My New 2012 Civic ES-T Automatic with Elite+ Pack - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 19:44 Thread Starter

Car: 2017 SR CVT
Smile My New 2012 Civic ES-T Automatic with Elite+ Pack

I picked up my new 2012 Civic ES-T Automatic with Elite+ Pack today - in the pouring rain. Have taken a few photos as shown here.

Amazingly everything worked as I had a long list to go through on collection. Even the alarm works and the front & back parking sensors beep.

I paired my iPhone and the next I knew was the salesman scrolling through my iPod music library playing anything he wanted! With no wires connected Bluetooth worked very well. The key remote can wind the windows up and close the wing mirrors while the car is locked - very useful.

The 2D / 3D SatNav is brilliant. I can now programme in 5 stopping points on my journey. The touch screen is really fast and so far hasn't needed cleaning. The only real challenge was to change the name of a previously saved entry. When you add by Post Code or Town etc there is no immediate way to change the name from the built in name to a personal name. It can be done however.

I've only driven 6 miles in it but that was so much smoother than my 2008 Civic. The proper automatic is a dream. No more waiting around at roundabouts and ultra smooth gear changes.

I'll take it out for a proper drive at the weekend and find out more how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4564.jpg (96.4 KB, 1044 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4553.jpg (88.4 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_562.jpg (83.8 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4557.jpg (82.6 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4569.jpg (48.0 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4580.jpg (28.9 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4585.jpg (58.3 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4581.jpg (42.3 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4587.jpg (61.9 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg civic_es_t_4595.jpg (46.1 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by electric; 25th April 2012 at 19:55. Reason: spelling error
Thanks to electric from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 19:47
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 5 door, Vivid Blue
Looks nice mate well done!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 19:47
#darkside

Car: 2015 LCI M135i
Very nice looking car! How do you find the box when its deciding on what gear it wants to be in and finally.. 9.5mpg??? What did you do to achieve that

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 19:56

Very nice Sir. It's a great car, enjoy.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 20:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Moore View Post
Very nice looking car! How do you find the box when its deciding on what gear it wants to be in and finally.. 9.5mpg??? What did you do to achieve that
The mpg has never been reset since it was built. I presume most of its life it has just sat stationary with the engine running. The manual says do not use the SatNav for long periods with the engine off else you will get a flat battery. I will report on mpg after a 100 mile trip at the weeekend.

I never felt it change gear once but obviously the rev counter showed it was working Ok. I haven't tried the gear change paddles on the steering wheel and probably never will.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 20:07
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
I picked up my new 2012 Civic ES-T Automatic with Elite+ Pack today - in the pouring rain. Have taken a few photos as shown here.

Amazingly everything worked as I had a long list to go through on collection. Even the alarm works and the front & back parking sensors beep.

I paired my iPhone and the next I knew was the salesman scrolling through my iPod music library playing anything he wanted! With no wires connected Bluetooth worked very well. The key remote can wind the windows up and close the wing mirrors while the car is locked - very useful.

The 2D / 3D SatNav is brilliant. I can now programme in 5 stopping points on my journey. The touch screen is really fast and so far hasn't needed cleaning. The only real challenge was to change the name of a previously saved entry. When you add by Post Code or Town etc there is no immediate way to change the name from the built in name to a personal name. It can be done however.

I've only driven 6 miles in it but that was so much smoother than my 2008 Civic. The proper automatic is a dream. No more waiting around at roundabouts and ultra smooth gear changes.

I'll take it out for a proper drive at the weekend and find out more how it goes.
Nice looking car... Parking sensors also show up on the I-MID?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 22:39
1.5 Sport Plus CVT

Blue really suits it well........................

Thanks for posting the pics..................

Enjoy your car
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th April 2012, 22:41
Supporter

Thanked 1,035 Times in 1,016 Posts
Very nice mate
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th April 2012, 00:27
Supporter

congrats looks great, you will love it!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2012, 20:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

