A few observations from 1000 miles on holiday - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 10:01 Thread Starter

Thumbs up A few observations from 1000 miles on holiday

Having just done over 1000 miles in England/Scotland, I thought a few observations would be of interest.

Fuel consumption - Journey north - 55.5 mpg, sticking to 70/75
Local running and journey south, 51.5 mpg

Overall with car (2500 miles) = 52.5 mpg

Likes - Comfortable, rides well when laden, relaxed on M'way, roomy.

Dislikes - Road noise at motorway speeds - this is a bad issue, and makes long motorway journeys tiring.
Radio sensitivity very poor - couldn't get FM stations my battery portable could easily get
Thick front pillars annoying on twisty highland roads
Regularly showered by tailgate!
Would prefer steering a touch heavier at speed

Problems - Sat nav locked up once, with map keeping moving OK, but directions pop up screen stayed 'popped up' after that point had been passed, and new directions absent. Cleared by deleting journey and re-entering destination. - Worked fine thereafter

TMC advised motorway was queued on several occasions - on the first I took the recommended deviation ........ and ended up behind traffic I had already passed when I rejoined the motorway .
After that I ignored its warnings and there were no real queues present (well not by M6 standards)

Grounded twice (luckily gently) - front spoiler is just too low for rural Scottish roads

Good points - Hands free much better after lowering mic as advised elsewhere
Fuel consumption excellent (55 mpg+) if at 70 mph ish
Cruise works very well
Low first gear excellent for really steep junctions
Firmish ride is well damped especially when laden for minor roads 'lumps and bumps' (but crashes a bit on potholes)
Interior well laid out for ease and driver comfort on long journeys

Sum up - I have done this trip annually for about 20 years in a variety of cars. The Civic is pretty good, the biggest weakness in my view being seriously poor road noise at motorway speeds on less than perfect surfaces. This becomes very tiresome on a long journey. Otherwise, a very nice car, economical, comfortable, and on smooth road surfaces, refined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 10:25
..with Superchips please!

Send a message via MSN to Trekker308
Good write-up 3rd Honda! I totally agree about the steering at speed - it's a bit light for my taste too...

Touch wood: I have found the radio in my Sport just fine, and it seems to track frequency changes OK. I sat in the New Forest tuning stations and picked up BBC Bristol (!), so no complaints on sensitivity either... The CD player doesn't exactly overwhelm you with its quality though.

Your comments about the front pillars:- Agreed, I spent a week on the West Coast of Scotland and Skye six days after picking up the Civ and being a bit nervous about a new car, the front pillar width didn't help! ...but I think that there are new cars that are a lot worse on this score!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 10:32
Supporter

I think the standard fittment tyres are the root cause of the road noise issues so with a bit of research this can be improved upon...... i will certainly be trying something different next time.

The front pillars do not bother me, in fact i think they are pretty good but i'm used to a Peugeot 206CC where these are seriously structural and even larger, so you learn to adapt ... give it a bit more time and you will get used to it... also all cars are going this way !!

Why is the mpg lower going South ... surely its downhill

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 10:42
Smell My Cheese!

Very good report 3rd Honda. I agree with the A pillar remarks, but I guess you soon learn to look around them, it can mean quite a bit of jiffling in the seat, but you can see round them, although I do not know about twisty highland roads.

I would also have thought the mpg back down would be better.

As far as the road noise, I would agree it is noisy on older stretches, but find new tarmac and it is quiet. I just turn the radio up.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 11:02

Interesting write-up 3rdHonda. I too, thought the pillars obstructed vision,

in fact I mentioned this previously, but you do get used to it.

As for the economy. You could have had a tail wind going, and the reverse

coming back. Very good economy though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 11:06
..with Superchips please!

Send a message via MSN to Trekker308
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
As far as the road noise, I would agree it is noisy on older stretches, but find new tarmac and it is quiet. I just turn the radio up.
...I knew there had to be an answer to the road noise....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 18:19
Onto my second Civic

Car: 2009 Milano Red CTR GT
Interesting reading. I can certainly echo your points on the front pillars and how the tailgate seems to accumulate water after a downpour. I'm still waiting for Honda to announce this as a "water saving" feature: catch in a bucket and re-use!

52.5 mpg overall! I seriously need to work on that, I'm still floundering in the mid-thirties.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 20:48

i also find road noise can be excessive, and yes the pillars regularly create blind spots.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 22:16
12th June 2006 1.8EX

I actually find the A pillar obstruction a whole lot less than my previous car (Rover 75). I think that all new cars suffer from this obstruction as the manufacturers had to beef them up to pass the NCAP test by passing forces suffered in an accident up to the roof.

Agree about the noise at 70 on a motorway especially over the concrete sections
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 08:59
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyCiv View Post
Agree about the noise at 70 on a motorway especially over the concrete sections
How's it with other cars on same sections?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7 View Post
How's it with other cars on same sections?
I must admit that I find it no worse given it's sporty intentions. I had a Laguna previously that was quieter, but I had a Saab 9-5 a couple of years ago that was worse.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 17:09

I currently drive a Saab 93 2006 (whilst waiting for my Civic) and have to say its so quiet at 70/80 on the motorway. I have driven many different cars (12 this year alone!!) and for decent runs on the motorway nothing has come close, inc BMW/Renault/Lexus
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 18:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the comments. The economy reflects sticking to 70 'ish', and gentle driving for the majority of the time.

As an aside, the quietest car I have driven (and owned for 8 years) was a Daimler Double Six - very near silent, but used about 3 times as much fuel as the Civic!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley RUFC View Post
I currently drive a Saab 93 2006 (whilst waiting for my Civic) and have to say its so quiet at 70/80 on the motorway. I have driven many different cars (12 this year alone!!) and for decent runs on the motorway nothing has come close, inc BMW/Renault/Lexus
I'm glad it's good, and it was what I was expecting from the Saab. Everything else about the car was great, but I was so disappointed with the amount of road noise I had a technichian from UK HQ come and take a ride in it. He agreed it was noisy but deemed it acceptable and suggested I try different tyres. It was a 1999 model, so maybe they improved.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page