Civic 1.8 review - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 9th December 2012, 10:19 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8, MT
Civic 1.8 review

So, after week and a half of driving a 9th gen Civic 1.8, here’s a short review of the car.

Exterior:
Car look much better seen in real life, than in pictures. For those, who don’t like the design – I would encourage you to see the car somewhere – you may change your opinion. Body panels seem to be well-fitted. I don’t like the gaps around the hatch door. You can almost put a finger in there. The door should be fitted more tightly in my opinion. But other than that, everything’s fine for me.

Interior:
Overall feeling of good quality. Everything’s seem to be well put together. Materials are also very good – soft dashboard! I really like the design and love the rev gauge in the center. Nice thump sound when closing the doors is reassuring. Good “hugging”, sporty seats. What I (or my passengers from the back seats) don’t like is the fact, that under the front seats there’s no place for feet. Passengers at the back can’t stretch their legs.

Controls are, generally, well-placed. Climate control buttons could be located higher and made bigger, perhaps – I always have to look first, before I change the temperature. Radio on/off button is placed in a stupid place among the radio station change buttons and is quite small.

Could do with more storage place in the cabin. Glove box is pretty big but aside from the armrest compartment and door-side pockets this is basically it.
The boot is huge! And when I say huge, I mean HUGE!

Engine:
Engine is still a little bit tight, but it’s getting smoother and more powerful with every driven kilometer. It’s barely audible on idle, has nice gurgling sound up to 4k rpm. Above 4k rpm it’s typical 4 pot vacuum cleaner sound. i-Vtec here works by turning into something like eco mode, from my observation, below 3k rpm, if you take it easy on the accelerator. It’s very quiet then. When you press it harder, there’s sometimes a slight hesitation and then the engine starts to pull quite strongly, with a sporty sound.

The engine seems a little bit sleepy up to 4k rpm. Above that there’s a small wave of power coming in. The bigger one comes after around 5.3k rpm. I haven’t redlined it yet but in higher revs, the engine is quite strong. I have to say I like this sleepiness in lower revs, because it lets you drive the car very smoothly, and then if you want, turn into a naughty mode, by waiting with the gear change a little longer. It's not a speed demon, but effortlessly propels the car.

Econ button? No way. Throttle response is so week, that it can be dangerous and certainly irritating. In heavy traffic you can never close that gap before somebody pulls out in front of you. Now I know how truck drivers feel. The economy is not worth the stress.

Start/stop button? It’s good if you stop for more than 10 seconds, but I found it shutting off the engine on every stop, which is irritating if you drive in a traffic jam and you start and stop every few seconds for a long time. It stops even a cold engine in winter which is, for many reasons, stupid. I’d like to be able to program it so that it does not engage automatically with every ignition. I don’t like turning it off each time I start the engine and would prefer to just turn it on when I feel it’s of some use.

But overall, engine is smooth, has a nice pull in higher revs, has pleasant sound, and is quiet when treated gently.

Fuel consumption? 9.4-10l/100km (on the computer) (90% heavy traffic) but the engine is still not fully run in and I have a heavy foot.

Ride:
Stiff, sporty, the body feels firm and very well put together. The car goes where you want it to go. It gives you a lot of confidence. People criticizing the use of a torsion beam should drive the civic before they start bitching. The suspension, although sporty, takes even the bigger potholes with a reassuring thump. When driving above 130 kph on bumpy surfaces the car becomes fidgety because of the stiffness. Softer suspension would take the bumps in.

However, in spite of the stiffness, the ride is quite comfy.
Few turns from lock to lock allows for good tight-space maneuverability. Also, every movement of the steering wheel is translated into a correction of the car’s route. There’s no dead-play.

VSA system is late to intervene but it's OK with me. When it does it seems quite brutal in extreme situations but maybe it should. It can, for example, slow a wheel to stop the car from understeering.

Brakes are OK.

Back visibility through the back window is poor, but I got used to it. The wing mirrors are so big (like in a van!), that it’s not a problem.

