first impressions of my new civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2012, 14:40 Thread Starter

first impressions of my new civic

I've had my new 2.2 IDTEC es-t for a few weeks now, and thought I would provide a bit of an update on how its going!!

First things first - the looks. to be honest i became a bit concerned after i'd ordered it, mainly because of the polarised view about the looks, and especially the rear end. I guess what matters most though was that i wasnt bothered about that. So, appreciating the 'marmite factor', I was prepared to live with the rear end. I have to say though when it turned up outside my house on the back of a transporter my fears were instantly allayed! It looks so much better in real life than it does in the pictures. Having spent a couple of weeks looking at it from different angles, I absolutely love it. I got the polished metal metallic, which I think looks fantastic particularly at the moment when the sun is shining. It looks particulaly good in this colour (i would say that!) from the front end as the Y shape on the front grill, which i dont really like, isnt as apparent - but thats just me. Everything about its design makes sense to me, it flows really well. I appreciate it wont be for everyone, but.......I think its a fantastic looking car and turns heads no matter where I go. I love it!

Second thing i'd like to comment on is the interior. I have the es-t so have the integrated touchscreen sat nav. The functionality is fantastic, it does pretty much everything I need, its simple and easy to use. I connected my iphone to it in about 5 seconds, it was so easy. The clarity/resolution is absolutely brilliant, considering it is SD, the HDD version must be awesome!! I'm still working through the different settings and learning how they all work but so far have set mine up so that it automatically changes to 'night mode' whenever my auto headlights come on, and so that it also alerts me when i enter into a 30 zone as this isnt always obvious (to me anyway!) It's a brilliant system, and Im so pleased with it. The sound system is also really, really good. In the menu you can access different settings (impact, deep etc), and can also manually change the graphic equaliser if you understand stuff like that, which i dont!! Also, when the car is switched off, I havent yet seen any grubby finger marks, which I was always wiping off from my tom tom. Love it! The IMiD is also really really useful. It displays everything you need in what I think is a perfect position, just to the left of the speedo, including your audio source, fuel economy, climate control settings (temperature, fan speed) etc. You can also change the colour from blue to either red, gold or grey, which is a nice little touch. The IMiD screen also doubles as the rear reversing camera screen. This is a brilliant feature!! it comes on automatically as soon as you go into reverse, and provides a really clear view of where you are, as well as where you'll end up by way of a set of yellow lines. Again, the clarity is excellent, I havent had to clean it yet either which is a bonus. It's hidden under the boot lip so potentially could get covered in mud etc from the roads. I havent encountered this yet though! It works equally well at night time for me, so no problems there either.

Third thing is the overall quality in the cabin. It definately has a real premium feel about it. The main console (where the sat nav/CD player is) has the bmw-esque tilt towards the driver. The materials have a soft, high quality feel to them, and everything has been really well bolt together. I really like the steering wheel. For me, it's a perfect size, not too big, the stalks have a chunky, high quality feel about them, and I really like the positioning of the phone controls which you can access very easily with your left thumb. The bluetooth phone system is excellent, all of my contacts from my iphone now appear on the sat nav screen, I just touch whichever one i need, and press dial. Crystal clear clarity, which is all linked through the sound system. Fantastic. The cruise control and speed limter buttons on the right of the steering wheel are very convenient also. Theyre really easy to access and use, as are the controls for the ImID and audio, which are mirrored on the left hand section of the steering wheel. The speedo is fantastic!! This is my first civic (it wont be my last!) and i just love the digital speedo. I have had it in eco mode, and love the way it goes from blue to green to encourage better fuel efficiency. The climate control system is also excellent, and works really well. The es models have the digital dual zone climate control. Again, it is simple to use, it looks very smart, and most importantly it works properly! my wife likes it warm, I like it cool, you can definitely feel the difference! There's other little touches like the shift indicator light, the quality of the glovebox, the centre armrest, the seat belt information system, internal door/window control locks, the button to fold in the wing mirrors, I could go on......they all stack up to make this a brilliant place to be, and I know its sad, but i really look forward to my 22 mile daily commute to and from Manchester now! Overall for me the cabin has a bit of a spaceship feel about it! very futuristic, especially at night time. Everything (for me anyway) is perfectly laid out, it's all well balanced and high quality and most importantly it looks amazing - again, I'm delighted with this.

