18 Months Down The Line...How We Doing? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 21:59 Thread Starter

18 Months Down The Line...How We Doing?

Hi everyone. After having initially registered to Civ Info back in Aug 2006 I picked my then new 1.8 EX i-shift and merrily toodled off into the sunset. Having spent the last 18 months living/loving and loathing various good, bad and ugly parts of my driving experience I'd like to share some opinions and see what others think - especially concerning the i-shift.

With one major exception (the i-shift) I generally like the car - a lot. I still look at it and get pumped by just how exciting the styling is. It isn't the fastest car, but I have found that if you really stick your foot down and keep it there you can get her to move somewhat faster than most other cars on the road (within the same kind of price range).

But before we get too gushy let me unburden my two biggest gripes - the difficulty in parking and the inconsistent (not to mention sometimes downright dangerous) i-shift operation.

The parking is really down to me - I bought the car palpably being able to see that I couldn't see! As with the i-shift, I just thought it would be something I would get used to, but even with parking sensors I am suprised at just how little can be seen out the back. Coupled with the lack of a rear windscreen wiper it must be close to being deemed illegal in that vision is severely impaired, if not obliterated. The large door mirrors however do help and, as I said, what you (can't) see is what you get.

The i-shift remains a mystery to me. I am constantly asked my opinion about this and would I buy another one having used this car for a significant amount of time. Hmmm...I think my answer would have to be that whilst I would have no real qualms about buying another Honda, the i-shift is potentially life threatening and a very, very difficult way to drive a car.

The problem, I think, lies in the extremely low gear ratios. The car will happily pull away up to 15/20 mph in first/second but once you go a bit faster the car will then try and select any gear between 3rd to 6th. On occasion, if you accelerate in 2nd to 35mph the car will stop dead in the road for a second or two whilst it works out what gear to be in, if you're going up or down, and then even when it does decide what to do will then invariably change down - another action which costs another second. So you could well be stuck in the middle of the road for some considerable time (or just keep your foot down whilst the engine screeches away in 2nd for five seconds before it changes up). THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

I believe the second generation i-shifts have been cured by simply increasing the gear ratios, in which case I'm sure they are good cars to drive. But it is also the inconsistent way in which the above happens - sometimes (especially when the car is warm) it'll perform perfectly naturally. But every now and again...

It isn't good enough to say "adapt your driving style" - the car should be easy and pleasurable to drive. In 'manual' it is just that - but I didn't buy it to be manual .

With those negatives I must say that the positives do make up for a lot. Even though there has been other minor issues (such as the ridiculous issue with the fuel filler cap not being released due to the design of the cable!) my local dealer has identified, notified me and fixed them in a timely manner.

As a counter to what I believe to be an extreme safety issue with the i-shift, I had an accident not two days after I bought the car when some daft bugger went straight through a stop and give way line - not a major crash admittedly but neither I or, more importantly, my then 8 month old grandson had a scratch.

I do think the road noise is a bit excessive but not really anything drastic. Road handling/ride quality is good enough for me - but then most of my driving is to work and back or poodling around town so it's hardly "The Fast and The Furious" type stuff. A couple of things that I really like are the hands free (though I have never drive another modern car to compare it against) and the Sat Nav - which, especially for the market of the car - is superb.

The stereo is good enough (I personally would like it to be louder but you can't please everyone) and I do like the idea of using voice commands to activate certain operations - though in practice by the time you've selected the voice button and told the car what you want it to do you might just have well of done it yourself!

Fuel economy...hmmm..not sure. The car tells me that I average around 30 - 35mpg around town - which is very good. But it has also told me that on a jaunt around the M25 with the cruise control locked on 55mph (that was exciting!) that I was getting over 70mpg. The manual says the most I will get is 45!! Bizzarre .

So, all in all how do I feel about the car 18 months on...?

Looks : 10/10
Interior design: 10/10
Cockpit/Dashboard: 10/10
Ride: 8/10
Practicality: 7/10 (loses points for poor visibility)
Comfort: 8/10
Economy: 9/10
Safety: 10/10
Gearbox - manual: 8/10
Gearbox - i-shift: 2/10
Storage: 7/10
Is it cool? 20/10 you betcha!!