To sum up:
+Smooth engine
+Great suspension
+Quiet cabin
+Great design, that grows on you
+Very good quality

-Suspension can be fidgety in straight line on bumps at higher speeds
-Low roof line at the back, and lack of free space under front seats not good for tall passengers

Last edited by MikePL; 9th December 2012 at 12:24.
Thank You to MikePL from 5 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 9th December 2012, 10:40

Car: 2007 2.2 ES CTDI
Great review. Thanks for that MikePL.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 9th December 2012, 20:08

Car: 2008 ES 1.8 i-VTEC i-Shift
Nice write up.

I don't think the start/stop system should shut down a cold engine. I think quite a few conditions have to be met for it to activate, so I'd just leave it to do its stuff.

The system on my Civic IMA was immediate, and after a while you just left it to do its thing and eventually I forgot about it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 9th December 2012, 21:25 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgerx View Post
Nice write up.

I don't think the start/stop system should shut down a cold engine. I think quite a few conditions have to be met for it to activate, so I'd just leave it to do its stuff.
Unfortunately, a few times it did stop the engine when the needle on water temp gauge was still down. I don't think it should do that too. Anyway, I don't like this gimmick. Maybe on a hybrid it's better.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th December 2012, 13:30
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePL View Post
Unfortunately, a few times it did stop the engine when the needle on water temp gauge was still down. I don't think it should do that too. Anyway, I don't like this gimmick. Maybe on a hybrid it's better.
Nice review thanks

With the stop start I have had a 1.4 for a week( whilst mine was in for work) and from cold a notice came up on the dash that the auto stop was not available at that time, presumably because the engine was cold, when warmed up though the auto stop worked as normal.
With regard to the Eco button I have to agree with you no power at all, but that's why it's called Eco I suppose
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th December 2012, 15:16
Tormented by Mods

Car: 2010 1.5 CR-Z CBP Sport
see i dont understsand the stop start function, in my CR-Z it works perfectly goes off and on at lights at junctions if im waiting but never in traffic unless you are stood still waiting but that only if you have been idle for a min or more you would of thought is they nailed it in the CR-Z they have same in the civic beats me great write up tho really interesting
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th December 2012, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by okehciv View Post
Nice review thanks

With the stop start I have had a 1.4 for a week( whilst mine was in for work) and from cold a notice came up on the dash that the auto stop was not available at that time, presumably because the engine was cold, when warmed up though the auto stop worked as normal.
With regard to the Eco button I have to agree with you no power at all, but that's why it's called Eco I suppose

Power output is exactly the same whether eco is on or off. Infact, if you did a 0-60 test you'd find the times were the same.

The main difference is the sensitivity and rate of progression on the throttle. In Eco mode it will have the effect of smoothing out throttle inputs - at the first 50% of the travel you'll have to be pushing it down more to get the same response, but by the time your foot is flat down, it will be identical.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th December 2012, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLEA CIVIC si View Post
see i dont understsand the stop start function, in my CR-Z it works perfectly goes off and on at lights at junctions if im waiting but never in traffic unless you are stood still waiting but that only if you have been idle for a min or more you would of thought is they nailed it in the CR-Z they have same in the civic beats me great write up tho really interesting

The CRZ system has the benefit of an electric motor strapped to the engine - it can spool up the engine faster and quieter than the auto stop in the standard Civic: which is effectively using an uprated starter motor and battery. The IMA system is a different thing really.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th December 2012, 18:06
Supporter

Thanked 1,035 Times in 1,016 Posts
nice review mate
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th December 2012, 18:13 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLEA CIVIC si View Post
Even a sales guy at the dealer's said he finds the system irritating in very heavy traffic, where you drive 10 meters, stop for a few seconds, drive 10 meters again and stop again. You get a crazy number of engine starts and stops in such a situation. In the end, it makes you hold the clutch pedal pressed much longer because you see the cars further in front already moving and you know that the "engine stop" time will be just 3 seconds. I turn it on only, when I know, I'm going to wait for a few long lights changes and I won't need to start and stop every few secs.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11th December 2012, 11:45

I have never understood why people find it irritating.