A few comments after my first week with the 9G. Sorry about the random order but it is how they come to mind.
  • When the manual refers to pressing the menu button it does not say which menu! The car has two. I have been unable to find the menu options that will allow me to change the brightness, colour and contrast on the reversing camera as described in the manual.
  • The front windscreen wipers are totally silent. They make no noise whatsoever. That compares to the back wiper which makes the usual wiper noise from the motor.
  • There are no rattles anywhere in the car.
  • It is much quicker to start now that I only have to turn the key. (no button to press)
  • The parking sensors both front and back not only have a series of warning beeps but a colour graphic is also shown on the iMid. They seem more intellegent than my 8G and do not beep untill nearer the obstruction.
  • MPG is better than my 8G. I now get 44mph with under 1000 miles on the clock compared to 37 when my 8G was new. (Remember it is now an Auto)
  • The aircon provides really cold air within 50 yards of starting up on a warm day.
  • It is annoying that I cannot see the overall mileage at the same time as Trip A or Trip B mileage. The choice is just one of the 3 options at once.
  • For the first week the auto lights did not dim the screen dials or satnav when they came on. I eventually found a small stick type knob hidden behind the steering wheel that had to be set below max before the auto dimming would work.
  • Although the SatNav does not show speed cameras it does show the speed limit for the main road you are driving on. This is very useful and it instantly changes as the car goes in and out of different limits.
  • From the front and sides the car looks really good in the blue. From the back it looks ugly. However having had my 8G rear lights all changed 3 times and still misting up anything is better. The black steering wheel is well made and very comfortable - much improved on the 8G.
  • The speed limiter and the cruise control are much easier to use and do their job well.
  • My space saver spare wheel fits exactly in the correctly moulded space under the main boot floor. It looks like the wheel is still available in some countries.
  • One thing I have not found and never used on my 8G is the ability to talk to the car. I can no longer speak the temperature or radio station etc as on the 8G. Perhaps they realised that everyone found it quicker to press a nob to turn on the radio rather than speaking after the beep.
  • The Bluetooth telephone system is fantastic and light years ahead of the 8G. Before I had to remember what I had named everyone and then speak it with no visual prompt. My 9G took all of 6 seconds to download my entire 350 number tel directory from my iPhone and set them up with a quick alpha indexing label. I now just touch the name and press dial. - brilliant.
That's all for a start. No doubt I'll have more feedback after another week. The bottom line is - buy one - it's worth every penny.
Thanks to electric from:
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2012, 23:03
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT Crystal Black
Sat Nav

Electric.
Thanks for the update.
I have just ordered an EX GT which comes as I understand it, with a slightly different "standard" Sat Nav.
Reading how easy it was for the device to read the I phone has given me a lot of pleasure.
I was dreading having to sit there in the car and painstakingly input all the names and numbers....
Enjoy the car. Really looking forward to getting mine, although I will miss the 'R'
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 13:22

Electric, thanks for the nice review, pics and update. My 2012 civic will be here in about two weeks, can't wait. To be honest I'm a bit disappointed by the low volume of posts on this forum about the 2012, so anything I can find here is nice
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 20:24
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCatz View Post
Electric, thanks for the nice review, pics and update. My 2012 civic will be here in about two weeks, can't wait. To be honest I'm a bit disappointed by the low volume of posts on this forum about the 2012, so anything I can find here is nice
I don't think you will be disapointed... The car has grown up, much more refined than the 8th Gen in every sense, unfortunately this seems to be the downside for some members, but I think some will come round in the end?

Any questions then please ask?

Cheers,

Bob...
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 5th May 2012, 23:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I gave my car its first clean today. I was interested to find I had no windscreen washers on my bonnet. So where were they? They were ingeniously tucked away below bonnet level with a vent to the engine compartment. It has always been a problem to stop them freezing up when driving and now they are sensibly out of the wind and also heated. Well done Honda.

After all the problems with the front 8G door handles the 9G handles can open the front door with just one little finger. A huge improvement.

The mudguards that came with the Elite Pack (I would never have normally bought them) are great. As they are a little wider than the wheels and wing itself all the mud and dirt that used to get thrown up onto the front doors now is stopped in its tracks. Result after all this rain was clean doors. They are made of the same solid plastc as the grey wheel trims.

My current most used new feature is winding in my mirrors after exiting the car and while locking the doors after parking.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 6th May 2012, 06:19
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I'd be interested to see more photos of the SatNav including some TMC Traffic Events.

I'd also be interested to see someone with an EX do the same so we can compare the 2 units.

At the moment it's the differences between the 2 SatNav unit flavours that may influence whether I get a ES-T or a EX.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 6th May 2012, 22:53
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT Crystal Black
Very good idea, although my order has already been placed!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 8th May 2012, 11:30
1.5 Sport Plus CVT

Quote:
. It has always been a problem to stop them freezing up when driving and now they are sensibly out of the wind and also heated. Well done Honda.
Is this true....they are heated?????

What a bonus.....................I never knew this.

Frozen nozzles have been a nightmare for me over the last few years.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 8th May 2012, 12:28
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
they are heated by the airflow being drawn out through the engine compartment, same as on the 8th gen
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 8th May 2012, 16:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
they are heated by the airflow being drawn out through the engine compartment, same as on the 8th gen
. . . except that instead of sitting on top of the bonnet with the full force of a freezing wind on them, they are tucked below wind level in front of an open grill to the engine compartment. Very different to the 8G.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 8th May 2012, 16:27
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,110 Times in 830 Posts
Quote:

. . . except that instead of sitting on top of the bonnet with the full force of a freezing wind on them, they are tucked below wind level in front of an open grill to the engine compartment. Very different to the 8G.
Windchill only affects organic material, like human flesh ! - the nozzle temperature will stay the same, irrespective of speed

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page