First impression of EX v Sport - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th May 2008, 22:15 Thread Starter
Bournemouth Belle

Car: 2017 BMW Z4 Silver
First impression of EX v Sport

I picked up my new Blueish Silver 08 plate EX on a week ago, on the 29th, having traded in my 06 model, 56 plate Alabaster Silver 1.8 Sport.

I went up to my cousins on Friday, at Clay Cross, near Chesterfied, Derbyshire for a family occasion and the trip from our house in Bournemouth by the easiest/most direct route is 215 miles. A good run for the car. We caught all the traffic on Friday, and were on the road for 6 hours (!!) even doing detours (by sat nav) to avoid the worst of the jams on the M1 and driving sensibly with a new engine. The car has now done around 525 miles in total. It took just 4 hours to come home Sunday afternoon even stopping for coffee and petrol. Saw 3 civics on the way up and 5 on the way back.

The mpg over the 525 miles has averaged at 41.8 mpg. It was showing an average of just 24.6 mpg around town and with 75 miles on the clock before the trip, and is now dropping around town again.

I wondered whether I would find much difference between the two (apart from the spec) and there are a few things :
There is no clunking from the suspension. Although I was told my shocks were Ok on the Sport there was always a creak and a bit of a clunk when first setting off, ie reversing off my drive, but there is none with the new car.
The handling seems a bit better too, eg there is a bend on the A31 which I have never liked and which the Sport took OK, but the EX corners as tho on rails.
The doors shut better, and are easy to open – the Sport’s rear doors were never easy to open.

I found the sat nav really good, even round the little villages around Clay Cross but interestingly, it took us different ways to my sisters tomtom. I have the 3.23 version but there are things that are out of date – eg petrol stations locally not showing which have been there for years and vice versa i.e. some sites have not been petrol stations for years and are showing as such. The HFT Bluetooth worked well although Mr Lippy had to speak loudly (shout) on the motorway for the caller to hear clearly.

Overall, the EX is better, so maybe Honda have tweaked a few things.

PS one of my sisters , who drives a Merc, had a lift when 'oop north' (had never been in the Alabaster Silver) and was most impressed, commented 'it's like a cockpit in here!' - to which I replied thats why we call them spaceships!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th May 2008, 06:57
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Ta for the info:

Quote:
The HFT Bluetooth worked well although Mr Lippy had to speak loudly
Do the DIY foam pad fix. It makes a big difference not having any airgap between the microphone housing and the plastic grille. I can almost whisper at 70mph and still be understood quite clearly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th May 2008, 07:20
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Very good review! I am most impressed with the handling on mine too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th May 2008, 18:59 Thread Starter
Bournemouth Belle
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post

Do the DIY foam pad fix. It makes a big difference not having any airgap between the microphone housing and the plastic grille. I can almost whisper at 70mph and still be understood quite clearly.
Thanks for that Kremmen - will do this as it was difficult to make ourselves understood at 70mph!! Slower speeds were better but not brilliant.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th May 2008, 00:02
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Nice write up
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th May 2008, 00:16
Captain Slog

Car: 07 2.2 NHB sunroof & camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I went up to my cousins on Friday, at Clay Cross, near Chesterfied, Derbyshire for a family occasion and the trip from our house in Bournemouth by the easiest/most direct route is 215 miles. A good run for the car. We caught all the traffic on Friday, and were on the road for 6 hours (!!) even doing detours (by sat nav) to avoid the worst of the jams on the M1 and driving sensibly with a new engine. The car has now done around 525 miles in total. It took just 4 hours to come home Sunday afternoon even stopping for coffee and petrol. Saw 3 civics on the way up and 5 on the way back.
Derbyshire seems to be the forgotten place when it comes to the roads, the bit between where you are coming from, and where you're going to....

LJ
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th May 2008, 00:21
Captain Slog

Car: 07 2.2 NHB sunroof & camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
I thought this had been fixed from 2007 .... I'll have to look into this one !

LJ
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th May 2008, 06:57

That's good mpg you were getting for a petrol too. I hope my diesel can do a little better when it arrives

Is there a how to on this foam pad mod?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th May 2008, 18:47 Thread Starter
Bournemouth Belle
** Thread starter **

[quote=Chris_J;
Is there a how to on this foam pad mod?[/quote]

Yes, its in the wiki - I have printed it off and will be asking Mr Lippy to have a look/do it sometime over the weekend.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page