First Impressions - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 20:02 Thread Starter

First Impressions

Picked up my 2.2 ES on Monday afternoon, so very early days yet!
I traded in a Seat Leon 2.0 140ps, just so you know what I am comparing it with.
So far, so good. Just driving locally, not town, but countryside, I don't seem to be able to get the fuel usage up above about 37mpg, is that normal? Certainly my Seat showed quite a bit more than that.
Gear change I don't find as free and easy as the Seat, it seems to have to be "pulled" out of second to go up into third. Hopefully it will get easier with use.
The Seat had 17" tyres,and it seems to hug the road a bit better than the Honda.
I have had 4 Seat's on the trot, and told the salesman he would do well to drag me away from Seat, and my wife kept on about we would be expecting champagne and flowers if we did the deal. When we went to pick up the car, we jokingly said, Where's the champagne then? He said they couldn't run to that. When he took us outside to explain the car to us, when he got to the boot, he opened it up and there was a bottle of cava, (all right not champagne!), a bouquet a flowers and a box of chocolates!! So top marks for the salesman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 20:07
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
i dont get much higher than around 38 to 40 mpg. Dont believe what Honda quote. They are way out with there so called combined 55 mpg.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 20:44
Mondeo Mann is here!!

Car: 59 Mondeo Zetec S TDCi
Best i get round town is 43 to 46 and on motorway and town combined about 48 to 50 mpg

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 00:00
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
both mpg and the 'box will improve over the first few thousand miles

I'm getting an average of about 43mpg from a lot of town work and roughly 15 miles of dual carriageway per day.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 00:21
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
Lucky you i get 26mpg in my R
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 17:30
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco View Post
Picked up my 2.2 ES on Monday afternoon, so very early days yet!
I traded in a Seat Leon 2.0 140ps, just so you know what I am comparing it with.
So far, so good. Just driving locally, not town, but countryside, I don't seem to be able to get the fuel usage up above about 37mpg, is that normal? Certainly my Seat showed quite a bit more than that.
Gear change I don't find as free and easy as the Seat, it seems to have to be "pulled" out of second to go up into third. Hopefully it will get easier with use.
The Seat had 17" tyres,and it seems to hug the road a bit better than the Honda.
I have had 4 Seat's on the trot, and told the salesman he would do well to drag me away from Seat, and my wife kept on about we would be expecting champagne and flowers if we did the deal. When we went to pick up the car, we jokingly said, Where's the champagne then? He said they couldn't run to that. When he took us outside to explain the car to us, when he got to the boot, he opened it up and there was a bottle of cava, (all right not champagne!), a bouquet a flowers and a box of chocolates!! So top marks for the salesman!
Is the car new/very low miles? My ES diesel with approx 9k miles did around 60 on the motorway/70mph and 41-45 around town.

On my second Civic,and both have been great cars to own and drive
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 13th March 2008, 18:13

Just got my type S GT 2.2. 600 miles on clock and I am really struggling to keep it above 35mpg. I really hope this does get better.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 16th March 2008, 01:35
Supporter

I get about 42-44 out of mine on average.
Obviously sometimes a lot less and sometimes a bit more!

About about getting champagne - when I got my flowers with my 1st service - I joked about a bottle of wine and they said they can't give out alcohol! In case you drink it on the way home!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 18th March 2008, 22:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Is the car new/very low miles?
Yes, brand new, and it has crept up to 38mpg now! Not a huge improvement,but heading the right way.
Today, as I started from cold, it sounded very rattly as I increased the revs to pull away. Even my wife commented, and she can never hear anything! That sounds very rattly! Once warmed up, it seemed OK, but has anyone else had anything similar? It has literally only done 160 miles, and obviously if it's the same tomorrow it will be going back for a check. We've only had the car a matter of days, but that is the first time we have both heard the engine that noisy! My Leon was so much quieter, I hope I'm not going to regret moving to Honda! And it was only yesterday Honda phoned me up, and I told them everything was fine!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 18th March 2008, 22:38
Supporter

Blimey - My wife's Leon sounds like an 1980's Taxi - the 2.2 Civic purrs in comparison...
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 19th March 2008, 02:25
Supporter

