My Review of the 1.6 i-DTEC EX Civic - Civinfo
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 8th May 2013, 09:46 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Mercedes c350e Estate
My Review of the 1.6 i-DTEC EX Civic

I have had my 9th gen 1.6 i-DTEC for 7 weeks now and am very pleased.

I had a 2.2 i-CTDI ES before so there is a lot more kit on this one and it's also more refined, quieter and smoother.

The driving experience is definitely more leaned towards comfort driving than driving feel, it's a much easier car to drive but the steering lacks the feel on the 8th gen. My wife didn't enjoy driving my old Civic but it's a different story with this one.

The parking camera and all round parking sensors really do help out when getting into tight parking spaces.

The Sat Nav seems pretty good, though does seem to treat some mini roundabouts like they are not there, having it always there and having traffic info is really handy. The bluetooth streaming audio and USB interface are good, though bizarrely while my old ES stereo handled all the files in the root folder, for this one I have had to put them all in folders as there appears to be a 255 file per folder limit with this stereo.

Gear change is much slicker than the old Civic, the start stop works well too, clutch I have found is similar to the old one, no problems there.

Fuel economy as mentioned in another post is below what I had expected, am getting 60-63mpg on mixed driving routes, I reckon 70mpg is probably achievable on a motorway run but given Honda say 78.5mpg for mixed driving it's a little disappointing.

I have found the performance of the 1.6 to be above what I had expected, it feels as sprightly as our 1.6 petrol Astra (115bhp) on general town driving and definitely has more grunt for overtaking/motorway use.

One thing you can't do is pull off in 2nd, used to be able to do that with the 2.2....the 1.6 does not like it, it will do it but will grumble and barely accelerate, this is to be expected from the smaller engine I guess.

The leather seats are nice enough, the boot space is huge once again (though is 18 litres smaller than my old one, 10 litres of which is the subwoofer....which adds a bit of bass without vibrating the rear wiper off).

They have changed the wipes from the wipe to the edegs ones to the more traditional style, which is a shame....have also lost the panoramic glass roof and the start button....no major issues there really but the glass roof was nice in the summer.

The glove box has gotten a lot smaller, this is quite disappointing, though the door storage has improved particularly on the back doors.

The centre console bin now has a "gas lift" type operation, they must have seen the lifting of the old one to be just too much effort.

I haven't tried the video input or playing a DVD on it yet, seems crazy, but why not eh!

Took a little while to get used to putting the clutch down on starting, now I end up doing it in our Astra too, my wife instead gets in and presses the eco button expecting it to start like the old one ha ha.

I love the Aero alloys, I definitely prefer them over the standard ES/EX alloys.

I test drove the 2.2 and I thought it was good but didn't blow me away, it was similar to my old 2.2.....I do feel the lighter 1.6 engine has improved the handling quite a bit.

I don't think this engine has the same friction as a petrol, it's getting there, but you still know there is a diesel up front, it's noticeably quieter than the old 2.2 and worlds apart from the chugging 1.7 CTDI engine we had in our previous Corsa.

You can upload a wallpaper onto the upper screen, though it's a bit hit and miss, it's quite fussy even if you get the resolution right, good for a laugh though.

I find resetting the trip computer very painful compared to the previous model, you have to navigate around menus rather than just hold down a reset....since my trip computer lies about the mpg, giving me inflated figures so far, I am not monitoring it so much.

The climate controls are much better than the previous model, there is a straightforward on/off and it tells you which vent you have selected when it's off. On the old model I found that if you didn't want to use Auto, when you set it up and then turned it off you couldn't just turn it back on with those settings if you know what I mean.

You can also voice control the Climate Control with the usual world of voice control success....."Set Temperature 19 degrees" ...... Car replies "Set Temperature 26 degrees".

Am loving the new Benefit in Kind value as it's a company car, even though the value of the car is nearly 4k higher than my old one, thanks to it's 13% BIK value (old one is 22% in this tax year) I am paying about 25% less each month in tax on it.

If i think of any more noteworthy points will post them.
abhaslaj likes this.
Thank You to TheCorm from 5 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 9th May 2013, 15:22

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
A good review of the 1.6 Diesel.

You can reset the trip computer to zero by briefly pushing in the instrument brightness stalk.

Didn't know that you could use voice command for the climate control. Not that I'll use it as I don't have the steering wheel HFT Bluetooth system fitted.

Last edited by Vti07; 9th May 2013 at 15:26.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 14th May 2013, 13:00

Car: 2013 Civic 1.6 i-DTEC EX
I have my trip counters set so that
A - auto resets to zero at every fill up
B - auto resets when I start the engine (stop start does not reset thankfully)

So always know distance and MPG for this journey or since last refill.
Thank You to helpthejuggler from 2 Users:

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 14th May 2013, 13:45

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpthejuggler View Post
I have my trip counters set so that
A - auto resets to zero at every fill up
B - auto resets when I start the engine (stop start does not reset thankfully)

So always know distance and MPG for this journey or since last refill.
Great idea. I always thought the reset trigger was shared between trip A and B.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 14th May 2013, 13:54
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 SE Blueish Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorm View Post
One thing you can't do is pull off in 2nd, used to be able to do that with the 2.2....the 1.6 does not like it, it will do it but will grumble and barely accelerate, this is to be expected from the smaller engine I guess.
Great review - not a good idea to pull off in 2nd in any diesel really though, the DMF won't like it.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 10:52 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

The 1.6 has a safeguard for this, you barely move, so it definitely stops you from doing it ha ha!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 22:55

Car: New Civic 1.6 EX July 2013
Does the EX or EXGT play DVD's then in nav unit or do you have to input from external player/ipad etc.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st May 2013, 08:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX600FMAN View Post
Does the EX or EXGT play DVD's then in nav unit or do you have to input from external player/ipad etc.
Both of these have the same Audio system and it does play DVD's, I haven't tried it yet though, plus you do also have the 3x RCA Phono inputs too.