You aren't having to do anything extra - the only thing that is different is that you can hear the engine start and stop.

There is no delay with most of these systems, by the time you have the clutch in the engine has beat you to it - so you aren't waiting for it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11th December 2012, 12:35 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgerx View Post
I have never understood why people find it irritating.
Can't help you here. I simply don't like the engine shutting off every few seconds. I can't believe it improves economy and, in the long run, in winter conditions, is good for the car. On longer stops it might be OK, but not in the case described above.

Last edited by MikePL; 11th December 2012 at 12:57.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11th December 2012, 13:36

Quote:
Can't help you here. I simply don't like the engine shutting off every few seconds. I can't believe it improves economy and, in the long run, in winter conditions, is good for the car. On longer stops it might be OK, but not in the case described above.

Ultimately it is down to manufacturer testing.

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't put time and money into engineering uprated starter motors, batteries and alternators if it made no difference. If you do a lot of town driving you will see greater gains. If you look at cars that can be optioned with/without it, the mpg/Co2 is better on the autostop versions.

Eventually all cars are going to have it in some form - whether it be basic autostop, mild or full hybrid. So it is going to be something every driver is going to get used to
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th December 2012, 17:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Review update

Putting on more kilometers resulted in a drop in fuel consumtion.

Now, the engine is revving freely and feels very smooth. I really like the acceleration sound.

When driving quite fast on a motorway I discovered that the car is rather on the noisy side, however winter Pirelli's may add to the noise. I expected the new civic to be quieter. What's interesting, when you go over 165 kph, the noise seems to level off and stop increasing in spite of the rising speed. It might be the sound barrier or sth.

Last edited by MikePL; 31st December 2012 at 13:10.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 31st December 2012, 03:27

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
How have you found the overall stability at 165 kmh? Is the car jittery?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 31st December 2012, 10:42 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

On good roads the car is not jittery but side wind can be a real problem at higher speeds. Up to 130-140 kmh (80-85 mph) it's OK however, when you pass 160 kmh (around 100 mph) you have to be really concentrated in windy weather. Tested it up to around 190 kmh (118 mph). Apart form the noise, the cross wind sensitivity was a little bit disappointing but maybe I expected to much.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 26th June 2013, 17:27 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Update

So, after almost 7 months and almost 10000 kilometers driven (some of which on winding mountain roads) I can confirm all the good things I've written about the car and say it's really fun to drive, predictable when pushed to and beyond the grip limit, and quite fast when driven like it should be. It really is a joy to drive on mountain roads, and fast enough on motorways.

I have to say it again: it really is a great car.
Thanks to MikePL from:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 27th June 2013, 15:43

Car: 2012, 2.2 I-DTEC, EXEC
Quote:
On good roads the car is not jittery but side wind can be a real problem at higher speeds. Up to 130-140 kmh (80-85 mph) it's OK however, when you pass 160 kmh (around 100 mph) you have to be really concentrated in windy weather. Tested it up to around 190 kmh (118 mph). Apart form the noise, the cross wind sensitivity was a little bit disappointing but maybe I expected to much.
I cant say that it is much better or worse than other cars but I agree on one point, you have to be pretty focused when driving above 225 km/h as well
I'm no expert but I assume the rims and tires have some effect on cross wind sensitivity. I have 225/40 advan tires on 18 inch rims which felt nice and stable at those speeds compared to many other cars (on other tires) I have driven.

Yes it's a really great car
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th June 2013, 02:25

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
I agree and I can confirm that after lowering the car on H&R's it is still comfortable but very predictable and is glued to uneven bumpy roads even at 180 km/h. That's how far I have pushed it and it was the end of the road. A twisty unpopulated road with a long "straight" at the countryside that yells fasteeeerr.
The 1.8 feels slow after a point and like it would never reach it's top speed of 215km/h but the acceleration from stand still is ok and the throttle response is great.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 15:29 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Yes, the throttle response is very good and driving on twisty mountain roads a real joy. I had tons of fun with this car last week.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page