Civic 9th Gen 2.2 (review) - Civinfo
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 29th August 2012, 14:10 Thread Starter

Car: FN2 GT
Civic 9th Gen 2.2 (review)

SO my car has gone in for a roof respray because of the common fault i posted in this forum "rusty roof recall"

Bassets Honda have now given me a new 9th gen to drive about for 3 days or so for courtesy, its a 2.2 diesel (red) with " magic seats!" as this is something a lot of people seem to hype about.

So first impressions are slightly confusing i like the front but not the side or the back.The car is red with the black plastic trim thats something a lot of current owners find quite annoying as the black tends to go a lovely Silver / Grey colour after a few years if you don't keep spending on products to keep the deep black shine also it does look somewhat "tacky" against the red ( i thought since they started to colour code the 8th gen civic this may have been ditched for the 9th gen?)

Further inspection of the car the tax is 15 quid a year due to the cars new shape and refined "eco" footprint ( i like this ). The car has new aero dynamics that help reach its goal of being more efficient, the lights at the back have been shaped specifically like that and not just put there to better the air flow and if you notice there are plastic strips ont the body work just below the lights ( they wont be there on the petrol models ) this is for air flow also again to achieve its low tax banding.

The outside of the car and side profiles are not for everyones taste, however the front of the car in my option is looking good. The front shape of the lights and the grill is quite aggressive for the standard model especially with the DRM lights thats become standard on all the models of the 9th generation. Looking back at the 8th generation the styling was pretty varied from the start all the way to the end of line with the grill and bumpers being changed and colour coding being added on the late models, i can pretty much see the new civic going the same way!

**Interior **

First impressions of the interior are not as good as when i first sat in the 8th generation civic. You're welcomed with the more edgy dashboard and yes in a way its more directed to the driver but without the spaceship sleek look of the last model. I was impressed that Honda had listened to the customer and installed a reverse camera for the car, i guess that the spoiler was and still is an obstruction to the driver ( however it needs to be there to meet eco footprint).

The gear stick was not placed in any strange place other than where it should be unlike the 7th gen stuck on the dash board, it has now become set and a slight angle towards the driver.. this is difficult to explain but if you test drive one you will see what i mean. A slight change to the handbrake area it is now over the other side of the slider box shown in the photos below, confusing if your use to the 8th gen!.

Another part of the interior that i instantly noticed was the strange air vents, they are now looking like something from a ford KA or a fiesta.

Another crazy feature is the seat that have the biggest head rest i have ever seen! This will probably change in other variants of the car especially the Type R as there would be no way these seats could keep you " seated" taking a corner at speed. On the other hand i did find them quite comfortable driving normal on the way home.

**The Drive**

The car has a 2.2 diesel engine that is more refined that the older version found in the 8th gen civic's being more efficient and quieter!. I do like the way Honda have taken a step towards being more "green" to our planet by combining effective styling and new technology.
There is no start button anymore its now been changed so that you have to hold your foot on the clutch and then turn the ignition key to start, i guess this will stop some people jerking the car forward because it has been left in gear ( hats a few less insurance claims " thanks Honda" )

The car has 10bhp more than the last engine so the figure show on the manufacturers print out. With the drive home i have plenty of opportunity to test the car with how it handles on windy roads and the motorway i can safely say that its well built and you can feel that right from the very start.

The aggressiveness of the car has changed, i don't know if this is related to the weight of the car or if this is a change in the gear ratios. First and second gear is very punchy then the rest of the gears you feel the smooth speed acceleration, lets just say you dont feel like the car is doing the speed you are. In my honest opinion the 8th gen civic has a more RAW punch engine that has crazy torque steer in 1st and 2nd gear and a more prominent pull on the turbo throughout the rest of the gears.

I would not buy this particular model, however this is the first day of driving and there are other models out there to choose from. When you compare this car against its rivals there is no question that Honda are trying to be different and stand out and thats a good ting because they really have with this car

I will post more thoughts on this thread throughout the time i have the car, i hope this helps someone thats looking to check one of these 9th gen's out.

Keep you posted!
caledonia84 likes this.

