Accquired Taste? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 24th April 2008, 12:30 Thread Starter

Accquired Taste?

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same thought as me regarding their Civic in particular the CTR.
I recently went to Germany for five days. A bit hacked off as I could'nt take the CTR for the Autobahns! This was because the light of my life works in buisness travel so got cheap flights and car hire.
I was the only one who drove over there and it was a Ford Mondeo, very nice and comfortable.
However I then drove my CTR eight days later and was shocked at the vast difference in the ride qualitity. I almost (I did say almost) wished I was back in the Ford. These weird and evil thoughts only lasted about 15/20 miles and then normality was resumed!
It proved to me that when I brought my CTR what a good idea it was to insist on a test drive for at least three hours were you can take the car away without the salesman and see if its big enough for your golf clubs or a herd of sheep or whatever you need it for. Also to see if you can live with such major issues as the non independant suspension.
I often pick up a colleage for work, he did mention the harsh ride (its on country roads), but on the third trip he did not and has not since and is always egging me on to "open her up a bit".
This also IMHO applies to the rear window , I don't find it a restricted view at all, But it was briefly, after driving the Ford until I got used to it again!
I would still gladly go through this "getting used to it again" process as many times as needed because at the end of the day my CTR makes me bloodly well smile!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 24th April 2008, 16:01
R-2
geekess

Car: 2010 Mugen 200 Type R
Send a message via MSN to R-2
If i was only interested in driving from A to B or i was buying a car i would only ever be a passenger in then i would probably give priority to comfort. If a car is a very comfortable ride it generally (but by no means always) is not so much fun to drive. It is the way it is designed/set up for smoothness and comfort that insulates you from the driving experience, feel of the road etc.

When you drive the CTR you can feel the road and the car becomes a part of you. This allows you to almost instinctively know the right point to accelerate out of a corner, when to brake etc etc.
Most of all its fun

So i don't think its an acquired taste more a case of horses for courses

Pleased your weird thoughts only lasted a short time Adengunner - but how long would it have taken you to get bored with your comfortable Mondeo? Its a very good car and will be perfect for many people but the fact you chose a CTR suggests not for you

Last edited by R-2; 24th April 2008 at 17:23. Reason: spelling!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 24th April 2008, 17:03
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-2 View Post
Pleased your wierd thoughts only lasted a short time Adengunner - but how long would it have taken you to get bored with your comfortable Mondeo? Its a very good car and will be perfect for many people but the fact you chose a CTR suggests not for you

R-2 is exactly right, anyway thank God you came to you senses.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 24th April 2008, 18:44

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
i just got back in my type-s 1.8 after three days in an opel corsa 1.3 tdci. Now i know that these two cars are in a different class but still, the difference!!!!
Really dont like the turboing effect of a diesel now, each time you get pressed back in the seat but then suddenly all power seems to have disappeared (flat or even descending torque curve after 3000 rpm), no i prefer the reving of my 1.8 petrol.
Glad i got it back
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 24th April 2008, 23:38
R-2
geekess

I drove an Astra 1.7 diesel from Geneva to Val d'Isere and back in February. I can't tell you how pleased i was to get back into my CTR at the airport. If i could have hugged my car i would have

The Astra was sooo sluggish and the gear box clunky and horrible. The cornering was appalling compared to my car

When i drove out of the airport in my car i set off like a bat out of hell as i had got so used to the unresponsiveness of the Astra
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th April 2008, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADENGUNNER View Post
These weird and evil thoughts only lasted about 15/20 miles and then normality was resumed!

15-20 mins of playing with the VTEC zone? lol
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2008, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
i just got back in my type-s 1.8 after three days in an opel corsa 1.3 tdci. Now i know that these two cars are in a different class but still, the difference!!!!
Really dont like the turboing effect of a diesel now, each time you get pressed back in the seat but then suddenly all power seems to have disappeared (flat or even descending torque curve after 3000 rpm), no i prefer the reving of my 1.8 petrol.
Glad i got it back
You can't really compare an Opel Corsa 1.3 TDci (do that make them that small?!?) with a Honda 2.2 CTDI. The Opel does not have variable vane/nozzle turbo, so you get a turbo lag that is simply not present in the Honda (or Audi, Skoda or VW for that matter).
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2008, 21:55
Supporter

Having been driving both a Saab 9-3 and a Zafira for the last 2 years, I can categorically say that the car is MUCH more comfortable than both. Also, from a reliability point of view, if I get all the common problems outlined on here, it probably be only 1/10 of those I had with the Saab.

