I was thinking of buying a 5D Civic with the 1.8 petrol engine so today i went to the dealer for a test drive.
Overall the car was ok (i couldn't say it was great) but the big dissapointment was ... the engine!
I felt the engine like it had no torque at all, even in the higher revs. Took the car all the way to 7000rpm in 1st and second gear but i was not impressed by far. I was expecting a rocket and it seemed all i got was a carriage.
I tried some regular day driving as well - kept the car in the lower ranges ( 2000-3000rpm) and then pushed the pedal to the metal. The response in speed gain i felt it was slow and i couldn't get a good sensation of acceleration.
In case you were wondering i am not currently driving a turbo-diesel
, in fact i'm driving a 1.6 16V 106CP and, to be honest, in the 2000 - 3000rpm range my current engine feels torquier than the Civic 1.8!
I know ... you're probably saying that under 3500rpm the ivtec isn't in it's thing but as i said, i took the engine all the way to the rev limit. It revs ok but it doesn't give me a feeling of good acceleration. As a matter of fact i was especially focused in sensing a difference in acceleration over the 3500rpm range but it seemed to accelerate exactly the same - no "ivtec" sensation what so ever.
I was quite fond of this car but today's driving experience set me back a long way.
Except for the engine the rest of the car felt ok.
- the PLASTIC on the doors that imitates aluminium felt really crapy
- being 1.92m tall i felt i couldn't quite see the rev clock very well because of the steering wheel
- the steering wheel felt a little bit too small in diameter and the turning circle of the car felt very large!
- there was a little noise from the AC unit when engaged (i belive the fans from the engine were to blaim)
- the material covering the seats felt low-quality
- POOR sound quality!!! those standard speakers need to go
- the suspension was just fine (i thought it would be stiffer but it was ok)
- good stability
- good AC unit
- very roomy in front and in the back as well
- unique rear seats folding method - GREAT!
- great dashboard - very gadgety
- did not find the car to be as low as i expected it to be
- the test drive car had a 12.6L/100km average - ok, giving the fact that everyone was pushing it like crazy