Quote:
Yes, brand new, and it has crept up to 38mpg now! Not a huge improvement,but heading the right way.
Today, as I started from cold, it sounded very rattly as I increased the revs to pull away. Even my wife commented, and she can never hear anything! That sounds very rattly! Once warmed up, it seemed OK, but has anyone else had anything similar? It has literally only done 160 miles, and obviously if it's the same tomorrow it will be going back for a check. We've only had the car a matter of days, but that is the first time we have both heard the engine that noisy! My Leon was so much quieter, I hope I'm not going to regret moving to Honda! And it was only yesterday Honda phoned me up, and I told them everything was fine!
The Honda 2.2 diesel is THE quietest diesel in the market at the moment... the VAG engines sound like tractors in comparison... If it's THAT loud and doesn't improve you might have to visit the dealer...
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 19th March 2008, 10:08
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
Mine was a bit rattly at when first starting it but only on very cold mornings and it soon went once it started to warm up.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 19th March 2008, 10:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Blimey - My wife's Leon sounds like an 1980's Taxi - the 2.2 Civic purrs in comparison...
!980s!!!! Were Seat around then? Seat 500? This was a 2006 Leon 2.0 140hp I expect any car 20 odd years old would be rattling a bit!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 19th March 2008, 20:01
Supporter

Quote:
!980´s!!!! Were Seat around then? Seat 500? This was a 2006 Leon 2.0 140hp I expect any car 20 odd years old would be rattling a bit!

I said it sounds like an 80's taxi (when it's cold). It's a 56 plate 2.0TDi - Nice motor - gets quieter when it's warmed up
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 19th March 2008, 20:12
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
!980s!!!! Were Seat around then?
Yes, they were founded in 1950.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 27th March 2008, 11:37

Great drive but a few dissapointments

Having traded in for a 57 2.2 SE in February 2008 from a 2004 1.6 SE the drive is remarkable. However, the following are very annoying;

Poor paintwork - Resulting in more front bonnet chips within 7 weeks than I had in 4 years with my previous Civic.

Condensation - Always there right across rear window where glass meets plastic. Apparently a characteristic of the vehicle.....

Rattling from rear - Still trying to pinpoint this

Annoying noise from front interior left - I guess the turbo is in this area but should it really be so noisy at less than 30mph?

Squeeky brakes - The car is only 6 months old but I am now getting this awful noise when the brakes are applied - sounds like metal on metal. The same noise occasionally comes in when the accelarator is depressed

If anyone can help with these niggles it would be greatly appreciated.
Its going to the dealer next week which I hope will give me more confidence if only a couple of these areas can be fully addressed
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 27th March 2008, 12:02
Supporter

My 1.8 has returned an average of 38.6 over the last 4500 miles.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 27th March 2008, 12:39

My new 2.2 EX (1,000 miles) gives 35 mpg to 40 mpg on town driving, and up to 50 mpg on mixed A road/town driving with some TLC. So far motorway driving at 75 mph (actual) seems quite thirsty - about 38mpg.

Hoping this gets better over the next few thousand miles. Anything less than 45 mpg would be a disappointment.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 27th March 2008, 12:42
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
Having traded in for a 57 2.2 SE in February 2008 from a 2004 1.6 SE the drive is remarkable. However, the following are very annoying;

Poor paintwork - Resulting in more front bonnet chips within 7 weeks than I had in 4 years with my previous Civic.

Condensation - Always there right across rear window where glass meets plastic. Apparently a characteristic of the vehicle.....

Rattling from rear - Still trying to pinpoint this

Annoying noise from front interior left - I guess the turbo is in this area but should it really be so noisy at less than 30mph?

Squeeky brakes - The car is only 6 months old but I am now getting this awful noise when the brakes are applied - sounds like metal on metal. The same noise occasionally comes in when the accelarator is depressed

If anyone can help with these niggles it would be greatly appreciated.
Its going to the dealer next week which I hope will give me more confidence if only a couple of these areas can be fully addressed
Rattling from rear - is your boot light fixed in properly? Mine wasn't attached when I bought my car and was hanging down inside the boot lining rattling around.

Squeeky brakes - There have been some cases on here of brake disks corroding! You might wanna get the dealer to check them - or the brake dust shields might be rubbing on something... give it a blast with a jet washer in the wheels and around the arches... see if that stops...?
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 27th March 2008, 12:47

Don't get me wrong, its beautiful to look at and great to drive, but the build quality on my Civic is awful. Nowhere near the standard of the Accord.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page