Be grateful for what you have - stunning styling and a big smile when I put my right foot down!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2008, 08:54

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
You can't really compare an Opel Corsa 1.3 TDci (do that make them that small?!?) with a Honda 2.2 CTDI. The Opel does not have variable vane/nozzle turbo, so you get a turbo lag that is simply not present in the Honda (or Audi, Skoda or VW for that matter).
As i said, the two are from different classes and i dont drive the diesel but the petrol so will not and cant compare the two. However the diesel turbo lag is something that is present in every diesel imo, driving my dads audi just needs a bit more paying attention to make sure you dont go below 1700 rpm. Diesels are motorway darlings which they are designed forn not city driving. Here in belgium everyone wanted to buy a diesel because of cheap fuel price and discounts. But now with the rising diesel prieces, the petrolheads are returning. AND BOY THE SMOKE IT MAKES, YIKES i feel unhealthy whenever i see a diesel accelerating and then light up a smoke
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2008, 09:46

Driving a CTR after using an Army land rover (with no turbo, no power steering) for week was pure joy! Didn't need VTEC for a while as the idle revs had more power. Felt strange to turn the steering wheel and the car actually change direction.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2008, 20:41

I agree with you regarding the hard ride. I find the R's ride OK somedays and terrible others. I had a EP3 Type R before, and the ride seemed softer in that...

I get to drive my Dad's Mondeo now and again. As you say it's very comfortable. Its an auto box as well so you just tend to 'waft' about smoothly. No creaks or rattles either.

I wouldn't buy one though...but the new 2.4 Accord, now there's another question.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2008, 21:46
R-2
geekess

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawnr View Post
I had a EP3 Type R before, and the ride seemed softer in that...
Interesting how experiences vary. I found the ride to be quite a lot harder in the EP3.
Long journeys in it were quite tiring because of it (also the noise). Every passenger i have ever had ride in both cars also thinks that the FN2 is more comfortable.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2008, 21:53
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
This my first R its been trouble free motoring . Apart form loads of fuel , well you cant win them all.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 14th June 2008, 15:29
Mondeo Mann is here!!

Car: 59 Mondeo Zetec S TDCi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
As i said, the two are from different classes and i dont drive the diesel but the petrol so will not and cant compare the two. However the diesel turbo lag is something that is present in every diesel imo, driving my dads audi just needs a bit more paying attention to make sure you dont go below 1700 rpm. Diesels are motorway darlings which they are designed forn not city driving. Here in belgium everyone wanted to buy a diesel because of cheap fuel price and discounts. But now with the rising diesel prieces, the petrolheads are returning. AND BOY THE SMOKE IT MAKES, YIKES i feel unhealthy whenever i see a diesel accelerating and then light up a smoke
Sorry never seen any diesel smoke out of the back of my diesel civic or any other. Mainly see a black plume of smoke coming out of a F*rd or VW diesel though
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 14th June 2008, 15:30
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf79 View Post
Sorry never seen any diesel smoke out of the back of my diesel civic or any other. Mainly see a black plume of smoke coming out of a F*rd or VW diesel though
lol where have you been smurf ?
can't speak of the civ but generally when you floor it in a diesel a black cloud of smoke can be seen
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 16th July 2008, 20:29

Depends on how well the engine is maintained. You wan't see it in an Audi/VW/Skoda or a Civic for that matter.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 16th July 2008, 20:37
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Ive seen it in civic's
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 17th July 2008, 09:25
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
Indeed, If you have black smoke comming out of your diesel, it's that sign that you don't rev a lot. Diesels that don't go over 2500 rpm build up soot in the exhaustpipe. Then when the pipe is hot and you rev your diesel up to 3000 or more rpm, you get a big could of black smoke.

There are fuel additions to counterfeit that. STP has a very well product for that, Marly also. When you put a bottle of that in your tank, go driving on a highway for about 50-60 kilometers and rev high. You will not have any black smoke anymore
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 17th July 2008, 09:32
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-rsca View Post
Indeed, If you have black smoke comming out of your diesel, it's that sign that you don't rev a lot. Diesels that don't go over 2500 rpm build up soot in the exhaustpipe. Then when the pipe is hot and you rev your diesel up to 3000 or more rpm, you get a big could of black smoke.

There are fuel additions to counterfeit that. STP has a very well product for that, Marly also. When you put a bottle of that in your tank, go driving on a highway for about 50-60 kilometers and rev high. You will not have any black smoke anymore
Shell V-Power diesel also burns clean
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 17th July 2008, 10:03
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNumpty View Post
Shell V-Power diesel also burns clean
no that good as these products. I run on V-Power with my Volvo 460, but when i don't add Marly or STP and i go driving on the highway, i still have a cloud of black smoke.

*Just 4 more weeks for my civic*

Last edited by anti-rsca; 17th July 2008 at 10:06.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page