Should YOU buy it?????

If you like the looks then yes - but get the '07/'08 version or the 2.2 diesel.

It's just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 23:00
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Nice review thanksdenis.

An update is available to all i-shift gearboxes now. It transforms the performance of the gearbox by making the shifts a LOT quicker and generally making the gearbox more predictable.

Time to phone the dealer and get your car booked in
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th May 2008, 23:15
The Talented Mr. Robbieee

Car: Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Nice review

I used to live in Crawley, was down there for 2 years....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 01:24
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Good review td!
Personally I'll stick to the manual gearbox no matter what!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksdenis View Post
Safety: 10/10
No. I crashed two months ago and injured. My ankle and knee are broken as EuroNCAP says on their homepage. So the Civic does not have five stars. The pedals are not safe and Civic must have knee airbag about dashboard construction.

Last edited by Prezsi; 16th May 2008 at 19:03. Reason: kerb=knee lol :)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 10:05

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezsi View Post
No. I crashed two months ago and injured. My ankle and kerb are broken as EuroNCAP says on their homepage. So the Civic does not have five stars. The pedals are not safe and Civic must have kerb airbag about dashboard construction.
it also depends of the crash conditions off course, when crashing at 100 + km, euro ncap tests are not worth anything...

Good review by the way
i have never had the chance to drive an i-shift civic and after reading all the problems people are getting from it, i really just want to give it a try.
Parking is indeed a true pain sometimes with this car, this is something i didnt try out om my test drive and already after a couple days i noticed that parking just didnt go as smooth as previous cars. The big turning circle and poor rear visibility are a key factor here.
All the rest i totally agree
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
it also depends of the crash conditions off course, when crashing at 100 + km, euro ncap tests are not worth anything...
Yes.

It was a frontal crash with Rover 25 and not at 100+ km/h. The another driver's clavicle broken only. The Rover 25 has three stars . Since I walking on crutches because I was in the safe Civic and not a smaller Rover LOL.

Real dummies, no EuroNCAP...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 12:20
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezsi View Post
No. I crashed two months ago and injured. My ankle and knee are broken as EuroNCAP says on their homepage. So the Civic does not have five stars. The pedals are not safe and Civic must have knee airbag about dashboard construction.
Quite correct, it only has four.

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Search results

The 2008 model years safety has been improved by minor changes which whilst they dont remove the issues you speak of, they certainly lessen them.

Still, a damn sight safer than a Rover 25 though.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 13:06
Supporter

But a disappointing rating nonetheless, especially:

a) when Honda's press releases at the time spoke of anticipated 5-star rating.
b) compared to the opposition.

Needless to say, with the new Accord Honda haven't said much about NCAP ratings. Doubtless it will get a 5, but I think they've learnt their lesson from the Civic and CR-V publicity debacles. As for saying it's still better than a Rover 25. Well, yes, it is. But that was designed back in late 90s!

Last edited by jayt43; 17th May 2008 at 13:08.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 14:14
Bournemouth Belle

Car: 2017 BMW Z4 Silver
Good review!

Agree with your 'marks' except for the i-shift as have manual, but will say that I have just changed my 56 plate civvie for an 08 plate, and I think there is a real difference in the ride, so on an 08 plate ride is 10/10.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 17:59
pcr

That NCAP rating disappointed me as I would think that Honda could have put the effort in to correct the problem, rather than rushing the car to market. Imo the statement "anticipated 5-star rating" was deliberately misleading.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 19:51
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great review and some well thought out comments.

Glad to see you like the car
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 22:21
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 5D SE, Galaxy Grey
The NCAP rating is 4 stars, and in the Civic from 07 and forward scored 32 points, but remember that the 5-star rating is given at 33 points. The difference is fairly marginal.

It is also fairly likely that a software fix for the Airbag could solve. The timing for the airbag was not perfect. Nissan did this for the 2008 Navarra's horrible crossed out star rating and got 3 extra stars for modifying software.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th May 2008, 14:07
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
dont forget also that as each year passes and models get amendments etc, the NCAP tests also alter, they are consistently making it harder and harder to obtain the 5 star rating as well.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page