It supports DTS but only 2 channel, shame they can't do some form of proper surround, that would be quite cool....it has a sub and 4 speakers (well 6 but 2 are the tweeters...so it's just missing the centre so guess it would have to be 4.1)
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 25th May 2013, 11:36

Car: Civic 1.6 iDTEC EX
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorm View Post
Both of these have the same Audio system and it does play DVD's, I haven't tried it yet though, plus you do also have the 3x RCA Phono inputs too.

It supports DTS but only 2 channel, shame they can't do some form of proper surround, that would be quite cool....it has a sub and 4 speakers (well 6 but 2 are the tweeters...so it's just missing the centre so guess it would have to be 4.1)
And only plays when stationary
Thanks to Slider2 from:
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 25th May 2013, 12:10
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
DVD's still play when on the move but you don't get video, just sound.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 13th June 2013, 15:45 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Update on economy...after 1,500 miles I got 65.6mpg over 562 miles.
Thanks to TheCorm from:
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 19th July 2013, 09:45

I collect Civic 1.6EX on Monday

My garage is receiving it today I think and I will collect it on Monday 22nd. I have ordered a Brodit proclip so I can mount either my old HTC HD2 or iphone. I am keeping my late 2008 Honda Jazz, so this car will get a rest and a service. I was going to stick a registration plate on I bought for my wife Eva with has EVA in the make up but decided against it. It can always be added after though. In the test drive covering 30 or so miles on dual carriage way and rubbish country lanes trying to hit every bump and still a smooth I left it back at the deal garage with 78mpg which I purposely rest when I left them. I overtook cars on the A14 and the A6 then 'nursed' the car elsewhere. I can't wait to get it to see if I can import Points Of Interest (POI) into their navigator once I see the manual. I want to import Honda garages, Asda fuel, courts and speed cameras etc like I can with my favourite navigation (IGO8). I had a quick look on PocketGPSworld but searching Honda Civic yields nothing. In my Nissan Qashqai in use a USB stick and download camera site for UK OR Europe then stick it in the car and update the camera sites, I was hoping the Civic is similar. I will let you know if I can or if you can give instruction or link to. I am waiting in the car for my wife and it is 30c here already at only 0938.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 19th July 2013, 09:58
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
There is no POI import on either of the Civic SatNav's
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 19th July 2013, 11:47 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
There is no POI import on either of the Civic SatNav's
Booooo....I hadn't looked but suspected as much....still you can see where all the Honda dealers are.......
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 19th July 2013, 14:26
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
I'm running a hard wired Garmin 50 for my PGPSW cameras.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 21st July 2013, 12:02

When I had a 'play' in it at the shop I did do some pretend findings of police stations, courts and hospitals and it did work successfully. I will still be relying on PGPSW which on my IGO8 and Iphone announces and shows upcoming camera types and speeds. Hence the ordering or the Brodit proclips, which arrived on Friday (hurray!).
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 25th July 2013, 15:30

update

I collected the 1.6EX up today ( went to Scotland for 2 days previously). Trying to get an electronic version of the manuals (nav and owners) to make it easier to read on big screen and to be able to word search. No luck on Honda web site and call customer services, who said no! So I asked them to escalate the request or pass on to engineers. It has to exist as it is what is needed by the publishers. Unless someone can point me to it. Thanks!
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 29th July 2013, 15:37

Some info is after first tank full of fuel used the computer said 70.1mpg average and my calculated consumption was 69.5mpg. Very acceptable. I have found that the car has a HDD with a 10gb capacity, I assume that the total is 16Gb and that 6Gb is reserved for the navigation maps and memory etc. It is capable of ripping CD's into this HDD, this was a pleasant surprise to me. It even names the album and tracks etc. via Gracenote (not sure what that is but will look up soon). If you do not want CD's to be ripped automatically you need to turn it off in The Hdd audio setting? I am getting used to using voice control for many functions
Honda UK are unable to provide electronic (PDF) versions of either the Owners or Navigation/Audio manuals. Also unwilling and incapable to pursue the matter. Letter to be sent in due course when I get home later this week. I can get manuals for my previous cars and even the current US versions, but they didn't even want to try to get these ( they would obviously cost less then sending out a printed paper brochure).
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 4th August 2013, 15:34

Just had my first decent motorway run in my 1.6 idtec, leeds to Liverpool, 70-75mph most of the way, 4 people in the car, Eco mode on, a/c off most of the way and no cruise control, 73mpg achieved. I'm happy enough with that, compared to max 35mpg in my old 2 litre petrol focus! Loving this car so far, bought it 2 weeks ago ex demo, only 7000 miles on the clock so still some running in to be done to get the best mpg.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 4th August 2013, 21:54

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulster View Post
Just had my first decent motorway run in my 1.6 idtec, leeds to Liverpool, 70-75mph most of the way, 4 people in the car, Eco mode on, a/c off most of the way and no cruise control, 73mpg achieved. I'm happy enough with that, compared to max 35mpg in my old 2 litre petrol focus! Loving this car so far, bought it 2 weeks ago ex demo, only 7000 miles on the clock so still some running in to be done to get the best mpg.
That is quite shocking figures. With about the same speed and passengers with the 1.5dCI qashqai I had half a year, I got about 56 mpg.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > User Reviews (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page