Last edited by CTDI; 29th August 2012 at 14:50.
Thanks to CTDI from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 10:40
Supporter

Car: Milano Red CTR GT Plus
Nice review
Thanks to pjones19 from:
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 11:39
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Don't know why the tax is 15 a year as all the diesels i've taxed are 0!!

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 12:06
Supporter

Car: Milano Red CTR GT Plus
Mine is 0 for the 1st year then 20 after that. Not bad for a 2.2 150bhp car
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 15:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones19 View Post
Nice review
Thanks,took a while to write it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 21:14
Supporter

CTDI: Did you not like the idle stop?
Thanks to Bob H from:
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 22:10
Riq

Car: 2007 1.8 Type-S, Silver
I just think the new Civi is such a disappointment to look at and only available in 5 doors too
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 22:43

Car: 2009 1.8 EX GT, DSB
Whilst my 8th gen civic was in at the dealer to have some checks done, I went and sat in a 9th gen in the show room.

When I sat in the new shape i found the drivers seat was set high so I tried to lower it only to find that the the seat was set in the lowest position possible!!!! In addition i also found that the drivers seat doesn't go far back as i would like it to go.

Has anyone else noticed this? The civic I sat in was a EX GT which had some buttons on the side for electrical adjustment. I take it the electrical motors in the seat is preventing the seat from being set any lower!!!
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th August 2012, 23:27
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT Crystal Black
I go 6' and no problem for me!
Thanks to Alwaysblack from:
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 08:47
Arfurs right hand man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysblack View Post
I go 6' and no problem for me!
same here, no probs at all, operator error methinks, battery was probably disconnected lol
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 09:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
CTDI: Did you not like the idle stop?
Its crazy,i thought i stalled the car! Not sure if i like it ?

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 09:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy View Post
Whilst my 8th gen civic was in at the dealer to have some checks done, I went and sat in a 9th gen in the show room.

When I sat in the new shape i found the drivers seat was set high so I tried to lower it only to find that the the seat was set in the lowest position possible!!!! In addition i also found that the drivers seat doesn't go far back as i would like it to go.

Has anyone else noticed this? The civic I sat in was a EX GT which had some buttons on the side for electrical adjustment. I take it the electrical motors in the seat is preventing the seat from being set any lower!!!
Not had a look at this yet,i am sure the seat is lowest it can go... I am 6ft so it needs to be.

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 09:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
I just think the new Civi is such a disappointment to look at and only available in 5 doors too
There is not a big demand for 3dr anymore,the type r will have 5 and i guess they need to beef the engine up because the car is heavy.. The 8th gen 2.2 is a lot quicker IMO. its like a touring car look now 5dr blacked out rear windows.

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 09:39
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDI View Post
There is not a big demand for 3dr anymore,the type r will have 5 and i guess they need to beef the engine up because the car is heavy.. The 8th gen 2.2 is a lot quicker IMO. its like a touring car look now 5dr blacked out rear windows.

Exactly... What a lot of CTR owners forget is Honda make other Civics and that the CTR is a niche car. The majority of Civics sold will be 5dr family/rep cars.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 09:42
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy View Post

The height and recline are not electric, only bolster and lumber.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 09:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
Exactly... What a lot of CTR owners forget is Honda make other Civics and that the CTR is a niche car. The majority of Civics sold will be 5dr family/rep cars.
If i get the 9th gen it would be slamed with the touring car look.i am sure the type r and other variations of styling will be released in the years to come and lets not forget MUGEN.

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 10:06
Train Driver Stu

Car: Insignia 1.8 SRi Nav Carbon
The steering wheel is so ugly. I really liked the 8th gen one.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 10:23
Arfurs right hand man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotstu20000 View Post
The steering wheel is so ugly. I really liked the 8th gen one.
Its round and slightly fatter, how does that make it 'so' ugly rather than just plain ugly or I dont like its design? its actually better to drive with than the anorexic 1970's width one that was on the 8th gen. try it.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 11:09
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
Its round and slightly fatter, how does that make it 'so' ugly rather than just plain ugly or I dont like its design? its actually better to drive with than the anorexic 1970's width one that was on the 8th gen. try it.
+1
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 31st August 2012, 14:56
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR GT Milano
Nice review, shame the car is SO damn UGLY.
Thank You to BBigGG from 2 Users:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page