Next - the way it handles. I can only say one thing - WOW!! The IDTEC is amazing. it's very quick and the torque is very noticeable in pretty much every gear. I drove a Saab 93 2.0 turbo before my civic, and the civic would easily give it a run for its money in a drag race! The gear box is slick and smooth, and shifts really easily. There is hardly any road noise or wind noise, and it is a very assured, competent cruiser on the motorway, especially when using the cruise control. At 70 mph on the motorway, in 6th gear the engine spins at about 2000 rpm. So its very quiet and calm. It's very, very comfortable (especially compared to the Saab which was sometimes a bit of a back breaker) it eats up uneven road surfaces. There is a particularly bumpy section of the M62 near Manchester which I've always dreaded before, but I was amazed when I went over it in the civic, I barely noticed it! Off the motorway it's even better!! It doesnt have a specific sporty set up as such but you cant half chuck it into corners!! it handles superbly well on windy roads and I love whipping it round the country lanes of Cheshire!! With all the torque it has (and the constant temptation to use it - which I do!) you'd think it wouldnt be terribly efficient, but Im getting 62 mpg at the moment, which is brilliant considering its only a few weeks old. My weekly mileage is about 280, last week i used just over a third of a tank of diesel, and when I filled it up to the top on Monday morning of this week it cost me £24!! compare that to the Saab, which was costing £80 per week - no contest!!

Overall, i cant tell you how pleased I am with this car. I spent weeks test driving every car in the 'small family class' - focus, CMAX, megane, Golf (which I hated), Audi A3, volvo S40, Seat Leon, Hyundai 130 etc etc, but nothing for me came even close to the civic. It really is in a different class. The boot space is excellent, the sub boot, retractable wing mirrors and magic seats are quirky little touches that just make it even better.

This is a brilliant car. If youre humming and haa-ing (or whatever the phrase is!!) about whether or not to get one, then I hope my little review helps!!

Photo's to follow.
Thank You to Reverend from 11 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2012, 15:28
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Brilliant review and perfectly sums up the way I feel about mine... The point about the looks is so true... the 9th Gen def looks better in real life than pics.

A lot of the negative opinions are from people who have not spent time with one or may feel it devalues or undermines their 8th Gen is some way.

The quality (build and materials) and refinement have to be seen to be appreciated
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2012, 16:18
Supporter

Car: Milano Red CTR GT Plus
Great review I love my 9G. Yes it's not as pleasing on the eye as the 8G but it grows on you. There is alot of haters out there.

If you don't like it don't buy it

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2012, 20:06
Supporter

Good report and pleased you like the car and of course, its the best colour...

Much much more refined than the 8G... Enjoy...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2012, 23:14

It's been 2 1/2 years since I traded in my 57 plate Civic for my A3 Sportback and I'm looking at all options over the coming months for my next car and must admit my first impressions of the new Civic from pics were not great.

Spotted a silver 9G in Edinburgh yesterday (first I've seen in the flesh believe it or not) and apart from the lower back end, it looked a lot better than I expected.

Been keeping tabs on civinfo and always interested to read up on folks who've bought the new car and how they feel about it.

A cursory glance at the small family car sector and there is plenty of new models out this year from Volvo, Mercedes, Audi but some of the prices are becoming eye watering for entry level cars....

Cheers for posting your review Reverend, might well pay Brown Brothers in Peebles a visit soon for a closer look at the 9G.

One query for any who have asked a dealer is why all current 9G Civics have 16inch alloys as standard?
I thought the 8G looked better with 17inch wheels so was surprised to find for 9G 17inch wheels are a £1200 extra. That must be one of the priciest upgrade options I've seen from any car manufacturer or have I misread the spec options
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2012, 23:20
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
The EX-GT has 17" alloys as standard.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 00:01
Supporter

great review, i have mine just over 5 months now and agree with everything you said i only have a 4 minute drive to work in the mornings so i look for excuses to just go and drive anywhere i was at a roundabout yesterday and a 8th gen millano red pulled up at the opposite side, well they nearly crashed looking at my millano red as they went by,it was funny.
so after 5 months i honestly can't fault it in any way!!
oh and i love the its rear end (contraversial)
Thanks to gerryh2002 from:
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 13:40

