5 Month Review - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th March 2008, 21:37 Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to rneilg
5 Month Review

Hi all, here is my review of the car after the first 5 months of ownership.
I have the 1.8 ES model in silver.

I enjoy the glass roof and think it is an excellent option to go for.
I had optional leather seats in black and find them comfortable and the heated base and back really is a good feature.
Fuel economy is ok, I am doing around 32mpg but it is mostly urban driving. On a recent motorway trip I averaged 42 mpg. I find the engine smooth, fast and the gear change is just as smooth. Having had a 2.0 VW Tdi before this I am not particularly sorry to have switched to petrol but perhaps next time I will go for the diesel model.
The magic rear seats are amazing - a godsend if you are a golfer, you dont need to drop the seats, remove the rear shelf etc to accomadate extra bags. Recently I had 2 golf bags in the boot and lifted the rear seats, placed another bag under them and dropped the seats down allowing 3 people to travel in the car with equipment.
I like the styling of the car especially the "trophy cabinet front" as James May put it and the gator less gear stick. Along with the dashboard display these are some of the features that persuaded me to look at the Civic in the first place.

With regards to the problems listed on this forum I am pleased to say that I seem to have escaped them at the moment - not wishing to push my luck or tempt fate
I do not have clunky suspension and the area where I live is plagued with speed bumps - I have to traverse 25 bumps on the way to work....I live near a school and pass two others on my way to work!!!!
My radio reception is excellent - I travelled from South Wales (Swansea) to North Wales (Newtown) and did not have to re-tune the radio once.
My windscreen wipers do not screech and the dashboard is totally silent - no creaks at all.
I have wiped the dash display with tissues etc and not scratched it and have examined it in direct sunlight to make sure.
I have no chips on my bonnet but this could have been helped by having Gardx applied. The Gardx is god stuff, I wash the car once a month and it still beads off!
I have never used the front fog lights but they are in tact and I did purchase gray52 covers - these have had no visible signs of damage yet.

The only irritations I have are that I wish I had a rear wiper - I can live without it but if it was there I would use it - proving personally for me that one is needed.
The floor mats on the driver side always get caught under the clutch - I will buy new ones!
The build quality inside is not quite upto my previous VW - an example is on the VW you push a lid cover and it softly opens on the Civic you are not treated to such luxury. However, on my car I have to be that picky to find a fault, which ultimately is a good thing.

My dealer in Bridgend (Neil or Nellz from this forum) was very helpful and I recommend him - I havent been back to the dealers since picking up the car, so hello Neil

I do accept that some cars come off the assembly line with faults and sympathise with all the users of this forum who have been plagued with faults. I do not want to come across as someone who will reply to a fault report with "mines fine", I realise how unhelpful and frustrating that can be!!!!!

Finally this forum has been really helpful in passing on information and apart from one person who was rude to my first initial request on buying advice everyone has been great.

Thanks
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th March 2008, 22:47
Supporter

Hi good review. I have the same car and am also delighted with it. Notice you are having trouble with the drivers floor mat. I also had mine getting caught under the clutch and this was caused by the retaining plate being loose. Dealer adjusted this and all has been fine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th March 2008, 23:14
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Very good review,

You describe very well my feelings.
My car is more than one year old, with 40 000 km at the clock (second servicing is coming as well as 2 new front tyres...)

Some rattles on the dashboard, the radio is not perfect, but each time I step in it make me smile !

Coming from another brand I know what pain it is to have a car with "Problems" . and how frustrating is it when others are telling you how wonderfull the car is.

So Mr Honda please, keep your design team and improve the QA Dpt

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th March 2008, 10:19
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Excellent review and glad to hear that you are happy with your car.

I have the windscreen noise problem but not that bad actually as it comes and goes. I agree with your sentiments about the car and long may you have happiness with it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th March 2008, 10:24
Supporter

This reminds me of all those times you get 'complaints' at work. Nowadays people will complain far more readily than they will give praise. It is most refreshing to read your review which I am sure many of us will identify with. I'd post a similar review but as I am only up to a couple of months I don't want to tempt fate in any way ! For now, spot on, rneilg, with you all the way
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th March 2008, 10:33
Supporter

Garage
Good review rneilg, the civic is a great car

I wish I had the heated seats in my car sometimes!

Normally the Honda mats are ok as they have locating pins - strange that you have a problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th March 2008, 10:39
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Great review. Good to hear you are enjoying your car. As surferjr1999 says take your car back to the dealers, with the mat problem, let them sort it out. I know it is probably a simple fix but that's what your warranty is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMan View Post
Excellent review and glad to hear that you are happy with your car.

I have the windscreen noise problem but not that bad actually as it comes and goes. I agree with your sentiments about the car and long may you have happiness with it.
Happyman if it's the creaking noise you're referring to, try this mod.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/118...wl-creaks.html

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page