Fn2 review - don't listen to the majority! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 01:08 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2011 Civic Type-R
Fn2 review - don't listen to the majority!

So if your reading this, you've probably found your way here from Google as your considering an FN2 type R.
The main reason for me writing this review is simply because I get the impression that it's some how fashionable to hate the FN2 amongst type r owners, unsure why though? Maybe jealously they no longer have the newest/fancy civic type r? well... Till next year....

First things first. Yes, the car is not perfect. No car is. Even my dad's brand new 14 plate a4 has issue, it happens!
Main problem I would say is the tiny creaks you get from the dashboard, but there is a free fix... Put the radio on!
There is also the issue of overall running costs IF YOU USE A HONDA DEALER. I find I only end up constantly laying out when I take it to the honda dealer, I may just have a local dealer taking my eyes out. Since having it serviced by a friend it's been much cheaper to run!

Now one thing you may hear is "omg rear torsion bar. It's not a real Type R"... Rubbish. It has been proven that the fn2 handles just as well as the ep3. Especially facelift models with the lsd as standard.
They also moan it's slower because it's heavier and only has 1bhp more... Correct me if I'm wrong but the fn2 vtec comes in a couple hundred rpm's earlier so your quicker to the point!

Now the styling and practicality is where the fn2 wins hands down compared to the ep3. Apart from the interior squeaks mentioned before, the interior is very appealing! My fn2 is my daily to work. Now when I have a nice arm rest, fancy dials and those recaro buckets, I couldn't think of a nicer car to be in! A lot more commuter friendly than the ep3. The boot is huge, along with huge space in the back for passengers!

Performance wise. Yes the ep3 may 'feel' a bit quicker. But I believe this is mind over matter. The bigger dash makes things seem slower. However, because I feel it's a bigger car and feel more solid, I have more faith in it in the corners so I can easily take the corners harder - especially when I know the LSD has got my back . The vtec crossover is still exciting and still after 10k miles makes me grin. Especially when It engages as your passing someone

Judging how the fn2 feels more like a family sporty car than a 'yobs go-kart' as Jeremy clarkson would probably call it. I don't think honda screwed up at all. I think they got what they aimed for. A car that appeals to the uk masses yet still competes with other hot hatches performance wise and doesn't break the bank when buying.

So my conclusion would be.

If you solely want a track car. Sure get a ep3. Use the spare money to turbo/supercharge it and get yourself a older daily with the spare 700 quid.

If you want sensible daily car that you can take to the track and pull off some good times and have fun with it before picking up an ikea kitchen that will fit into the boot, get the fn2.

This is not me slamming the ep3! This is me defending the fn2 honour! I love all type-r's! And I am even thinking of a cheaper 1-2k ep3 to slam around the track with no worry of damaging it!

This is my opinion you don't have to agree with it! I primarily used the ep3 as a comparison as it's the biggest type r in the UK and I've had experience driving one!

Last edited by gg93; 15th August 2014 at 01:16.
Thanks to gg93 from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 14:40
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Black
Nice review.

I've always thought the torsion beam thing was incorrect any way.

To me a torsion beam is a beam that twist's (like a 206 or a Saxo 's rear setup), I'm sure ours have a beam that has springs and dampers on (more like a Clio Sport).

May be I'm wrong on this?

Rich
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 14:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Fn2 review - don't listen to the majority!

Thanks rich!

Yeah I spoke to some ek9 owners that mentioned the same! They actually spoke good about the fn2! Unfortunately I think the heard followed clarkson (even though top gear mag gave it a good review) but yeah I believe it's not a Saxo style beam!

Last edited by gg93; 15th August 2014 at 15:05.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 15:20
Supporter

It's funny to see all the Fn2 haters are now buying Fn2s, just wait for this same group to hate on the new R for not sticking with NA, jokes really.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 15:20
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg93 View Post
Thanks rich!

Yeah I spoke to some ek9 owners that mentioned the same! They actually spoke good about the fn2! Unfortunately I think the heard followed clarkson (even though top gear mag gave it a good review) but yeah I believe it's not a Saxo style beam!
It was the same with my old 206 Gti 180, most folk slated them (not including Clarkson) but in reality it was a very very good hot hatch and was capable of running with most other hot hatches.

Rich
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 16:00
Supporter

Quote:
There is also the issue of overall running costs IF YOU USE A HONDA DEALER. I find I only end up constantly laying out when I take it to the honda dealer, I may just have a local dealer taking my eyes out. Since having it serviced by a friend it's been much cheaper to run!
Must be chancers mate, I've had nothing but great service and value for 5 years from my local Honda dealer.

