Had a test drive in the 1.8 Auto "Sport" Trim - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 15th October 2012, 11:35 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
Had a test drive in the 1.8 Auto "Sport" Trim

Hi all,

The day before yesterday I was lucky enough to have a test drive in the 1.8 auto "Sport" trim (equivalent of the UK ES trim, I think).

Negatives:

I'm 6 ft. 1", and then adjusted, I found that when looking out the windscreen, in the top of my view, I had to much of the roof/sun visor in my line of sight. Still, a little more time adjusting the front seat MIGHT solve this problem. Lowering the seat too much, however, meant that my view to the speedometer was blocked.

The front doesn't look particularly good, however, if the rest of the car is good, I can live with the front.

The back spoiler: blocking some of the view, but to be honest, I didn't find it that much of a problem.

As some of you may know, this Civic is up against a Toyota Auris Hybrid (2013), and there is no denying that the Civic looses heavily on MPG.

Side mirrors seem small compared to my Suzuki Swift. The ones on the Civic have less of a "frame" to them.

Neutral:

The engine: before testing the car, I was nervous whether or not the 1.8 would be too slow for me. However, seeing as I am in no way a petrol head (actually quite a slow driver), I am happy to repport that the engine has more than enough power on tap for me. I did notice the accelerator vibrating a little when passing the 4K rev mark though. Is this normal?

The auto box: in one way it was pleasant compared to the Toyota/Subaru CVT as it is not noisy like those. But it drinks a LITTLE petrol in return.

Space in the back: I WAS able to "sit behind myself" although this would not be very comfortable on long journeys. The space will be just fine for 6 month old son, wife and my mother and then my father and I can sit in the front.

Positives:

I may be the first to write this but I like the new rear end a lot better then the one found on the 8th. gen!
Loads of space in the boot- don't need a wagon to carry a pram in the boot!
Very nice wheel and overall a quality cabin. Until now, I have test driven Yaris Hybrid, Auris Hybrid, Subaru Legacy and Civic. Civic's got the best quality cabin imo.
I normally don't like digital speedometers but the one in the Civic is very clear and bright.
Car is refined and low road noise.

Would I buy it?

Right now the civic is on offer in Denmark: -10 per cent compared to the normal price. This reduction means That I could buy petrol for aprox. six years before the Civic would break even with the purchase price of the Auris Hybrid. So, IF I was allowed to change my handicap car now and get the reduced price on the Civic, I would definitely get the Civic of the Hybrids. Sadly, my municipality won't give me the go before eight months from now at the earliest, and buy then, The civic will no longer be on offer but cost the same as the Auris Hybrid.

In that case, the only cost benefit of the Civic would be that I would have to go for the wagon style Auris. But with the extra MPGs the small extra cost of the Wagon, it will break even with the Civic after 2 or three years, and I'm keeping the car for at least 6 years.

So, if I was to swap now, at the Civics current discounted price, out of the cars I have test driven, I would buy the Civic no questions asked but if the price of the Civic will be equivalent to that of the Toyota Hybrid, I may be forced to go with the Hybrid- but for financial reasons only. If However, I can haggle the price of the civic to minus 10 per cent, Civic it will be!
Thanks to nicolaidenmark from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 15th October 2012, 15:11
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaidenmark View Post
Hi all,

The day before yesterday I was lucky enough to have a test drive in the 1.8 auto "Sport" trim (equivalent of the UK ES trim, I think).

Negatives:

I'm 6 ft. 1", and then adjusted, I found that when looking out the windscreen, in the top of my view, I had to much of the roof/sun visor in my line of sight. Still, a little more time adjusting the front seat MIGHT solve this problem. Lowering the seat too much, however, meant that my view to the speedometer was blocked.

The front doesn't look particularly good, however, if the rest of the car is good, I can live with the front.

The back spoiler: blocking some of the view, but to be honest, I didn't find it that much of a problem.

As some of you may know, this Civic is up against a Toyota Auris Hybrid (2013), and there is no denying that the Civic looses heavily on MPG.

Side mirrors seem small compared to my Suzuki Swift. The ones on the Civic have less of a "frame" to them.

Neutral:

The engine: before testing the car, I was nervous whether or not the 1.8 would be too slow for me. However, seeing as I am in no way a petrol head (actually quite a slow driver), I am happy to repport that the engine has more than enough power on tap for me. I did notice the accelerator vibrating a little when passing the 4K rev mark though. Is this normal?

The auto box: in one way it was pleasant compared to the Toyota/Subaru CVT as it is not noisy like those. But it drinks a LITTLE petrol in return.

Space in the back: I WAS able to "sit behind myself" although this would not be very comfortable on long journeys. The space will be just fine for 6 month old son, wife and my mother and then my father and I can sit in the front.

Positives:

I may be the first to write this but I like the new rear end a lot better then the one found on the 8th. gen!
Loads of space in the boot- don't need a wagon to carry a pram in the boot!
Very nice wheel and overall a quality cabin. Until now, I have test driven Yaris Hybrid, Auris Hybrid, Subaru Legacy and Civic. Civic's got the best quality cabin imo.
I normally don't like digital speedometers but the one in the Civic is very clear and bright.
Car is refined and low road noise.

Would I buy it?

Right now the civic is on offer in Denmark: -10 per cent compared to the normal price. This reduction means That I could buy petrol for aprox. six years before the Civic would break even with the purchase price of the Auris Hybrid. So, IF I was allowed to change my handicap car now and get the reduced price on the Civic, I would definitely get the Civic of the Hybrids. Sadly, my municipality won't give me the go before eight months from now at the earliest, and buy then, The civic will no longer be on offer but cost the same as the Auris Hybrid.

In that case, the only cost benefit of the Civic would be that I would have to go for the wagon style Auris. But with the extra MPGs the small extra cost of the Wagon, it will break even with the Civic after 2 or three years, and I'm keeping the car for at least 6 years.

So, if I was to swap now, at the Civics current discounted price, out of the cars I have test driven, I would buy the Civic no questions asked but if the price of the Civic will be equivalent to that of the Toyota Hybrid, I may be forced to go with the Hybrid- but for financial reasons only. If However, I can haggle the price of the civic to minus 10 per cent, Civic it will be!
Nice write up

Your point about the rear is interesting as I was thinking about it over the weekend after seeing my car parked next to an 8g. IMO the 9g looks better as it does not just drop away.. the car looks longer and more elegant. OK, directly from the rear it can look a bit odd, but from all other angles it looks good.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the looks of my two 8g's, but the 8g does look a bit fussy and dated now
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 15th October 2012, 15:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.3 AMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
Nice write up

Your point about the rear is interesting as I was thinking about it over the weekend after seeing my car parked next to an 8g. IMO the 9g looks better as it does not just drop away.. the car looks longer and more elegant. OK, directly from the rear it can look a bit odd, but from all other angles it looks good.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the looks of my two 8g's, but the 8g does look a bit fussy and dated now
You're welcome. Even though I'm not buying until a year from now at the earliest, the Civic is in the lead. Damn petrol prices!

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page