just need the door handles & rear Triangles putting back on.

I Wonder if anyone will do a "Triangles" rear splitter ?

Is the exhaust layout the same as 8G ?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 29th February 2012, 21:25
Supporter

Handbrake being French? Not sure about that as it's still on the passengers side if LHD, but I agree, better where it was...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 29th February 2012, 23:40
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Pretty much falls into line with what I saw on my inspection although I didn't drive it.

Very disappointing as the new car had promise but in my opinion, has taken a step back in some areas.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 06:18
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
The Lexus IS200 had the handbrake on the passenger side and it was a pain.

Almost impossible to use it without touching the passenger.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 06:35
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post

Anyone know the reasons why they placed it there?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 07:28
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Probably so it's out of the way to give the driver unrestricted access to the centre console ?

Still, it's far better there than the Toyota/Merc which is foot operated and a real pain. I had a Lexus IS250 for a day and a Prius for a day. To operate the 'parking brake' which is like a pseudo clutch pedal I kept banging my knee on the steering wheel as they had quite a bit of travel.
I would guess this is why Merc's and Toyotas always sit blinding you at traffic lights, too difficult to apply the brake.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 08:07
Supporter

Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Anyone know the reasons why they placed it there?
Cost cutting, engineered in LHD, saves money redesigning the centre console for RHD. They don't have to produce two different consoles etc.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 10:39
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
when i first got my civic i fould the position of the handbrake odd and that my leg rested against it, maybe thats why? i got used to it in fact i had forgotten about it until i read this
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 13:18
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
Quote:

Depends who the passenger is
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 15:33

I drove an 1.8 AT.
About the engine, it is better than before. No more the bad response time between the time you press the accelerator and the start RPM increase of the engine like G8 engine has. Good

At low speed, the engine is better too and it goes higher in RPM too.
Of course, sensation has dropped a little due the low noise level and confort.

The AT gear box is much better as before and more responsive too. This could explain the good mpg result.

For me, it is the best AT civic.
The front look is very nice with a very aggressive, sportive front (under the "V"). Now, this car is not only an UFO but it is now identified as UFO of the "Visitors"
Thanks to ecs43x from:
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st March 2012, 19:30
Supporter

Quote:
Handbrake being French? Not sure about that as it's still on the passengers side if LHD, but I agree, better where it was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by para999 View Post
Cost cutting, engineered in LHD, saves money redesigning the centre console for RHD. They don't have to produce two different consoles etc.
Wrong, read above...
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2012, 04:45
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Wrong, read above...
Read where?

Not just Honda saving a few quid per car, same in the Focus. They can produce the same console regardless of LHD/RHD, rather than moving the handbrake a couple of inches over. Nothing to do with easier access or being 'French', simple cost cutting!

Last edited by para999; 2nd March 2012 at 04:49.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2012, 06:12
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Understandable.

Do we know for sure that the left hookers have the handbrake on the left side as well ?

Foiled: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/user-re...-ex-idtec.html

For left handers the handbrake is on the right (picture 2) !

I'm going back to my original guess that it's to allow better access to the centre console for the driver.

Last edited by Kremmen; 2nd March 2012 at 06:24.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2012, 06:32
Supporter

Quote:
Understandable.

Do we know for sure that the left hookers have the handbrake on the left side as well ?

Foiled: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/user-re...-ex-idtec.html

For left handers the handbrake is on the right (picture 2) !

I'm going back to my original guess that it's to allow better access to the centre console for the driver.
Correct with regard to LHD, i.e. the position is still on opposite side so it can't be cost cutting...
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2012, 09:09
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs43x View Post
I drove an 1.8 AT.
About the engine, it is better than before. No more the bad response time between the time you press the accelerator and the start RPM increase of the engine like G8 engine has. Good

At low speed, the engine is better too and it goes higher in RPM too.
Of course, sensation has dropped a little due the low noise level and confort.

The AT gear box is much better as before and more responsive too. This could explain the good mpg result.

How can the engine and gear box be more responsive at low revs and the engine livelier at high revs and yet the car is slower than before?

That's an improvement over the entire rev range and yet the figures say the car is slower.

I think there may be more perceived difference than actual difference here, either that or maybe your 8th gen wasn't particularly responsive as the figures don't lie.

The improved MPG is down to taller gearing by all accounts which Pottsy mentioned in his initial review which also belies the better performance claim.

If the car is performing better low down, then its losing something in the middle or up top otherwise it would be faster than the current offering.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2012, 12:16
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Correct with regard to LHD, i.e. the position is still on opposite side so it can't be cost cutting...
I stand corrected!!!!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 6th March 2012, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
How can the engine and gear box be more responsive at low revs and the engine livelier at high revs and yet the car is slower than before?

That's an improvement over the entire rev range and yet the figures say the car is slower.

I think there may be more perceived difference than actual difference here, either that or maybe your 8th gen wasn't particularly responsive as the figures don't lie.

The improved MPG is down to taller gearing by all accounts which Pottsy mentioned in his initial review which also belies the better performance claim.

If the car is performing better low down, then its losing something in the middle or up top otherwise it would be faster than the current offering.
Give it a try like I did (G9 1.8l AT and older G8 1.8l, 1.8 i-shift and 1.8 AT - all full options) and Yes,
On the G9, the engine restarts immediately when you press the accelerator (starting from a stop). the G8, there is a slight delay before the acceleration (all 1.8l G8 models tested were the same)

The new G9 car is heavier but the engine is more responsive and less like the patina reports during the passages, the consumption is taking maximum advantage

Performance a likely the same in the new heavier G9 (full options) compared to the G8 which proves engine + AT gearbox are working better => more mpg
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 6th March 2012, 16:03
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
The brief view that I got of Nissans new "Invitation" looks to me how Honda should've styled the new Civic. Rear end anyway !

BBC News - Nissan to make new model in Sunderland in UK

Last edited by Civic_Outcast; 6th March 2012 at 16:48.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page