Nice review btw
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 16:05
#darkside

Car: 2015 LCI M135i
Its funny to see a review saying "the majority" which would imply most don't rate it but a few do and those who don't are all idiots? (sweeping statement for greater impact)

If you want a review to be taken seriously then you need to think about a serious title with an objective approach to the review title. Subjective shows feeling, feeling shows weakness, weakness shows no confidence.

Based on the first line alone (the tirle *sigh*) you have convinced me that the FN2 is rubbish and your justifying your purchase after feeling initially disappointed. (oh the cynic)

So that's objective perception on your review from someone reading who otherwise hasn't got an clue about the car hence looking for a post like this.

Now for my own subjective review.. I have one, it isn't as crap as top gear say and it won car of the year for top gear so that must mean everyone who has ever reviewed this car hasn't got a clue.

Now for the less cynical side to me...

Nah, that's it...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 16:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

You my good friend have spent too much of your own time, looking into the review more than you needed to! well done! :P

The point was, i wanted to put something out there that informed people not to just assume that its a poor Type R because they hear it alot from dc2/5 and ep3 owners etc.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 17:29
Supporter

Car: CTR GT
Nice review mate

To be honest, Jeremy Clarkson seems to be very stingy with giving complements to a lot of cars, including BMW, not just the Type R. I don't even care what he says about the CTR as it's got soul and character which no other hot hatch had at that time. It seemed to be Tiff Needell's favourite hot hatch in a Fifth Gear review! He knows about performance N/A cars, which is (was) Honda's specialty.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 18:16

The Top Gear episode was like 7 years ago! Get over it!

Last edited by gjackson; 16th August 2014 at 17:11.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 19:55
Supporter

Car: 59 Milano Type R
My personal opinion is that the FN2 CTR is a great car, and looks much better than the EP3.

Funnily enough, the day before I went to test drive my FN2 I came home and Top Gear was on Dave, with Clarkson test driving it.
His main "complaint" seemed to be that "it wasnt an improvement on the previous generation".

Still, at least it doesnt look like a bread van with a weird gear stick.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 20:09
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
Nice review but there are a few things that you post incorrectly....

1. Title: Don't listen to the majority? What majority? You mean a bunch of people on another forum who love to wind others up? They ain't a majority, they are a minority!

2. Why choose an EP3 for a track car? The !FN2 has a stiff chassis and handles very well. It will more than hold it's own on track.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 20:31
#darkside

Car: 2015 LCI M135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffs Deltic View Post

1. Title: Don't listen to the majority? What majority? You mean a bunch of people on another forum who love to wind others up? They ain't a majority, they are a minority!

2. Why choose an EP3 for a track car? The !FN2 has a stiff chassis and handles very well. It will more than hold it's own on track.
Far more diplomatic than my response, it was a hard hard day
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th August 2014, 22:11
Tarmacadam Terror

Car: 2010 Alabaster Silver CTR GT
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,587 Posts
Fn2 ftw that is ALL

sent from the boss droid
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 10:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffs Deltic View Post

1. True!
2. True again, but if you had a budget of 8k (average price of an fn2) and you wanted to do track days with a civic, 2.5k preface ep3, 5k turbo then 500 on a daily banger

The stock fn2 is as good as the stock ep3 on track, but I was simply stating for cost
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 11:16
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
If I had 8k I still wouldn't turbo an ep3. Sort out handling and braking and add few select parts to increase n/a power (as I've done with my FN2). Less power than turbo but less to go wrong. Then go out on track and learn to drive!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 13:43

Wow these threads are still appearing after 7 years.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 16:45
Supporter

Car: 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3
Quote:
1. True!
2. True again, but if you had a budget of 8k (average price of an fn2) and you wanted to do track days with a civic, 2.5k preface ep3, 5k turbo then 500 on a daily banger

The stock fn2 is as good as the stock ep3 on track, but I was simply stating for cost
If I had 8k for a track car I'd buy a vx220 or an Elise and laugh at type r owners who tried to keep up... Both the ep3 and fn2 are good cars but I wouldn't choose either as an out and out track car unless your willing to spend a fortune on brakes, suspension, lsd, intake, exhaust, cams etc and strip it back to bare metal... Even then they will still struggle to keep with a lightly tinkered with vx or Elise...
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 21:02 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

If I had 8k I'd get a Subaru. But then again, if someone wanted a Subaru, vx or Elise they wouldn't be browsing reviews of a civic
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th August 2014, 22:22
Supporter

Car: 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3
Quote:
If I had 8k I'd get a Subaru. But then again, if someone wanted a Subaru, vx or Elise they wouldn't be browsing reviews of a civic
Aye, but somebody who wants a turbo'd ep3 isn't going to be reading an fn2 review and comparing the two is like comparing Jordan with Sienna Miller ones a rate chavvy goer and the others a bit more upmarket with a dirty side...

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page