iCDTi - A 15 min test drive - first impressions - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 15th March 2012, 01:18 Thread Starter
Oldboy-racer

Car: 2009 Milano 2.2 iCTDi
iCDTi - A 15 min test drive - first impressions

While waiting for my 09 8G to be checked over at my local Honda franchise I was persuaded to have go in the new 9G iCDTi version.
The 8th was always a sporty looking car even at entry level and Honda seemed to be wanting to grab the younger market with it, but this one I'm not quite sure who they are aiming the 9G at.
It has more refined quality but I found that it seemed to be suffering from a bit if a middle age identity crisis. Everything seemed to be squidgy around the edges, from the podgy steering wheel to the soft seats, soft ride, podgy rear and general middle age feel - too much like me !
The car looks like it is leaning more toward a mature market (and starting to look like so many other cars) but at the same it is trying to cling onto its childhood with those "forbidden planet" retro tacho clusters.
Its like the designers said to themselves "We need to make it different". So they stuck the handbrake on the stupid side of the centre console (at least for hand brake turns ), they took the rational smooth uncluttered 3D look of the dash and split it up into separate globules, they covered the gear stick, they moved the eco-gear change arrow way out of line of sight and hit you with so much tech that I'm sure the establishment will bring out a new law to stop you ogling at it all while your driving.
Yes the drive is a little smoother, but I found the facelift 09 that I have to be really quite refined with a perky disposition, and I didn't realise just how much more uncluttered and a drivers' car it was till I slipped back into its supportive seat, pressed the red button and as the lovely 3D display sprang to life and I pulled out onto the road a familiar smile appeared back on my face.

I read Pottsy's review and it looks like he had a good time with it. I just found it bit ... sorry if I offended any new owners. It still has those magic seats and is exceptionally well laid out otherwise, that Honda quality too and at least they didn't do what Ford and Renault did to their babies, squashed them!

Anyway, I was told I could book one out for a whole day when I take my car in for it's next service! That's impressive. Western Honda, Edinburgh, know how to look after their customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 15th March 2012, 13:05
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
I hope it wasnt a CDTi, should have been the new Dtec
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 15th March 2012, 19:59 Thread Starter
Oldboy-racer
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Milano 2.2 iCTDi
Probably, I was just told it was the new diesel. So they thought up a new name too ?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th March 2012, 14:08
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
only about two years ago when they introduced it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th March 2012, 22:21

Car: 2006 2.2 Civic Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
I hope it wasnt a CDTi, should have been the new Dtec

What astounds me with the new diesel is the £20 a year road tax

I prefer the 8G for looks but when the time comes, I don't think I'd hesitate to buy a 9G if it's anything like the 8G to drive.

Last edited by sirkuk; 16th March 2012 at 22:23.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th March 2012, 22:58
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR GT
Ive just been into my local dealer today as well. I have to say the new civic does feel of better quality in some parts but business as usual in others. The door cards for one are much 'beefier' and feel like those in a Volvo. The steering wheel material choice is slightly strange. The front actually looks quite nice but that rear is not a good look for now until an R model comes with some tweaks. The dash seemed abit too complicated but felt snug like there was more car to shield you from outside compared the 8th gen.

I've yet to test drive one but this civic seems like a better all rounder than the old one aside from on the styling front from initial impressions. It's sounds strange but it feels like a better car but i wouldn't buy one but that's just me favouring looks over most things with a car.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page