Finally test drived the 1.6 i-DTEC! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2013, 10:08 Thread Starter

Car: 2009 1.8 I-VTEC Galaxy Grey
Eco display Eco display
Finally test drived the 1.6 i-DTEC!

Months after the 2.2 i-DTEC and the 1.8 petrol, now finally got the time to test drive the new 1.6 engine yesterday.

I got some mixed feelings about the car. I (partly) agree with most of you, in the point that in casual driving the differences between the 1.6 and 2.2 engines are almost imperceptible, but as soon as you floor the pedal to the ground you quickly realise which one you are driving. The 1.6 gives a good punch around 2000rpm, but from there on it just looses it's breath, I find the 2.2 liking to rev a little more, stronger all the way.

In relation to the 9G in general, the 1.6 was needed to fill the gap in the range, and I guess it will sell well. It's price is not that good, though (in Golf range).

Being a 09' facelifted 1.8 i-VTEC 8G owner for the past 2 years, there are as many things improved, as others that I don't like as much as in the previous generation.

Interior: Don't get why Honda used some lower quality plastics around the dash and in the doors. I hate that hazard button. Loved the layout of the dials and buttons in the 8G, much more driver oriented than the 9G. The i-MID display looks cheap. The steering wheel is a major downgrade, the 8G is just perfect in grip, size, leather quality and design, the 9G is just worst in every way. The seats fabrics are better in the 9G.

Exterior: I like the 9G design, as much as the 8G one. I believe that in a few years the 9G will age better, of course.

Handling: I don't find the 9G cornering better than the 8G, but it surely handles the road bumps better, less harsh, more comfy.

Transmission and steering: The steering is a bit more vague in the 9G, with less feedback. The gearbox is MUCH improved over the clunky 8G one.

Practicality: 8G is better here. More room in the rear seats, bigger boot, huge glovebox. The problem with the angled rear doors (causing some head impact entering the car) is still there in the 9G, they improved it but not that much really.

Key: Finally, a foldable key fob. But why is it SO big?

For me, and in conclusion, at the end of the day when I'm back at my 1.8, it's so much better. No punches, completely linear power delivery. Silent and smooth at lower revs, past 4000rpms and it remembers you that it's a VTEC engine, roaring to 7000rpm. I'm keeping my 1.8 as long as I can, I guess!

Sorry for my poor english!
Thank You to turbox from 3 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2013, 12:45
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbox View Post
Don't get why Honda used some lower quality plastics around the dash and in the doors. I hate that hazard button.
I have disagree with this... having owned 2 8g's, the 9g's materials and build quality is a big improvement. Check the reviews (inc. Pottsy's) and Honda sales blurb... I agree about the hazard button though!

Quote:
8G is better here. More room in the rear seats, bigger boot, huge glovebox. The problem with the angled rear doors (causing some head impact entering the car) is still there in the 9G, they improved it but not that much really.
The angled doors on both 8g and 9g are due to the coupe like design, the rear leg room is the same as is the boot (except models with a sub - even then a marginal difference). 8g Sat Nav models had fairly small gloveboxes due to the DVD drive, so I have gained space in my 9g lol. The new style tilting forward design is a bit easier to use if your the driver. The reason it is different is the 9 has a much better and advanced heater/aircon system and it extends behind the glovebox.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd February 2013, 12:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 1.8 I-VTEC Galaxy Grey
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
I have disagree with this... having owned 2 8g's, the 9g's materials and build quality is a big improvement. Check the reviews (inc. Pottsy's) and Honda sales blurb... I agree about the hazard button though!
Generally, the plastics are good, the top of the dash stands out with that rubbery feel, very good. But the ones on top of the dials just look cheap and hard. As well as the ones surrounding the windows buttons on the doors, when I first saw the interior of the 9G I immediately noticed this. These same door plastics were improved in the facelifted 8G (darker color and much better finish, instead of the previous ones that horribly faded to white after just a couple of years). In my opinion, in these particular spots, they downgraded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
The angled doors on both 8g and 9g are due to the coupe like design, the rear leg room is the same as is the boot (except models with a sub - even then a marginal difference). 8g Sat Nav models had fairly small gloveboxes due to the DVD drive, so I have gained space in my 9g lol. The new style tilting forward design is a bit easier to use if your the driver. The reason it is different is the 9 has a much better and advanced heater/aircon system and it extends behind the glovebox.
I said the boot was smaller regarding previous comments from other users here, that had the 8G and noticed a little loss there. In relation to leg room, yesterday I was pretty sure that it was in fact smaller, maybe some other time I can adjust the front seat in the same way in two cars and compare again.
In my case I don't have SatNav in my 8G, so I can put a backpack in the glovebox

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in