Car: 2018 Civic 1.5T
Congratulations to Reverend on both choice of car and the well written review. I just completed 12,000 km with absolutely no issues.The only niggle I have is with the iMID awkardness in comparison to the simplicity of the 8G and Insight. Can you get a better combination of performance/economy/reliability/space utility/customer service?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 15:03
Supporter

Nice review Rev, am still not sure about the rear end so to speak, but that's about all the rest looks ok. Have not even sat in one yet so maybe I should.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 17:19

Brilliant Review

Thanks for a very concise review Reverand. I hope to be collecting my new 1.8 ES on 1st September. Though not the 'T' its will be much the same as yours. It will be my 5th Civic.
Hope you have a great experience with your new car.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 17:45

Car: 2017 SR CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJdali View Post
One query for any who have asked a dealer is why all current 9G Civics have 16inch alloys as standard?
My 8G-EX came with 17" wheels and the ride was very hard. When I drove an 8G with 16" wheels the ride difference was very noticeably better. One of the reasons I would not buy the 9G-EX was the 17" wheels. I am so pleased Honda realised that most people prefer a softer less bumpy ride rather than hard thumping 17" wheels that are also easy to curb and difficult to see when you have a puncture. New 16" tyres are also cheaper.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th August 2012, 18:17
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
My 8G-EX came with 17" wheels and the ride was very hard. When I drove an 8G with 16" wheels the ride difference was very noticeably better. One of the reasons I would not buy the 9G-EX was the 17" wheels. I am so pleased Honda realised that most people prefer a softer less bumpy ride rather than hard thumping 17" wheels that are also easy to curb and difficult to see when you have a puncture. New 16" tyres are also cheaper.
The ride on 16" must be amazing, because the ride on my 17" wheels compared to my old 8th gen on 17" wheels is a vast improvement.... Shows how good the suspension is now
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 09:04
Supporter

Car: 2013 2.2 EX GT (WOP)
Great review

It's reviews like this that have convinced me I've made the right choice in car.

I've ordered the Civic 2.2 EX GT in Orchid White (expected delivery June 2013) and ever since, have been trawling through the internet reading mixed reviews. Whatcar will have you buy a Golf... neither do I play golf, like golf or would drive a golf.

This review has restored my faith in Civic and that first feeling you get when stepping into the Star Trek Enterprise Mk 2. I have the 8th Gen 2.2 EX but can't wait for the new one to turn up.

I test drove the 2.2 EX GT for a weekend and I have to say I didnt want to hand it back... again, great review.... 5 weeks and counting.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 14:33
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel19thfeb View Post
It's reviews like this that have convinced me I've made the right choice in car.
It's a good car. Really. And in the long run should be more reliable than most direct competitors.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 14:39
Supporter

Angry ignore the 5 weeks and counting

Scrap my previous post of 5 weeks and counting for delivery of my 2013 Civic 2.2 EX GT.... just been informed it will be 1st week in September 2013... ouch, thats knocked the wind out of my sails

Last edited by Daniel19thfeb; 24th April 2013 at 14:56.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 14:54
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8, MT
Quote:
Scrap my previous post of 5 weeks and counting for delivery of my 2013 Civic 2.2 EX GT.... just been informed it will be 1st week in September 2013... ouch, thats knocked the wind out of my sails
I'd be angry as hell. Can you tell them go stuff themselves and turn to another dealer?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 14:57
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePL View Post
I'd be angry as hell. Can you tell them go stuff themselves and turn to another dealer?
I've got my lease company on it as we speak... I am told all civics are currently made to order unless I want one off a forecourt (which I dont like the idea of unless it has less than 0.5 miles on the clock getting it on and off the lorry..... should find out more tomorrow.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 15:01
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Made to order ? !

What to read into that?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 15:04
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Made to order ? !

What to read into that?
Heaven only knows, its not like I've asked for any extras, not that you need any in the GT. Someone mumbled it was to do with the delay in parts from Japan to Swindon... twoddle as far as I am concerned.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 24th April 2013, 16:08
Supporter

Quote:
Heaven only knows, its not like I've asked for any extras, not that you need any in the GT. Someone mumbled it was to do with the delay in parts from Japan to Swindon... twoddle as far as I am concerned.
That could cost Honda a few customers

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page